• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swindler's List??

Hit list - McKenzie says he's among public officials marked for death
    published: Monday | July 7, 2008

Mark Beckford, Staff Reporter

Security has been heightened for some public officials after the disclosure by Kingston Mayor Desmond McKenzie that his name was one of several on a high-profile hit list.

Speaking yesterday at a Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) Area Council One meeting at the Little Copa Club in Bull Bay, St Andrew, McKenzie placed the threat on his life in the context of the aftermath of the shooting death of Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) Chairman Douglas Chambers.

Chambers was murdered two Fridays ago at the entrance to the Spanish Town bus depot in St Catherine.

McKenzie told the meeting he was not afraid. "I understand that there is a list that is out there that has the names of persons who are working for the interest of this country. I understand my name is on it ... . As far as I am concerned, I will never allow anybody, whether real or imaginary, to derail the work that I am doing," he said to shouts of approval from JLP supporters.

New knowledge

When The Gleaner spoke with McKenzie after the meeting, he said his security had been reviewed in light of his new knowledge, but he was reticent about other details such as other names on the list.

"I don't want to call people's names to create any unnecessary problems for them, but the list does exist," he insisted.

The mayor said he had ramped up security for himself and his family.

Unconfirmed reports reached The Gleaner that the police showed McKenzie a hit list with 11 names, including his.

Weeks ago, McKenzie had claimed that he had also received death threats in reference to a clampdown on extortion in downtown Kingston.

The motive

Chambers' death has sparked speculation about the motive. The shooting last week of Shalman Scott, a former mayor of Montego Bay, further added to the debate about whether there was a coordinated attack on public figures.

Director of communications for the Jamaica Constabulary Force, Karl Angell, told The Gleaner that he was not aware of any such list.

Assistant Commissioner of Police Les Green, under whose remit the Major Investigation Task Force falls, said the investigation into Chambers' murder has not suggested that he was on a list of public officials who were being targeted.

When contacted by The Gleaner yesterday, the minister of national security, Colonel Trevor MacMillan, said he had no knowledge of the compilation.

"I must confess that I haven't seen a list," he said.

MacMillan also declined to comment on whether the security arrangements for public officials had been reviewed in light of the Chambers murder and McKenzie's pronouncements.

Minister of Transport and Works Mike Henry, who is also acting as interim chairman of the JUTC, said he was not aware of a list either.

"I haven't seen any list with anybody's name, I don't know if my name is on any list. I know that there are threats floating around; I heard that people have received threats, I have not listened in on it."

Mum on security

While not disclosing whether his security had been increased, Henry said he was taking all the necessary precautions to ensure his safety.

He expressed some regret that he had not assigned additional security personnel to Chambers.

"The only regret I could have is not perhaps telling somebody to follow him regardless, because we discussed it ... . So, yes, I would have a regret now."

Chambers was offered security but he reportedly refused it.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Who are the Swindlers ??

Comment

The extortionists?
      Peter R

Comment

Working...
      X