(Glen J &) The Grace Thrillers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Glen J &) The Grace Thrillers!

Gamma, the surprises never seem to end!! I didn’t realize that anyone here knew Glen Johnson! This keyboard player, my very close friend, was the musical arranger for the Grace Thrillers from the very late 1970s and during much of the 1980s before he migrated from Jamaica in the mid 1980s.

However, Glen did not play “multiple instruments” as you suggested. He played all keyboards, but no other instrument despite the fact that at that time he was also a very good guitarist. A number of different players played the other instruments on recordings and tours (guys like Tony Hutton on bass and, on most of the recordings, Lennox Gordon on lead guitar).

In the early 1970s, Jamaican gospel was ruled by two recording artists: Claudelle Clarke and Otis Wright. However, by the the formative years of the mid 1970s and early 1980s, the main competing gospel groups in Kingston was the Insights gospel band and the Noel Willis-led Grace Thrillers. The Insights, when compared with the Grace Thrillers was like the radical Rolling Stones (the Insights) vs. the Beatles (the Grace Thrillers). A very charismatic blind saxophone player led the Insights group. Kingston teens, especially the “Youth for Christ” crowd, loved the Insights group passionately as those guys played a large number of authentic reggae gospel (their biggest hit was a reggae remake of the popular gospel number, “Highway to Heaven”).

Back in the late 1970s, for the “high brows,” it was David Keane and the Sunshine Singers. However, by the 1980s, new groups such as The Maranatha Affair (with its overweight, ultra-charismatic bass player) and the Ambassadors among others had come to challenge the dominance of the Grace Thrillers, the Insights, and David Keane.

By the late 1980s, Noel Willis had met with Grub Cooper, who then took over as arranger following the departure of Glen Johnson. From the late 1980s, Grub Cooper on drums and that blind keyboard player in the Fab Five Inc. played the drums and keyboards on the Grace Thrillers’ recordings. Although the blind keyboardist played a number of synthesized instruments (for example he played bass and horns on the synthesizer), occasionally other guys were used on additional instruments. With Grub Cooper and the radical change he brought (the Grace Thrillers for the first time began recording songs in reggae and soca rhythms, something Glen Johnson never ever attempted as arranger), the Grace Thrillers’ popularity reached its zenith!

What many people don’t realize is that the Grace Thrillers has had an extremely large personnel turnover! There were about a million singers (LOL) since the group was formed by Noel Willis back in the early to mid 1970s!

The Grace Thrillers today has changed dramatically, with Willis’ son and some other young people forming the core of the group. Leroy Smith, Shirley Willis and other old timers had split from the group in less than desired ways by the start of the 21st century.

Sadly, Shirley Willis, who is divorced from Noel Willis, is at the present time in the KPH in a coma following a serious car accident some two weeks or so ago. I believe the accident happened in Portmore – no one else was in her car at the time.

i thought he also played guitars on the records...but i will defer to you.....glen grew up 5 houses from where i grew up in clarendon. i think he may still be in the bahamas.

his brother Tad is to begin teaching my youngest the keyboard this summer and another of his brothers teaches spanish as a second language.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Re: Glen J.

Gamma, I'm still surprised that anyone on this forum knew Glen Johnson! Just goes to show how small our world really is!

Yes, Glen went to live in the Bahamas back in around 1985, but today he's no longer in the Bahamas. He migrated to the USA around three or four years ago, and is the musical arranger and choir master for a fairly prominent church somewhere (can't remember which state for sure).

You say you're from Clarendon. Well, Glen played with a band called the Sonic Salvation gospel group, which was led by a white Englishman (a drummer) and based in Frankfield. After Sonic Salvation, Glen went on to join the Grace Thrillers.

Comment

the drummer was called "skip"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The Guitar Players

Glen was an excellent guitarist, having studied both guitar and keyboard at the Jamaica School of Music. But he didn’t normally play guitars on Grace Thrillers’ albums (although to be fair, he may have done so on one or two songs that I cannot remember right now).

Lennox Gordon was the main guitarist that Noel Willis used during the Glen Johnson days. In fact, Lennox (along with bassist Anthony Hutton) was with the Grace Thrillers from its inception in the early 1970s (in the days when Emmanuel Banton was the lead singer), and even after Lennox started having psychological problems, he was still used on their recording sessions. (Grace Thrillers’ hits like “By the Grace of God” and most of the others from the pre-Grub Cooper days generally featured Lennox Gordon on lead guitar, although occasionally one or two other guitarists would crop up on some songs.)

Comment

Sonic Salvation's Drummer

Damn Gamma, you know what you’re talking about, boss!!!

Yes, Sonic Salvation’s drummer was called “Skip” (real name Deniz Onac). Skip migrated to the Bahamas around the same time as Glen did. However, as far as I'm aware Skip left the Bahamas for his native England more than a decades ago.

Since you know Sonic Salvation, you may have recalled that band’s bass player. Sadly, the bass player was killed in a freak traffic accident in Grand Cayman last year.

Comment

Working...
            X