Jesse Helms: Bigot to the end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesse Helms: Bigot to the end

Never forgot this ad which appealed to white racists in North Carolina during his re-election campaign for US Senator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIyewCdXMzk
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

The great Michael Jordan had a chance to endorse Harvey Gantt but claimed that he didn't want to get into politics and that white people bought his shoes too.

Idiot!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Idiot because him nuh want to mingle in politics.

Good business move on his part. Sounds like a smart man.

Comment

Oooooh! He got me started.

Republicans Wear Sneakers Too: Michael Jordan endorses Harvey Gantt

by alpolitics

Sat Jul 05, 2008 at 09:02:00 PM PDT

We continue to mourn the passing of one of the most ardent supporters of progressive ideas and values in Jesse Helms. Anyways, we really remember Jesse Helms mostly for his race baiting, opposition to funding for the Arts, opposition to funding for AIDS and his challenges in the 1990's by Charlotte Mayor Harvey Gantt where the race card was played.
        This race was one of my earliest memories of electoral politics and the nastiness in political ads. I also remember being betrayed when world basketball superstar and businessman Michael Jordan failed to endorse the liberal Progressive Black Mayor of Charlotte over the icon of Republican Rural Values and Antagonistic Ideas in Jesse Helms. He simply said when asked for his endorsement of Gantt , "Republicans Wear Sneakers Too."
        I was real interested to find out if anyone replayed this comment or if Jordan every issued an apology, etc. I found this spoof article this morning regarding Jordan learning of the passing of Helms. About a decade or two late this endorsement would have been.

Jordan said,
        "What I said was true - Republicans buy sneakers. And usually full retail. But I've since realized that there are more important things than money, or market share or the Jordan brand."
        Later in the article Jordan also said,
        "A number of years back, I was in Raleigh at some function and I was introduced to the Senator. 'Hello Senator Helms, nice to meet you,' I say, offering my hand. He looks up at me, sizes up my hand, and smiles like he's addressing the help back at the plantation: 'Nice to meet you too, Fred.' I'm like, Fred, huh? No, it's Michael, Michael Jordan, the basketball player. He just goes, 'Nice to meet you Fred.' That's one crazy mother (muffled)."
        Someone later told Jordan that Helms had a "humorous habit" of calling all black people "Fred."
        "Yeah, humorous. Hilarious. It was then that I realized I made a mistake, I should have come out to support the brother. Let him know, if he runs again, give my office a call, we'll hit the campaign up with all the Air Jordans and Jordan brand apparel they need. On the house. It would be my honor to be the official sponsor - along with Gatorade and Hanes -- of Harvey Gantt's next campaign."
        I certainly found that spoof article rather humorous. I do reflect upon what might have been had Jordan actually supported Gannt. Would he have finally ended the career of this homophobic, racist bastion of the Republican Party in the South? At the time, pundits believed that MJ's endorsement would have mattered.
        Or maybe they were just finding a way to criticize the golden one.
        Either way these are just my reflections on the Jesse Helms/ Harvey Gantt election that may or may not have changed politics in this country.
        I find it interesting to note that in 2008 we have several celebrities and sports personalities that have gotten involved in the Presidential election. Did that really change anyone's opinions? Certainly these endorsements are helpful in raising money and gaining suport, but in terms of moving the electorate to vote a certain way that remains to be seen. I certainly think in North Carolina in 1990 and 1996 Harvey Gannt would have picked up some support with MJ's endorsement.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Jesse Helms' Death Prompts Michael Jordan to Issue Belated Endorsement of Harvey Gantt

The Sportsman's Daily | Bio

RALEIGH, N.C. (Sportsman's Daily Wire Service) -- Former Charlotte, N.C., Mayor Harvey Gantt, an African-American, twice ran and lost U.S. Senate challenges to unseat arch-conservative Jesse Helms. When approached by Gantt's campaign for an endorsement, former Tar Heel Michael Jordan famously replied, "Republicans buy sneakers, too."

While he's caught heat for it over the years, Jordan's never addressed it beyond those brief dismissive remarks. With Helms' passing on July 4, Jordan took a breather from an all-night poker game to break his silence on the controversial subject.

"What I said was true - Republicans buy sneakers. And usually full retail. But I've since realized that there are more important things than money, or market share or the Jordan brand."

Jordan paused. He then tented his fingers, looked around the room, and furrowed his brow as though in deep thought. His lips moved as though they were about to form words, but none came. About ninety tense seconds passed before Jordan finally spoke.

"When I played there's twenty thousand fans in the stands, all cheering for you, right? But how do you know the guy in section C isn't a pedophile, or the dude in row 8 isn't a serial killer, or the father of three sitting courtside isn't screwing the nanny? As a player you know going in that, statistically speaking, part of your fan base should be behind bars, no question. So what do you do - other than tighten security -- not let them into the game when they've paid for the seats?"

Jordan was asked if he was likening Nike-buying Republicans with pedophiles, serial killers and husbands that take liberties with the Brazilian nanny.

"Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of a Swedish nanny. Seeing what Tiger wound up with, it's not a bad way to go. Definitely an option."

Jordan was brought back on track when asked if he'd ever met the five-term Senator.

"A number of years back, I was in Raleigh at some function and I was introduced to the Senator. 'Hello Senator Helms, nice to meet you,' I say, offering my hand. He looks up at me, sizes up my hand, and smiles like he's addressing the help back at the plantation: 'Nice to meet you too, Fred.' I'm like, Fred, huh? No, it's Michael, Michael Jordan, the basketball player. He just goes, 'Nice to meet you Fred.' That's one crazy mother (muffled)."

Someone later told Jordan that Helms had a "humorous habit" of calling all black people "Fred."

"Yeah, humorous. Hilarious. It was then that I realized I made a mistake, I should have come out to support the brother. Let him know, if he runs again, give my office a call, we'll hit the campaign up with all the Air Jordans and Jordan brand apparel they need. On the house. It would be my honor to be the official sponsor - along with Gatorade and Hanes -- of Harvey Gantt's next campaign."

While Gantt, who manages a successful architectural practice, remains active in politics, he is said to have no plans to run for public office anytime in the near future. "Tell Michael, thanks, but he can keep his endorsement. Back in the day, great, but these days Michael Jordan is synonymous with the Charlotte Bobcats, who are synonymous with train wreck. I mean, one bad decision after another...to anyone outside North Carolina, Michael Jordan is a god. Here, he's just an incompetent basketball executive who's making it awful hard for an entire city to be proud of its team. Hell, even Jesse Helms would make a better NBA exec than Michael Jordan, which is saying a lot when you wonder where Helms would get NBA caliber-players from, as he liked blacks almost as much as he liked Europeans - which is to say, not much."

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

TERENCE SMITH: John McCain trailed with $2.4 million. But how effective are the ads? Consultant Bill Carrick questioned the message of this Bill Bradley ad featuring basketball star Michael Jordan.
            MICHAEL JORDAN: That's why I'm supporting Bill Bradley for president. Shouldn't you?
            BILL CARRICK: I've had colleagues who focus-grouped this ad and have found among younger voters, because Michael Jordan has done so many professional endorsements, that they couldn't really distinguish whether this was something that was just another endorsement by Michael Jordan, as opposed to an actual political endorsement.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Him do that now when him not playing. Sound like a very smart business man.

Comment

He endorsed Bradley when he was still playing.

Jesse Helms was such a divisive and racist character, Jordan should have done the right thing. An endorsement of Gantt would not have brushed his professional career. Time our people realise that they didn't just get where they are merely because of his talent.

I guess Oprah should have said Republicans and women watch her show too.

I have said enuff about this. All the evidence is there for people to read and form their opinions, as I have.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Bradley endorsement was after his Bull's Days.

Sound like him smart. When him turn into the bigman, him do him thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X