For Serious Music Lovers Only!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Serious Music Lovers Only!

I’d been listening to jazz for much of the earlier part of today, and after soaking in the late Eric Gale’s blues-influenced runs on his reggae-flavored number, “Sara Smile” (from the recording, “Ginseng Woman”), I started to reflect on Jamaica and the state of its music.

Then I began thinking about those truly awesome Jamaican world-class musicians, and the fact that they have not achieved the fame they deserve. And Jamaica has indeed produced a number of musicians whose chops are incredibly good, guys like the awesome bass player Glen Browne (who’s recorded and toured with Jimmy Cliff, Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers, among others) and the drummer Santa Davis (formerly of Peter Tosh’s Word, Sound and Power band, just to name one).

Jamaica has produced a significant number of elite musicians, but I’ll simply list five here. These five guys that I’m listing below exemplify, in my opinion, what it means to be a “talented, tasteful, technically brilliant, and awesomely creative” musician:

Harold Butler: This keyboard player was a rising star on the Jamaican music scene in the 1970s before his mind started to deteriorate. But as a classically trained jazz and reggae keyboard player, he was absolutely brilliant! Although Butler still lives in Jamaica, his personal problems have effectively put an end to a brilliant and promising career. His most famous work: the 1970’s LP “The Butler Did It.”

Calvin McKenzie is without question one of the most brilliant drummers to emerge on the Jamaican musical landscape. Back in the 1970s he worked with musicians such as Harold Butler, Cedric “Im” Brooks and others. Tragedy struck in the form of a freak accident that ended Calvin McKenzie’s career as a drummer. At the time of his unbelievably tragic accident, McKenzie was the drummer with the Ocho Rios-based reggae-rock group, Native.

Lennox Gordon: Back in the late 1970s, Lennox Gordon was being singled out as the natural heir to guitar great Ernie Ranglin. This young man was such a brilliant guitarist that, mere weeks after enrolling in the Jamaica School of Music as a student, he became a guitar tutor there! I had the pleasure of interacting with Gordon and watching him play on numerous occasions, and back then I swore that he was a genius! I’ll never forget, as a youth, watching the Sonny Bradshaw orchestra on JBC-TV one night as they did a live performance of Duke Ellington’s “Take the A Train.” What I’ll never forget about that performance was the extended guitar solo that Gordon took during that interpretation of Duke Ellington’s hit. Sadly, like his friend Harold Butler, Lennox Gordon started to have psychological problems, which effectively ended his career. Ironically, he and Butler and Calvin McKenzie often played together.

Leroy “Gibby” Morrison is a former lead guitarist of Dean Fraser’s group, the 809 Band. Morrison also played bass on several of Peter Tosh’s recordings, and prior to that was the bassist for Jimmy Cliff in the late 1970’s world tour band that included Ernie Ranglin on lead guitar. A regular guitarist with Dean Fraser’s various groups during the 1980s and 1990s, Morrison also backed a plethora of other artists, including Fahrenheit and Mutabaruka. Thankfully Morrison, whose heavy metal style is reminiscent of rock greats like Eddie Van Halen, is still active in the studio and on stage.

Rohan Reid: A former bass player with the Grace Thrillers gospel group, Rohan Reid has to be ranked among Jamaica’s greatest bass players ever! A master of slap and funk bass and harmonics in the style of Stanley Clarke and the late Jaco Pastorious, Reid was for years the bass player at the Mutual Life jazz sessions. Other notable players at those Mutual Life jazz sessions included the outstanding drummer Desi Jones. By the 1990s, Reid was a bass player at Disney World in Florida. He is still active in bass playing in New York City.

Harold Butler a King.
    Some other note musicans are Robbie Lyn, Winston Grenin who played in studio one and studio and the North East American curuit.

Pam Hall, nuff man nuh know how good a musician she is but she is regular on the Taxi Gang and is a maybe the best female out there. I notice you nah mention the obvious and popular ones.

Also Dwight Picnkney is another wicked one.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Thanks For Replying!

Assasin: thanks for replying, boss!

Actually, I didn’t deliberately leave Pam Hall out. This lady is a really, really incredible musical artist in more musical ways than one, and more talented than most Jamaicans probably realize! In fact, to take you back on the history trail, Boy George and Culture Club, that really overrated British group from the 1980s, actually selected Pam as a member of Culture Club. However, after she found out the crap that she would have to endure (I could be very specific, but I won’t here), she made the decision not to go on tour with those bastards! End of her international career! But her pride and decency as a woman remained intact!!

But in my post earlier today, I listed only five of the many outstanding musicians that Jamaica has produced. And trust me, the ones I listed, even if you have never heard of them before, are extremely good musicians! They are certainly among the best that Jamaica has produced!

You wrote, “I notice you nah mention the obvious and popular ones.” Good point, but I didn’t mention them because the “obvious and popular ones” are NOT necessarily outstanding! I am not likely to be impressed by a musician who can hold a very tight G-Am-C-D7 groove, or some other simplistic but highly rhythmic pattern, and not much more! Fame and ability do not necessarily go together, as any North American jazz musician will tell you!

This is why I named those artists above, as those guys are into, for example, four-note chords (as opposed to the regular three-note chord), etc. So, a musician like guitarist Lennox Gordon will do things with octaves and major and minor-sixth patterns, as a part of his solo, that would leave the average musician staring! A guy like Rohan Reid (and Glen Browne as well) can do harmonics combined with regular chord patterns on the bass guitar that will leave you wondering if you’re listening to two musicians at the same time!

Trust me, Assasin, the “popular ones” are oftentimes vastly overrated because of various factors, including which singer they happen to be playing behind! As for me, what they do melodically, harmonically and rhythmically are the factors that matter. Nothing else!

Comment

When you wrote " for serious music lovers only" you wasn't joking. So where can we find their music now? You only mentioned an album by Butler. BTW do you know of guitarists Tony Chin and Philip Chen? I couldn't tell you if they were three note or four note chord guitarists but they were both successful musicians in their own right.

pr
        Peter R

Comment

Those names, Historian, are classic! Big Time players, especially Harold Butler.

However, I'd like to add a few (quite unpopular or in some cases unknown):

Freddy Butler: Maybe a knotch below the genius of older brother Harold but, nevertheless, quite an excellent pianist.

Franklyn "Bubbler" Waul: A clasically trained pianist but made his living in the uptempo, one-drop Reggae rythms. Played his early career with We The People (LLoyd Parkes) band. At one time I think he was touring with Michael Rose. Not sure where he is now.

Stephen "Cat" Coore: He of Third World fame. Awesome at his string instrument!

And my favourite -----
          Lascelles "Guitsy" Beckford: I believe he ranks right there in that category with Ranglin and Gordon; that's how good Guitsy is as a guitarist. And to boot, the bredrin has a voice like Teddy Pendegrass!
          "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Sly can't be left out. If you listen to some of his work you will realise how good a drummer he is. Listen to his work on halfpint "greetings' and some other serious songs. Check out is stuff with Herbie Hancock who is maybe one a the world best. Some a Sly work is immaculate. In the 80s he was rank by international magazine as one of the five best drummers worldwide.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sly Dunbar?

Assasin, I posted the several names I did because while they are not famous, they are incredibly good musicians!

However, by not including his name, I was not in any way trying to lessen Sly Dunbar’s abilities. There is absolutely no question that Sly is an excellent drummer and an internationally respected one! I had a somewhat lengthy chat with him one afternoon in Channel One studio on Maxfield Park Road, after we laid down a track for an unknown singer. This was sometime in the early 1980s. It was the only time I ever worked with him, but that record was never released. I also spoke with him very briefly at JFK airport in New York around the end of the 1980s or beginning of the 1990s. He and Robbie, along with Lieutenant Stichie and Yellow Man were returning from a tour of Japan.

Sly Dunbar is a very decent, very humble and very likeable guy!

There is also no question that Sly is Jamaica’s most famous drummer and producer (although Lee Perry fans might want to argue that Perry is the more famous producer). You mentioned jazz-fusion keyboardist Herbie Hancock, and you are correct. But in addition Sly (and Robbie) have played on major hit records, for example Cyndi Lauper’s “Girls Just Wanna have Fun” (I believe both were the rhythm section on Lauper's hit) and Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes’ “Love Lift Us Up Where We Belong” from the movie, An Officer and a Gentleman. Not many people know that Sly has actually played behind Cyndi Lauper, Bob Dylan, Yoko Ono, Simply Red, and many, many others! Also, he and Robbie have done production work for luminaries like Britney Spears, Sinead O’Connor, Paul McCartney, and a trillion others!

Trust me, Assasin, I am a great dmirer of Sly Dunbar and his work.

In the case of drummer Calvin McKenzie, he never achieved Sly Dunbar’s fame and incredibly large output of work. In fact, we don’t know much about Calvin McKenzie for two reasons: his career was cut short because of a freak accident, and he specialized only in jazz and jazz-fusion. When he played reggae, it was most likely to be alternative reggae such as the stuff done by the Ocho Rios rock-reggae group Native. Nothing was too complex for him, and I can assure you that, before tragedy ended his drumming career, Calvin was equally at home playing 4/4 time or a complex time like the 5/4 time which Dave Brubeck’s “Take Five” required! He could also easily play other complex times such as 6/4 and 7/4. And he was tasteful in doing so! I am not likely to ever say that he is a lesser drummer than Sly!

By the way, I'm happy you did not mention Robbie Shakespeare, as he is without question a vastly overrated bass player! And who is my idea of an excellent Jamaican bass player? Like I mentioned in yesterday's post, you need to check out the awesome eclectic stuff that guys like Glen Browne and Rohan Reid are doing!

Comment

Tony Chin and Phil Chen

Peter, I’ve not been to Jamaica in many years, so it’s hard to say for sure where one can find albums with some of the people I mentioned. However, later today I’ll try and make a list of recordings on which they appear. I suspect that, of the five names I mentioned, only Harold Butler has recorded solo albums. The others have probably only worked with major acts.

I remember Tony Chin from the Soul Syndicates Band. I was a young boy back then, but recall that he was the guitarist. I believe the other guitariost in that band was the famous Earl “Chinna” Smith (“Chinna” has played with just about everyone, including Bob Marley). I don’t know much about Tony Chin, but I know that Earl “Chinna” Smith is a very accomplished guitarist who prefers to play subtle. He’s not a fiery soloist like, say, the American lead guitarist with Bob Marley, Al Anderson.

I can’t remember who Tony Chen is at the moment. There is a Jamaican Chinese bass player by the name of Phil Chen, so maybe that is who you are referring to. Phil Chen is BIG!! You don't get any bigger, trust me! To cite one example, Phil was the bass player on the huge Rod Stewart hit, Do Ya Think Im Sexy? In addition to being a bassist in the Rod Stewart band, Phil Chen has also backed on stage or recorded with Ray Charles, the Bee Gees, BB King, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, and many others!

The truth is that there are different levels of musical performance. For example, when you next go on YouTube (if you do so), type in Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Stanley Jordan. This American guitarist’s solo playing will freak you out. Also, while you’re on YouTube, type in Amazing Grace by Victor Wooten. This American bass player Victor Wooten has to be one of the most awesomely talented bass guitarist who ever walked this earth!!!

So in Jamaica, while Dwight Pinckney is a very good guitarist, he’s not likely to make me drop whatever book I’m reading and stare with open mouth as, say, a Leebert “Gibby” Morrison would! This is because, while Dwight can play beautiful melodies and put in the necessary scale runs, someone like Leebert “Gibby” Morrison will do that too while tapping blazing harmonics on the fretboard or creating complex chord inversions and extensions.

It’s just different levels of technique (and knowledge) development.

Comment

Interesting List, Farmah!

Farmah, thanks for the interesting info!

Before I go any further, I want to give you an example of a simple but really beautiful solo. Remember Toots and the Maytals’ “Never You Change”? Next time you hear the original Dynamics Studio recording, check out the really, really tasteful guitar solo break by lead guitarist Rupert Bent, Snr. To this day Bent’s solo, along with Ernie Ranglin’s breathtaking solo on the Maytals’ “It Hurts to Be Alone,” is among the best I’ve ever heard from a Jamaican musician!

Now to your post: I honestly have never heard of Lascelles “Guitsy” Beckford, but based on your enthusiastic description, I am certain that he is as outstanding as you say he is.

Regarding the “Freddy Butler” that you stated, I suspect you’re referring to “Leslie Butler,” Harold’s older brother who specializes in the piano and organ. I remember Leslie Butler had a Sunday night radio special (on either JBC or RJR) when I was a young boy.

Stephen “Cat” Coore is, like you correctly stated, “awesome at his string instrument.” He was fortunate in having a mother who was a trained classical musician, and she taught him well. Thus, Cat is something of a multi-instrumentalist, completely at home on the guitar, the cello and the violin. Thinking back on the original lineup of Third World, I wonder if people realize just how good a keyboard player Michael “Ibo” Cooper was? Thankfully, he’s now at the Jamaica School of Music giving back to the young musicians of Jamaica. But Ibo is an excellent keyboard player and someone who can improvise really outstanding solos.

I’m aware of Franklyn “Bubbler” Waul, but never paid any special attention to him. This is the shortcoming of keyboardists playing in the reggae genre: you end up playing simple, repetitive chord progressions and little else! Thus, it’s easy not to notice a trained keyboard player like Waul.

Comment

Mek mi add one to your list deh Missah Farmah.

Monty Alexander

I was going to mention Ernie Ranglin too since I was listening to his rendition of "Slide Mangoose" yesterday on satellite radio. I have a few of Ernie's CDs myself. . .
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I know bout Glen Browne however ins't he mostly used as a tour Basist?
                      These days I can't say I have heard the latest stuff as it is mostly manufactured riddims I hear as I have to very young kids who don't give me time listen to anything much and it is not readily available.

Comment

Third world had some food Musicians and Ibo was execllent and the kind voice he provided for third World was needed.

Willy Stewart who many didn't know is Byron Lee brother is also a good drummer as well. He chose to only work mostly with third world.

Comment

Glen Johnson wrote arranged and played multiple instruments for the grace thrillers during their formative years up until when they become household names....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

actually my fave is "africa on my mind" with "crying in soweto".

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

mi not a musician but mi love mi music and not even gibby or ernie ranglin can test mi 'pan di air guitar......anyway horold butler's stuff seems to be only available on vinyl..there was a place in england and one in CA that advertised having the vinyls available...

Comment

Working...
                              X