Mixed reactions from MPs to cut in free travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed reactions from MPs to cut in free travel

There have been mixed reactions from Parliamentarians to news that their travel benefits with Air Jamaica will be slashed as part of cost cutting measures at the airline.
    Reports emerged Wednesday that Minister Without Portfolio in the Finance Ministry Senator Don Wehby will be taking a submission to Cabinet on Monday calling for the annual number of free first class trips provided to Members of Parliament (MPs) and Senators as well as their spouses to be cut from four to two.

It is reported that the intention is to eventually phase out the policy of providing free trips to Parliamentarians.

Unfortunate, it helped me - Hay Webster
    MP for South Central St. Catherine Sharon Hay Webster said she has been using the benefit and it is unfortunate that it would be reduced.
    Mrs. Hay Webster told RJR News that it has proven to be handy especially in cases where there is no money to cover her air fare on official business.
    "I've also utilized those in respect of ability to respond to invitations that I've had from overseas ... I was able to use these benefits within the package of the compensation to Parliamentarians," said Mrs. Hay Webster.

Pay MPs properly & cut out perks - Thwaites
    MP for Central Kingston Ronnie Thwaites said the removal will have no impact on him as he has never used it.
    "My reaction is that they should pay Parliamentarians properly and cut out all of those extras. I haven't used it and I don't intend to," Mr. Thwaites.
    For Government MP James Robertson slashing the travel benefit is a minor matter.

He said persons elected to serve as MPs should focus on carrying out their duties instead of harping on the removal of perks and benefits.
    "Let's get on with the work, whatever the Cabinet agrees to I will serve without thinking about what I'm losing as a benefit because I didn't come here for free airline tickets.
    I will also say that there are a lot of us in the Cabinet and in many other places serving this government who are not getting considerations and perks that are supposed to be part of the job such as cars etc.," said Mr. Robertson.

The removal of complimentary travel tickets to MPs was one of the proposals put forward by trade unions for the cash strapped Air Jamaica to cut costs.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

How are they going to fly their families to Miami to take advantage of the farin medical insurance we are paying for them?!? This is unfair!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Suh, nobody naah admit that Ronnie Thwaites fulla 5hit? Bout him nuh use it ... him figet fi say yet? Same way yesterday on Real business, him and Ralston Hyman was impressed with the fact that the 100% amnesty timeline was extended. They exclaimed that 1500 new taxpayers are now in the system.

Now they praised the workers of the Tax Administration for the good job they're doing and for extending the tax amnesty, despite how clueless others may be.

It obviously was a shot at Shaw and the government .... wait ... who offered the tax amnesty? The Tax Administration? Who extended it? The Tax Adminstration? From Shaw cold dem up a year ago ... dem have him up. Wha dem must duh a bring Man a Yaad pon the program instead of asking Omar Davies what him would duh. Who gives a damn what Omar would duh? Him was focking up fi 14 years.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

you win dis argument against Mo and Davis.

let it sink in nuh?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Change is good.

Watch you head to Mr.Webley cause you a mash up dollyhouse. The workers them start say a you a di problem.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            you win dis argument against Mo and Davis.

let it sink in nuh?
            Huh? Dah one deh pass me Sass. Which argument?

Comment

the Tax collection Amnesty debate, with Davis pooring cold shoulder on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                the Tax collection Amnesty debate, with Davis pooring cold shoulder on it.
                Oh dat!!! Cho ... learn dis! Mosiah hold him views from that of a Gangsta Groupie! He will grab any chance like Thwaites and Hyman to attempt to discredit Shaw.

Comment

Working...
                X