X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI - Wikipedia on patois-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaican_Patois
    Peter R

There is no such thing as Jamaican English, there, however, is American English.
    Perhaps some of our ites should make a case for Americans to speak the Queen's English, some would probably forced the American version on Jakans, that would be consistent with the line of reasoning.
    That aside, hail Peter R.

Blessed

Comment

Wow! And we here arguing about whether is a language or not?!?!

We can continue the debate about whether it should formally be used in school or not, but the other debate seems closed to me.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Wow! And we here arguing about whether is a language or not?!?!

We can continue the debate about whether it should formally be used in school or not, but the other debate seems closed to me.
        Who was debating that?

Comment

Oh! Then great!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

(1) e.g. /di faiv bod/ ('the five birds')

Comment

the Rastafarian use of English

/juusta/ as in /weɹ wi juusta liv iz not az kuol az iiɹ/ ('where we used to live is not as cold as here')

Karl maybe right all along

Something tell me only the Brilliant students and the lingusts a go understand this, not the poor students who are just used to the oral language.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yuh sorry fi dem? Den how yuh waan teach dem English?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Utter foolishness. Whe di "z" in as come from? Whe di "j" in use to come from? Wouldn't "coal" or "cole" be a better fit than "kuol"?

Comment

Well we don't have to teach english any at all then, cause Patwa more important.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

the more i read posts like this, the more wi need patois instruction.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

chue.

But if we can't understand it can you imagine a grade six student who can't pass common entrance?

How is it going to be taught? We also have Rasta English and Jamaican English as well are they going to be taught too?

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          How is it going to be taught?
                          So wait a minute, are we teaching patois or are we teaching in patois?

Comment

Do we teach American Slang? English Slang? Portie Slang? Atlanta Drawl? Don't get ridiculous, sass. Let the experts decide.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Them say Patwa must be taught in School.

Nuh nuff teacher a teach inna patwa long time?

A remember a white man Mr.Ford at HEART Runaway Bay use to teach we inna Patwa. It was funny but it kept student's attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X