Willi, 'give them the lions' share!!'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willi, 'give them the lions' share!!'

You are wasting your time on the patois debate.

Bottom line: Jamaica has a lot more important issues to solve than concentrating on the silly patois debate.

A word for Mosiah: My parents insist that we spoke 'proper' english at home...

Another word for Willi: I should have taken your advice and invested in gold.

(BTW: Pretty soon, the application forms for applying for a job and a bank loan in jamaica will be in patois).
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

"my parents inisisted that we spoke "proper" english at home"

i guess you should have listened to them too huh? or is it the jamaican accent that you are so ashamed of mek yuh talk suh?
    Last edited by Gamma; July 2, 2008, 03:06 PM.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

In spite of their insistence, you could speak, or at least understand patois. That's because your parents knew you would learn it " a street". Being forced to speak "proper" English at home made you for all intents and purposes bilingual, n'est-ce pas?

pr
      Peter R

Comment

What we need to have our people understand, patois or no patois, is that mastery of English in our context is ABSOLUTELY essential for success. Knowing some Spanish, Arabic, mandarin could help too. Don' mek dem man who a talk patois pon stage fool yu, dem done 'ave dem heducation.

pr
        Peter R

Comment

Our parents wanted Rasta to cut their locks, and they(as the previous generation)foolishly said anything too b.... nuh good.
          The dirty secret about those previous generations is your grandfather is probably many years older than your grandma, probably took her out of school too.

Blessed
          Last edited by Rockman; July 2, 2008, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Following the line of reasoning, I would imagine French as the sole language is a hinderance to the people(rich in history)of Haitians, why isn't it for the people of France?
            We are slowly losing our identity, at least it will promote nationalism.

Blessed

Comment

ooooh! he went there!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Many Jamaican parents insist that their kids speak standard English. Mi mother used to say mi chat too bad on the phones with my friends etc, and a nuh nuttin, since as long as we can communicate effectively in the business world, then that is the goal. We can chat as much patois wid we fren dem, as long as we know how to adapt to the appropriate environment.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

True bout the locks and anything too b... but in my case my grandfather was a year younger than my granny... the dirty secret was that him was not a one woman man...

pr
                  Peter R

Comment

Mine was 16 years older and a more blessed couple I have never seen.

When strangers repeatedly stop you on the road and tell you how lucky you are to have grandparents like that...

In any case, he got proper permission from her Dad and everything was above board. He did 12 years before she did and there was not 1 day she did not pine away for him.

No dirty secrets there! Just extremely high standards to live up to. The bar set high like Sotomayer high jump world record!

Comment

Why didn't you speak English when you spoke to your friends on the phone?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Right now with so many Spanish hotels coming on stream we should be pushing spanish in our schools.

If you can master spanish and English you would certainly have a job a one a dem hotel.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                        X