This patwa debate is symbolic of our malaise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This patwa debate is symbolic of our malaise

We have tons of more important and URGENT problems and like the B-Man debate, this is what gets traction!

Let's suppose we do adopt patwa as the official language...then what?

Do we get less murders and corruption? Do we solve our myriad of social and economic ills? Do we become a kinder, caring nation? Will be have justice for all and offer opportunity for the vast majority?

Focus people!!!

We have real problems and real crises on our hands. This is just another 3-card distraction and deflection from REALITY!

HEAVENLY FATHER, GIVE US VISION LEST WE PERISH!

disagree with you willi......i admit it will take a strength of character to go through with it because this one seems to be split right down the middle.

if not now when?

today we revel in reggae music and bob but this was not always the case, welooked to europe for approval before we embraced it......must this always be the case?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

How Europe come into this?

We are burning in critical areas and you suggest we spend emotional capital, and scarce resources for THIS? NO?

Come on man. The survival of the nation as a viable entity is in doubt and we are distracting ourselves with FRIVOLITY!

Mr Gay MoBay all over again!

Run all you want, but reality will be right there bighting you in the butt.

Debating all these frivolities is what rich European countries do. Dem nuh have nutten fi hot dem!

Comment

exactly my point let us do it for ourselves ..... why couldn't we embrace reggae in a holistic way until others taught us to do so......? prezackly my point we need to do for ourselves....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

What this have to do with embracing reggae?

I dont follow.

Comment

Our debates should be focused on finding solutions to crime, social justice, corruption, economic growth etc. This patois debate is frivolity at its worst.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

we did not as a people embrace reggae initially...it was under our nose..our music. it had to gain acceptance abroad before we holistically accdepted it abroad.

so here we are again, with another jamaican product, and we now have an opportunity to acknowledge it and recognise for ourselves by standardising it and it is an opportunity we should take.

in fact if the way the japanese have embraced dancehall and patois my argument may even be a tad late.....but still early enough.

Comment

If you are saying that a small committee can start working on standardization with a 20 year horizon to taking it to the next level, I have no problem. If you are saying its a high priority that will command great resources, I say HELL no!

Comment

Is education a concern ?

I think very careful analysis should be done on if our current approach to communication knowledge is appropriate given the present social reality.

A cursory examination of certain facts do not indicate that our English Instruction approach is the most effective.

Once again if english is not viewed as the best tool to communicate general information to the public (check out certain ads) how then can it be viewed as the best tool to communicate concepts and ideas to develop cognitive skills ?

It does not follow...

If a man from Mars landed in Jamaica and he wanted to communicate important concepts.. I doubt he would choose english in his galactic translator if he had a patois option...

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                    If a man from Mars landed in Jamaica and he wanted to communicate important concepts.. I doubt he would choose english in his galactic translator if he had a patois option...
                    And if a Jamaican landed in the US how would he choose to communicate?

Comment

???

Comment

as you said the devil is in the detail....the proper way is to get that committee going NOW with a view towards having formalised over the next 10 - 20 years...as i believe that it could take that long.

Comment

Is education a concern ?

I think very careful analysis should be done on if our current approach to communication knowledge is appropriate given the present social reality.

A cursory examination of certain facts do not indicate that our English Instruction approach is the most effective.

Once again if english is not viewed as the best tool to communicate general information to the public (check out certain ads) how then can it be viewed as the best tool to communicate concepts and ideas to develop cognitive skills ?

It does not follow...

hmmmmnnnnn... lets examine this a likkle bit... how many rhodes scholar has jamaica produced... how many are qcs... how many doctors... how many architects... how many accountants... how many, well you should get my drift... the point; all of the accomplished scholars can chat patois wid de bess a wi...

perhaps, we are looking down the wrong avenue for the reasons why our students are not as successful today... perhaps the right questions aren't be asked... perhaps it is the methodology of the instructors, the discipline level of the students and the general social conditions within which all are operating...

it appears too simplistic to point to the english language as the root cause of the lack of learning and comprehension...
                          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

???
                            Stumped?

Comment

Yes.. don't see the relevance.

In any country you decide to move to, it would be prudent to learn the language.

That is why Tourists are given the "How to speak Jamaican" handbook.

Comment

Working...
                              X