X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bricky, Selana want talk to you

Selena Blake takes on
    published: Tuesday | July 1, 2008

Howard Campbell, Gleaner [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Writer[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Blake
    FROM HER home in New York City, Selena Blake keeps up to date with events in her native Jamaica. She is aware of the music scene and perennial crime, but chose to focus on an embattled minority for Taboo ... Gay and Lesbian Yardies: The Voices of Those Who Dare to Speak, her second [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]documentary[/COLOR][/COLOR].
    Blake, 45, said she decided to take on the sensitive subject of Jamaican aggression toward gays last year. At a [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]fund-raising [COLOR=orange! important]event[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] in New York City for Taboo last week, she said patrons were concerned that violence against homosexuals was still rampant in Jamaica.
    "I was speaking to someone who told me that Elton John has completely boycotted Jamaica because of this, and it's not just him. Several prominent folks have decided not to do stuff in Jamaica," Blake told The Gleaner.
    Production cost
    Blake plans to gather an eclectic 'cast' for Taboo which she says will cost US$250,000 to produce. She is planning to interview persons from 'across the board' in Miami, Canada, England and Jamaica.
    To date, Blake has spoken to members of the Caribbean gay community in New York City including Jamaican activist Staceyann Chin and Christine Quinn, the openly gay speaker of the New York City Council.
    "This documentary is not just about gays, it's about Jamaica," Blake pointed out. "I want to show that we are not monsters, we are not all homophobic."
    Taboo follows on the heels of Queensbridge: The Other Side, Blake's revealing documentary about the Long Island housing project, which got strong reviews from noted publications like the New York Times. She went public with Taboo at a time when Jamaican indifference to gays is once again on the radar.
    Hopes to interview Golding
    During a television interview with the British Broadcasting Corporation in May, Prime Minister Bruce Golding scoffed at 'boycott Jamaica' threats by gay groups in Canada and Europe. He also said he would not consider a homosexual for a post in his Cabinet.
    Blake said she hopes to interview Golding when she comes to Jamaica for [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]filming[/COLOR][/COLOR]. She also looks forward to similar meetings with some of the dancehall acts who have been criticized by gay rights groups for encouraging violence against homosexuals.
    Buju Banton, Sizzla, Beenie Man and Capleton are among the dancehall artistes who have been dogged by groups like Britain's Outrage! for their anti-gay stance.
    'Funny people'
    Selena Blake remembers 'funny people' being ostracised for their lifestyle in her hometown of Old Harbour, St Catherine, but were never heckled or beaten.
    "There was a lesbian who served in a bar and a gay man in the community, but honestly I cannot recall anyone troubling them," she said.
    Blake, the youngest of six daughters, immigrated to the New York City borough of Queens with her mother in 1979. She built a 20-year career as a model and gained bit parts in films and [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]television[/COLOR][/COLOR] commercials.
    She said she got the film-maker bug from being around film and commercial sets. Two years ago, Blake challenged racial stereotypes in her documentary on Queensbridge, America's largest low-income housing project where she once lived with her son.
    'Taboo' is bound to be just as explosive but Blake insists the film will not be sensational.
    "This is going to show that gays, straight people, transsexuals, whoever, need to sit down and talk about this issue because it's not going to go away," she said.
    Tracking the dancehall 'gaydar'

In 1988, a teenaged Buju Banton records the anti-gay anthem, Boom Bye Bye.

Sizzla is barred from entering Britain where authorities cite his anti-gay lyrics as inciting violence. In 2007, the singer's shows in Toronto and Montreal are cancelled after protests by gay groups.

In 2004, producers drop Beenie Man from the MTV awards following protests by gay rights activists.
    The taboo

'This is going to show that gays, straight people, transsexuals, whoever, need to sit down and talk about this issue because it's not going to go away.'
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Is Red Stripe sponsoring the movie?
    Last edited by Hortical; July 1, 2008, 03:22 PM.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Is she gay? The article doesn't say wether she is or isn't.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

She is a lesbian ?

Comment

Is that important? Yuh like har?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Brown Skin

BROWN SKIN by Richie Spice

Oh na na na nah
            Na na na na na na naah
            Stu dup du dup du duu Ohhh
            Aye na na na na na na naaa
            Ah Dup du dup du duuu
            Du du dup du du duuu aye

Chorus
            Aye-Brown skin
            Girl I wanna wrap you wanna lock you in my arms an
            Brown skin
            Woman I love the vibes I love the spice I love the passion you bring
            Brown skin jus a wanna wrap you wanna lock you in my arms and
            Aye brown skin

Verse 1
            The way you smile the way you attire the way you ginger up yourself
            In every way you make my day you know I want you for myself
            I see it in your eyes that its me its only me can love you so baby
            Hot like a fire my hearts desire she pretty like ???

Aye-Brown skin
            Girl I wanna wrap you wanna lock you in my arms and
            Brown skin
            Brown skin jus a wanna wrap you wanna lock you in my arms and
            Aye brown skin

Verse 2
            I want your full attention
            Your love in every direction
            In my songs your name will be mentioned
            Ill give you love an affection
            So glad that jah made a woman
            What a match perfect combination
            Multiply and bring forth the nation
            I love you baby everyday

Brown skin
            Aye-Brown skin
            Brown skin yes I wanna wrap you wanna lock you in my arms and
            Aye brown skin
            Woman I love the vibes I love the spice I love the passion you

stu dup du dup du du
            ayeee ayyeee
            aye na na na na na na naahh
            ah dup du du du du
            du du dup du du duu
            stu dup du dup du du

Aye-Brown skin
            Brown skin
            Aye brown skin

Brown skin
            Aye-Brown skin
            Aye brown skin
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Horticals post (before the edit) suggested that he knew her to be gay, I was trying to find out how he came to that conclusion.

Surely it couldn't be based simply on the fact that she is supporting a gay cause?
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

wheeeeeeeeeeel!

Talk bout wheel, yow dah chune deh from L.U.S.T., Just As I Am, a tek life bredren!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is a Brown Skin lesbian ?

Comment

A tink him like har. Yuh nuh see how him a sing bout di brownin?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

A long hair brown skin lesbian?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

From Jamaica?

Comment

or is it Ghana?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

here comes the half man half horse...that is his specialty.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

she look dyam good at 45.

pr
                              Peter R

Comment

Working...
                              X