X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gleaner editorial, not the observer

EDITORIAL - Implications of the Chambers murder
    published: Tuesday | July 1, 2008

From a broad moral perspective, last Friday's assassination - and that is what it was - of Douglas Chambers, ought to rate no higher, if no less, than the nearly 2,000 less well-known people, who are killed each year.
    Yet, there is something different, and more chillingly sinister, about Mr Chambers' death than the wanton killings, including law enforcement officers, that take place each year. Chambers' murder shatters myth and farce. It also reduces the places for us to hide from ourselves. It lays bare and stark some hard realities. For, to be blunt about it, his killing represents a direct and open challenge to the Jamaican State. It is a test of its capacity to respond.
    This murder, in that regard, is part of a wider pattern. It has, for instance, to be read in tandem with last week's affair in August Town, which, but for the potency of its danger, might have been farcically comical - an open truce/peace treaty between community warlords, who get to keep their weapons because they do not trust the state's law enforcement agency to ensure security. Recall, this pact was negotiated, or at least facilitated by persons with quasi-state authority.
    We warned of August Town, that it represents a concession by the state to the authority of the hard men of violence, an accretion of power and the legitimisation of their status, that can only lead to the diminution of a national, central authority. They keep their guns now. Next is the demand for the keeping of law enforcement agencies away, to be followed by assertions of a devolved political authority led by criminals.
    It is those same questions that are posed of the state by those who ordered and executed the hit on Chambers. They can, they believe, act with impunity, because they can get away with it, the very basis of anarchy. Therein lies the significance of this murder, and what places it apart from other recent killings, even of coordinated attacks on members of the security forces.
    Chambers represented the authority of the state at a high and substantive level. But perhaps more important, he represented something more significant, a change from the permissive indulgence in which the alternative forces thrived. By daring to attempt to clean the Jamaican Urban Transit Company (JUTC) of waste and corruption, Chambers raised a challenge to an element of their power and source of existence. People such as Mr Chambers, therefore, cannot be allowed to succeed.
    The important question, now, is how will the Jamaican State respond? One thing ought to be clear to those who formally hold power and are, broadly, part of the state apparatus: this tenuous coexistence between the Jamaican State and the emerging balkanised communities, with their warlord bosses, cannot be allowed to stand.
    It is important that Prime Minister Golding understands the nature and the depth of the crisis and acts accordingly - and in accordance with the sounds he made post-Vale Royal. Mrs Simpson Miller, unfortunately, appears not fully seized of the dangers we face. She has adopted a populist waffle. But should we fail, neither she nor Mr Golding might have a state over which to squabble.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

what's the point of that statement?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

...what statement?

I read an editorial!!!

~~groan~~
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

the Observer is dismissed as been Newsletter so I don't want to confuse newsletter with newspaper.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          the Observer is dismissed as been Newsletter so I don't want to confuse newsletter with newspaper.
          Now .. which joker(s) confuse newspaper wid newsletter? A nuh Karl and Jawge?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Come on now, sass. Not every striking thing will be an article against the RIU! Anyway, I have been looking for the article about he sewer problem occurring at a Sandals property recently, but with no success. I wonder if you'll be able to point me to that article.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

whe you ben outa shape for? up to this week Don1 spoke about the newsletter. It is also said Butch and the observer prostitute for the JLP so I wanted to make sure pointed out that this was the gleaner, what wrang wid that.

Well somebody need fi point out the problem at Sandals, you blame the observer for not doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                whe you ben outa shape for? up to this week Don1 spoke about the newsletter. It is also said Butch and the observer prostitute for the JLP so I wanted to make sure pointed out that this was the gleaner, what wrang wid that.

Well somebody need fi point out the problem at Sandals, you blame the observer for not doing that?
                I wrote about the Newsletter recently??

Pray tell when??
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

bent outta shape?!?! dat is just mi beer belly!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

this was Mo's response "t is another reckless cartoon by this newspaper." to yesterday editoral cartoon and you shouted "renewable Waste".

So I pointed out that it is not the observer.

Comment

your statement was rather dumb, sass. no need to say anymore.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                      X