No announcement yet.

Unda di sea - note: not Under the Sea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unda di sea - note: not Under the Sea.

Unda di sea
    published: Tuesday | July 1, 2008

Nashauna Drummond, Lifestyle Coordinator

Forget about a glass-bottom boat, the Coral Viewer is the perfect way to enjoy all the wonders that lie under the Caribbean Sea. - photos by Nashauna Drummond
    REGGAE AND salsa ruled the waves when the Cuban vessel, the Coral Viewer, made one of its promotional trips off the coast of St Ann to explore the many wonders of the Caribbean Sea recently. The lower deck of the boat has been transformed into a viewing gallery, where passengers can get a close-up of underwater life in all its splendour.
    Forget what you saw when you sailed on the glass-bottom boat from one of the island's many hotels, this experience brings you closer than ever to the creatures of the sea. And you don't even get wet.
    The journey begins at Puerto Seco Beach in Discovery Bay, St Ann, the area where Christopher Columbus is said to have first landed on the island in 1494.
    The party

One of the island's few remaining public beaches, Puerto Seco is a destination for most families on weekends and public holidays
    As the dock fades in the distance, the party begins. The rocking of the boat, as it crashes through and over the waves, moves you in time with the rhythm of the sea. If you're prone to motion sickness, then this is not the ride for you as the waves get larger in the open sea.
    With the latest Jamaican hits and sizzling salsa selections playing from loud speakers, passengers are encouraged to really enjoy the ride. A few large waves crash against the boat's bow, drenching the floor and leaving a salty and sticky memory behind. Slipping and sliding, the passengers, who were bent on having a good time, did not miss a beat.
    Waterways of the underworld
    A 45-minute trip takes you to the discovery site in front of the mammoth Spanish hotel, Gran Bahia Principe. It stood large and proud, a contrast sandwiched between the green mountains behind it and blue of the Caribbean Sea. Here, the boat circles while passengers go down to the compartment in the belly of the vessel to view the wonders of the corals up close. The viewing gallery can hold up to 43 persons (seated comfortably), facing large reinforced glass that provides an uninterrupted view of the great beyond.
    Fish of every size and hue dart in every direction of the coral, oblivious to our prying eyes. A few schools glide by, following an invisible roadway. It was like watching a silent movie. Sea urchins litter the bottom of the ocean, their tentacles reaching towards us threateningly, while brain corals of varying sizes laze in nonchalance. In some areas, deep gouges wind between coral beds, separating its continuous blanket lining the seabed.
    Fish food is thrown overboard to entice our scaly friends closer for a better view. Here, you might also see creatures, without scales or fins, and equipped with two legs and arms, as the more adventurous are encouraged to take a swim. It's easy to get lost in the wonders of the sea world and, as the boat bounces gently along, you forget all the stress that awaits on land.
    The Gran Bahia Principe hotel marks the spot to enjoy the wonders of the sea.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

What I would like to know is if the editor will correct grammatical errors made in patois... I mean, is there a standard?

pr
    Peter R

Comment

My point exactly!

Right now patois is not what we learnt growing up.

People just make ish up all the time now. Its a free for all.

Comment

Willi, my mom (now in her mid 70s) grew up in rural Manchester. She spends four months (guess which) of every year for the last 15 in Jamaica. The language (patois ) is so dynamic she doesn't understand some of the expressions commonly used now. Same with her husband who told me he was pulled over by a cop who said he was going to give him a "bligh". He thought it was some kind of special ticket.. He left Jamaica in the 60s and only started returning after he married my mom.

Point is patois risks being stunted if it becomes formalized...dem fi leff it alone.

pr
        Peter R

Comment

Every language has slang. Bligh is slang, although it is used so often these days it has probably moved from the slang category. Unnu tink "bling" is an English word, or is it sland? Even Matt Lauer understands bling. What about "dis" as in "disrespect", who doesn't understand that?

That argument don't wash.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
            Right now patois is not what we learnt growing up.
            God bless your household and that of your friends, but Willi, you were the tiny minority. Patois is what is learnt by, I dare say, 97% of our children, long before they know how to put two English sentences together.

If I may digress - sometime in the past we used to discuss the makeup of Jamaican people, and some used to suggest that most Jamaicans are mixed. Of course, I believe that is a myth, but if you lived in Jacks Hill, went to a certain school and hung out at Liguanea Club, you would also think that most Jamaicans have visas.

All you have to do is go to a Reggae Boyz match and look at the bleachers. Forget the grandstand, Digicel gave out crazy tix to their Irish staff. Look at the bleachers. That is Jamaica - black people who, even if they were mixed you would never know. Their first language (and for some, their only language) is patois and the majority do not have visas!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              God bless your household and that of your friends, but Willi, you were the tiny minority. Patois is what is learnt by, I dare say, 97% of our children, long before they know how to put two English sentences together.

If I may digress - sometime in the past we used to discuss the makeup of Jamaican people, and some used to suggest that most Jamaicans are mixed. Of course, I believe that is a myth, but if you lived in Jacks Hill, went to a certain school and hung out at Liguanea Club, you would also think that most Jamaicans have visas.

All you have to do is go to a Reggae Boyz match and look at the bleachers. Forget the grandstand, Digicel gave out crazy tix to their Irish staff. Look at the bleachers. That is Jamaica - black people who, even if they were mixed you would never know. Their first language (and for some, their only language) is patois and the majority do not have visas!
              And? What percentage of those growing up speaking patois are functionally illiterate?

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                And? What percentage of those growing up speaking patois are functionally illiterate?

I know what you are trying to ask, but let me help you with your own question.

What percentage of those growing up speaking patois exclusively are functionally illiterate?

A very large percentage. But most of us do speak both languages and many of us are functionally literate. By age 5 or 6, most of us would have been introduced to our second language, English, and would have been formally instructed in many subject areas in that language.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

den wait deh.....mi nuh si dem even a add JAMAICAN words to the english dictionary which suggests to me that english is also dynamic and changing.

i agree with both of you that it should be standardised.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

are they illiterate because they speak patois or do they speak paois because they are illiterate?

WHY are they illiterate? that is the question.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                      are they illiterate because they speak patois or do they speak paois because they are illiterate?

WHY are they illiterate? that is the question.
                      Chicken and the egg situation. I would say they speak patois because that's what was spoken at home. They are functionally illiterate due to many factors, some within their control and some not within their control. If dem cyaan learn english wha mek yuh tink dem a guh be able fi learn calculus regardless of what language it's taught in?

Comment

Can you breakdown the demographic profile of Jamaicans that possess Visas ?

Racial mix, Class etc..

I have a funny feeling that the majority do not live in Kingston 8 or 6..

Me waan fell seh nuff a dem nuh even live inna Kingston.

But dat is just a feeling.. come wid di facts.

Comment

I guess there is only one way to find out.....

Comment

Yuh really expect an answer? Where is Kingston 6 and 8?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mi nuh know.. mi just hear di uptown people a talk bout dem areas deh..

Comment

Working...
                              X