• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why they killed Chambers

Why they killed Douglas Chambers
    published: Monday | June 30, 2008

Danville Walker, Contributor

Chambers
    The Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) must become a profitable institution if it is to survive. It must be run with discipline. The taxpayers who support it and the riders who pay their hard-earned money for its services deserve an efficient, on-time transport system that can be depended on to take them and their children to and from their affairs in a safe, orderly manner.
    If the above is achieved, JUTC will become an asset that will help our citizens to raise their standard of living, their businesses to strive, and the country to reduce its dependence on more inefficient modes of transportation.
    This is what Douglas Chambers believed and was working towards when he was murdered on the premises of the very company that he was trying to transform. You do not have to work for free to be of service to your country, but since he took no pay for his work at JUTC, it is clear that his purpose and effort were solely for the benefit of the people who use the services of the JUTC and would be the direct recipients of any improvement in its service.
    Corruption, patronage, greed and self-interest will not go quietly into the good night simply because words are spoken out against it. Persons benefiting from multimillion-dollar criminal enterprises will not seek other forms of employment simply because a few managerial changes make it more difficult for their business to be carried on as before.
    Corruption and patronage will not be removed because a few of their beneficiaries may be embarrassed by periodic court appearances but who most likely will be freed by the underfunded, inefficient legal system that allows them to make a mockery of the police work and whistle-blowers who caused them to be unconvenienced.
    Collective failure
    Since Independence we have had some successes but we have been a collective failure with regards to crime and we have criminals among us who are neither afraid of the legal system nor show respect for the Government of Jamaica, whoever forms it. How they must be amused by us who claim to be so educated, so smart, so in charge, thinking that we are actually in charge while we engage in endless debates and intellectually sounding arguments as a substitute for action and leadership.
    Douglas Chambers was not murdered because he sent off some workers; that happens all the time without murder being the result. His murder will not also cause anyone laid off to be rehired.
    He was murdered because he had the audacity to challenge the status quo of inefficiency, patronage and corruption and the rot that so easily can overtake a place when management is unqualified and incompetent.
    He challenged the view that only an expatriate can come here and implement the changes necessary to run an organisation at first-world levels and he was relentless in his pursuit for the necessary excellence. They had no choice; he had to be murdered because others may buy into this vision in sufficient numbers and then their days would be numbered. Their days would be numbered because they cannot compete on a level playing field and they can only succeed with disorder and corruption.
    We must press on
    We must make sure their days are numbered. Do not be afraid. It is they who are afraid. That's why they killed him. Console his family, we must, while they bear their unspeakable grief caused by his sacrifice. Our resolve must remain strong and unshakable. To do anything other than that would be to give ground to them and strengthen their hands. I know how you feel, we have been in this fight for so long, but we cannot flag, we cannot weaken, we must press on supporting the police, supporting anyone standing up and trying to do the right thing.
    This is the only war we will ever fight in this country; no one will ever invade Jamaica causing any dual citizen a mental crisis. This is our fight; the fight against corruption, the fight against indiscipline, the fight for the rule of law. This fight needs soldiers who believe that if you play by the rules you should be able to win. This fight needs soldiers who believe that if you see crime and injustice you should be able to speak about it and not be ridiculed as an informer, because crime and injustice against anyone is a crime and injustice against everyone of us.
    A strike against authority
    Douglas Chambers' murder was a strike against authority and some are hoping that all who stand up for order will be afraid to take action and to lead your organisation to be free of the parasites who have come to believe that they have the right to live off the industry of the rest of us. Those of you in leadership positions in this country do not let this murder paralyse you into inaction. Press forward with what needs to be done. As my brothers from North Street rightfully repeat, "The Brave may fall, but never yield". We must never yield nor must we appear to yield. Threats may come, and the necessary precautions must be taken, but never, never yield. Farewell Douglas, we will carry on. Danville Walker is the commissioner of customs. Send freedback to colums@leanerjm.com.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Danville nuh have nuh chat roun yah suh.. him a dual citizen..

Comment

What a refreshingly well written piece and you can hear crickets chirping in here? Unnuh bias bad yuh nuh
      Last edited by Bricktop; June 30, 2008, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Excellent piece!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

How do they feel now?

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

There's no doubt in anyone's mind that Mr Douglas Chambers was murdered because he took a firm stand against the corruption and wanton waste of taxpayers' money at the Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC).
          We remember well the revelations from inside that company of the immorality that existed there - people earning overtime pay for which they did no work; names of non-existent people on the payroll; wholesale absenteeism; theft from the fare box amounting to $30 million monthly; and careless driving resulting in frequent damage to the buses.
          One of the realities that has made this whole sordid affair so disgusting is that before Mr Chambers, these disgraceful acts of fraud were allowed to continue, and those workers who abused their jobs, as well as the pseudo-workers, enjoyed the negotiated benefits accorded to the legitimate workforce.
          Those who allowed the JUTC to descend to this horrendous state should now be ashamed to even condemn Mr Chambers' murder. For his brutal killing had its genesis in their corruption of the company - a company which, we have no doubt, was established with the best of intentions, but which was transformed into a trough from which to feed political hacks.
          We wonder, therefore, how do those people feel, now that the man who was appointed to rid the JUTC of corruption and stem its huge losses has been made a victim of the savagery plaguing this country for so long?
          How do they feel, now that the monsters created by their corruption have blatantly challenged the authority of the state?
          How do they feel, now that crookedness has become a culture at the JUTC to the point where any attempt to stamp it out is greeted with violent opposition?
          How do they feel, knowing that people associated with the bus company cheered on hearing the news that heartless terrorist scum pumped at least 14 bullets into Mr Chambers' body?
          Is that the kind of society that they wish to establish in Jamaica? A society in which those who uphold principle and honesty are declared beyond salvage and taken out by terrorists?
          We made this point on Saturday and we believe it is a point worth reiterating: This country has some hard choices to make if we are to rid ourselves of the repulsive odour of crime and corruption that has blighted our growth for far too long.
          Every law-abiding Jamaican must now take a firm stand in support of law and order. The terrorists, whose only purpose in life is to kill and maim, must be made aware, and forcefully too, that we will not be intimidated.
          And those people who give shelter to the terrorists who killed Douglas Chambers and the thousands of other innocent Jamaicans, must, on conviction, feel the full force of the law.
          We must not allow terrorists and their associates to destroy our country.
          "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

How him a rough up di people dat put dem X beside di head suh ?

Comment

Danville is 100% Jamaican, has always been, and has held the view of a "better Jamaica" from the early 70's. Inspite of his dual citizenship and his perceived involvement in the Vaz controversy, my respect for him grill-up big time! He has nuff "chat youn yah suh" because he faced the same demons in his role as DoE, and will come under the same pressure at Customs.
              "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Allow me to repeat - if he is 100% Jamaican, then why the reluctance to part with the dual citizenship?

Having said that, no one can deny that he did a great job with electoral reform. It also can't be denied that he screwed up with the nomination process. Also, we must follow rules, regulations and the constitution. If it says you can't hold a position because of X, then so be it. Danville does not seem to have a problem with that, hence his resignation from the election job.

I am happy they found a place for him where he would not be breaking any rules, at least so blatantly. I expect him to do a good job at Customs.

Essentially, Danville Walker is a good man, and the nation must be thankful for people like him.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
                  We must not allow terrorists and their associates to destroy our country.
                  Oh! So we are not there yet?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

Essentially, Danville Walker is a good man, and the nation must be thankful for people like him.
                    People like him? Yuh mean dual citizens?
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Errmmm... allow me to clarify as I was remiss in not stating that:
                      The Article Is An Editorial Piece From 7/1/08 Observer's Edition.

However, to answer your question: Yes I believe we are already there!

Comment

Mo, I am a dual citizen but I'm also 100% Jamaican; I'm sure of that! Why would it be the different for Danville Walker?

Comment

You sure of that? Okay, why won't you give up that other citizenship?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Because I live in the USA and the rights and benfits accorded a a citizen are much better than those given to a resident alien. I've lived here since 1980, but only made that adjustment three years ago as the laws regarding immigrants continued to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
                              Because I live in the USA and the rights and benfits accorded a a citizen are much better than those given to a resident alien. I've lived here since 1980, but only made that adjustment three years ago as the laws regarding immigrants continued to change.
                              .. and yuh really a explain yuhself to Mosiah?
                              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
                              X