• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terri's Testimony

Terri's Testimony
    BY TYRONE S REID Observer staff writer
    reidt@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, June 29, 2008

THE late afternoon sun is ablaze over Kingston and Terri-Karelle Griffith-Reid is ready to talk about love. From all indications, the newly-wed has never been shy to express herself about matters of the heart. After all, these days the sister is very much the woman in love, enjoying life to the max - every single minute of it.

TERRI-KARELLE... Happiness is like a fantastic dream you don't want to be awakened from (Photo: Naphtali Junior)
    Dressed in a red short-sleeved blouse, tight-fitting pants and wearing a pair of comfortable-looking heels, the only hint of make-up on Terri's glowing, heat-flushed face is the crimson gloss on her lips. And don't even get me started on the dazzling wedding ring on her finger, which seems to reflect light.

It's not been four years since the Portmore-raised, Campion College grad sashayed her way into the spotlight and into our lives when she landed the 2005 Miss Jamaica World title. Since then, the 26-year-old has been warming us up to her cool-sister-next-door charm with appearances at charity events, a host of other to-dos, television programmes and even a Courtney John music video. And while she has been doing everything from charity work to completing studies in veterinary medicine in Cuba, there's no deed she's more proud of than jumping the broom with hubby Evon earlier this month. Having done her time in the 'girlfriend zone', Miss Terri's ready to embark on a new journey she hopes will stimulate her mentally, physically and emotionally.

Sunday Entertainment sat down with the chocolate honey to discuss how her love-life went from the teething phase to 'happily-ever-after', her quest to change lives and why negativity isn't her style.

Sunday Entertainment: It's been a minute since we chatted with our favourite beauty queen. How have you been maintaining your rhythm?
    Terri: I have just been enjoying life to the fullest. I think growing up with strong women like my mom and my grandmother has taught me to take life in stages and spread myself adequately without taking on too much. I have had to learn how to divide the pie.

Sunday Entertainment: Good things certainly happen when you invest your time wisely. And now your 'Prince Charming' has come and swept you off your feet. Congrats on your beautiful wedding. Was marriage always in your plans?
    Terri: Honestly, no. I grew up being an empowered woman and I never thought I would fall for man where it would lead to marriage. I never saw marriage in the cards, at all (laughs). But I am so happy that it came and knocked on my door. Evon and I have been great friends for seven years so it was no problem for us to get married.

Sunday Entertainment: Wow! So when did you fall in love? Did you immediately open your hearts to each other?
    Terri: The first time we met was on my flight to Cuba to study in 2000. He was one of the first persons I met. We've been very good friends ever since and he's also a great cook (laughs). So while other guys were trying to get at me, he was trying to be my friend first. So by February 2001, we become lovers. Everything just progressed slowly and in a fun and loving way.

Sunday Entertainment: So it's been almost a decade since you've been together before marriage and 'happily-ever-after' entered the equation.
    Terri: Yes, and it's been a fantastic time. It's been a smooth transition to marriage life. People's opinions and comments don't bother us because the physical has nothing to do with our union. It's the content and substance that you bring to the relationship that should matter above all else.

Sunday Entertainment: That's beautiful. How has marriage impacted your career goals and outlook on life?
    Terri: I feel so much more complete nowadays. Career and marriage go well together when you and your partner have an understanding of life. I'm a lot more confident than I was years ago. As his partner and wife, I feel pure joy. I am a full woman (laughs). I welcome the change and the growth.

Sunday Entertainment: What do you make of the state of marriage as an institution in contemporary Jamaica?
    Terri: I think that not enough people are holding it with the respect and sanctity that they should. It's like marriage has become a business arrangement. And a lot of that is going on. But I do believe there are those who are genuinely in it for love and they ought to be congratulated for taking that step. A successful marriage is not impossible but it takes work and time.

Sunday Entertainment: How have you been able to stay true to who you are as you grow into your new self?
    Terri: Family and friends are my main source of strength. They keep me grounded. At the same time, I don't let anything bother me; it's a part of my personality. I don't let negativity at all affect me and I don't entertain gossip. I keep high-spirited, ambitious and forward-thinking people around me.

Sunday Entertainment: I know you're super-busy these days. What's next for you?
    Terri: Well, there is a public relations job with a software health company [in Los Angeles] that is currently in the pipeline that I am really excited about as it will combine my two passions, if things work out. Right now, I'm taking a break from school and just continuing my involvement with several local companies and charity organizations. I'm just taking it easy and getting myself ready for anything God throws at me.

Sunday Entertainment: Are you and the mister planning to start a family soon?
    Terri: I knew that question was coming (Laughs). I want at least three kids but not for another two to three years. I want to enjoy life as a devoted wife before taking on motherhood.

Sunday Entertainment: How do you define your happiness?
    Terri: Simple things and thoughts make me happy. Making me happy doesn't have to include anything material. For me happiness is like a fantastic dream you don't want to be awakened from. Like a scrumptious meal of ox-tail with rice and peas and a tall glass of soursop juice (laughs).

Sunday Entertainment: You're truly a strong Jamaican woman with a remarkable sense of humour. What do you ultimately hope to accomplish in this life?
    Terri: No matter what I'm doing, I want to touch lives for the better while never compromising my principles and my morals. I hope to treat people the way I want to be treated and just live a good life as a woman, friend, daughter and wife.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X