Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama's promise of debt relief a $29b opportunity for JA

Obama's promise of debt relief a $29b opportunity for Jamaica

Democratic presidential candidate, Senator Barack Obama, is promising 100 per cent debt relief for the Caribbean if he becomes the next leader of the United States.

That would translate for Jamaica into a $29 billion write-off in central government debt to the US, a small portion of the near $500 billion of foreign debt the island is carrying, Jamaica's finance ministry figures show.

Policy to be pursued
    While Obama himself did not reveal that plan for the region, his foreign policy adviser, Dan Restrepo, told the Government and tourism officials attending the Caribbean Tourism Organisation conference here that this is one of the policies to be pursued by Obama if elected to office.
    "As you all well know, the poorest countries in the world, including some in the Caribbean, suffer under the weight of enormous external debt. Barack Obama wants to see a 100 per cent debt cancellation for the world's heavily indebted poor countries, including all such countries in the Caribbean," he said.

Jamaica's debt
    The USAID is a a major conduit of US financing to overseas countries and groups.
    Jamaica's breakout of its US debt shows that it owes the agency $5.6 billion.
    The country is more heavily indebted to the US Department of Agriculture which it owes $7.7 billion and the Federal Financing Bank, which holds $14.6 billion of the country's US debt.
    Restrepo also spoke about Obama's intention to facilitate trade between the US and Cuba, saying that the Democrat would personally lead direct diplomacy with Cuban officials.

He said the presidential hopeful also understood the unique security challenges of the Caribbean and that the issue of trans-national crime was of great importance to the region.
    He has, therefore, promised to restore funding for drug control programmes that were cut by the George W. Bush administration and to put an end to the illegal gun trade in the south.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

wishful thinking.

Will never happen. The congress have a role to play in this and with without support of the people it can't happen.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      wishful thinking.

Will never happen. The congress have a role to play in this and with without support of the people it can't happen.
      support of the people??

Americans generally do and believe whatever politicians and the media tell them.... that's the "support" that's required for this proposed limited debt relief.
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

yes but in congress will not support it.

If them having problem giving Iraq debt relief ......
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

that all depends on how the thing is packaged, what horse trading goes on and how large the democratic congressional majority will be... all much too early to forecast.

Unless you have a ball of crystal.
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Sass I don't think the congress has authority in this matter. I think this is done through Presidential or administration policy. What the congress does have is to authorize how much money is allocated to respective programs USAID etc. in the budget. I don't think they can determin how these loans are individually allocated or written off.

Comment

I think congress has to vote on it. The last time debt relieve couldn't even pass committee inna the house to come to the floor.

Comment

Working...
              X