'Lock them up for six weeks'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Lock them up for six weeks'

While many persons, especially human rights groups, are criticising the Government's proposal to increase the length of time a suspect can be detained without being charged, Senior Superintendent Reneto Adams is in full agreement.

SSP Adams told THE STAR,"Of course I agree. All over the world, they are doing that. I have been a policeman for 41 years, and if I'm satisfied that 'John Brown' has committed a crime - I've seen and I've heard and intelligence supports that - but no one is coming forward, we should take him off the street for a six-week period. At least, we would save some people that he might have killed during this time, and he won't be a nuisance."

Gather facts
    Six weeks, he said, would be the appropriate time to allow the police to carry out thorough investigations. "The police would get time to investigate, gather facts and get witnesses, and I'm for that," he said. He, however, pointed out that a special detention facility would be needed in order for this proposal to work.
    "We couldn't have them sent among people that are already charged or serving time, so that [a separate facility] would mitigate against further criminal contamination."

SSP Adams also had harsh criticism for certain practices in the justice system. He said, "It is rubbish to have a man who is on 10 murder charges be out on bail or even abscond bail and then be put back on bail." He also agreed with Resident Magistrate Marlene Malahoo Forte, who in The Gleaner on Wednesday said many lawyers were acting like 'hustlers', and therefore bogging down the court system.

Delay tactic
    He said, "Some of these lawyers are conspirators. They find all kinds of excuses, so that the matters against their clients are not tried. It is a delay tactic, a ploy used to frustrate witnesses and prevent them from coming to give evidence."

He continued, "I also blame some of the judges. They're in charge of the court and they should make sure the cases are tried."
    He said an extended detention period should have been introduced a long time ago as "decent, law-abiding citizens are under siege right now, while criminals are free to do what they want, but they can't do it when they see me, you know."

To those who argue that such a move would be a breach of human rights, he said, "It is a sensitive issue, but if you continue to breach the rights of others, then it is not fair for you to be enjoying your rights. Their rights should be abrogated, at least for a while, and strike some sense into them. I am in total agreement."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I like this part of Adams, even when he speaks the truth against his superiors. (Yes, dem should discipline him when him do it, still!) But there are other things I certainly did not like!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X