• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceasefire - August Town gangs sign historic truce

Ceasefire - August Town gangs sign historic truce
    published: Thursday | June 26, 2008

Jarmila Jackson, Features Writer

Two children join adults in a prayer for peace at the signing of a ceasefire treaty at the University of the West Indies Bowl on Tuesday evening. Gunmen in August Town, St Andrew, have agreed to a five-year truce. - Nathaniel Stewart/Freelance Photographer

The fanfare sparked by the trumpets, drums and cymbals of the St Patrick's Marching Band and ceremonial handshaking seemed like a surreal respite from the pall of fear which has gripped the volatile community of August Town.

On Tuesday evening, eight leaders of the eastern St Andrew com-munity, which has haemorrhaged from years-long bloody turf conflicts between rival gangs, inked a monumental peace treaty expected to last for five years.

Gang areas
    The gangs are based in Goldsmith Villa, African Gardens, Jungle 12, Bedward Gardens and Judgement Yard, largely impoverished areas teeming with unemployed youths.

Despite a controversial rider to the agreement - allowing the gangs to keep their guns - residents and other stakeholders in the peace process have expressed optimism about the future. The pact bans illegal gun salutes and commits to a cessation of hostilities.

At the signing ceremony, a single mother, who preferred to remain anonymous, was full of glee.

"Oh God, mi want this fi last," said the teary-eyed woman, cradling her four-year-old daughter in her arms.

Forced to pull her child out of school since April because of violence, she believes the ceasefire could return normality to their lives.

The Reverend Dr E. Curtis, chairman of the Greater August Town Ministers' Fraternal, said the truce would have a big impact on the community.
    "This is something that the community of August Town has needed for a long time," he said in his address to the crowd gathered in the stands of the University of the West Indies Bowl, site of the peace pact.

Among the attendees were Deputy Commissioner of Police Mark Shields; Peace Management Initiative board member, Horace Levy; principal of the UWI, Prof Gordon Shirley; and Prof Barry Chevannes.

Kenneth Wilson, coordinator of the Greater August Town Transformation Programme, credits one of the community's 'corner leaders' for insisting that the accord be signed publicly as a symbol of their commitment to the people.

"One hand has to wash the other; it is up to the leaders and the community to work together. There is substance to this, otherwise we would not have agreed to this kind of gathering," said Wilson, who is also president of the citizens' association.

"We will honour our commitment for the people, we have to honour the wishes of the people," he added.

Peace deal
    1. All persons are allowed to move freely across all boundaries regardless of reputation or affiliation.
    2. No gun salute or any other shooting is to take place in the community for a period of at least five years. 3. Corner leaders have a responsibility to guide and counsel their mentees, urging them to abhor domestic violence, theft, extortion, carnal abuse, rape and other crimes.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Is it a DEAL now

mi getting confused

Mosiah, were you there?
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

I wonder why the JFJ wasn't a part of this? The JFJ has done more for real and lasting peace in that area than any other group. It's worthwhile to note their absence at such an august occasion.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

No, I couldn't make it. My bulletproof was at the laundromat.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah...why weren't they there?!! mi curious what their position is on this .... well know what position i want those 3 particular members to hold....but i digress.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

It wasn't a pursuit of justice, gamma.

Blessed

Comment

not in the LEAST! well put rockman...now if only i could those 3 jfj girls to hold a certain position.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

snicker

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                  2. No gun salute or any other shooting is to take place in the community for a period of at least five years.

Comment

So if the police hold me with mi gun in Town, and mi tell him seh mi is from August Town, does that mean I am free to go, with my tool in mi waist? Or do I need valid proof that I am an August citizen of that St Andrew locale?
                    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

After 5 years nuff shot ah go buss

Comment

No. Dem never say yuh now allowed to have guns. Just nuh mek dem find yuh wid one.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
                          So if the police hold me with mi gun in Town, and mi tell him seh mi is from August Town, does that mean I am free to go, with my tool in mi waist? Or do I need valid proof that I am an August citizen of that St Andrew locale?
                          Mek sure yuh have you ID card issued by the August Town Dons
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                          X