Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air J board gone. Good going Bruce

Air J board asked to resign
    BY VERNON DAVIDSON Executive Editor - Publications davidsonv@jamaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The entire Air Jamaica board was yesterday asked to resign amid growing concerns within the Government that the ailing national carrier is being badly managed, a highly placed source confirmed to the Observer last night.
    "Yes, a new board is being put in place" the source, who opted for anonymity, responded to an Observer query.
    The source declined to say when the resignations would become effective, offering only that a new board would be appointed in a few weeks.
    Another source close to developments at the airline said that another factor that influenced the decision to change the board was the Government's desire to transform Air Jamaica into a lean operation in preparation for divestment next March.
    On Monday, Prime Minister Bruce Golding told guests attending the launch of National Export Week at the Hilton Kingston Hotel, that the country could no longer shoulder the burden of the loss-making airline.
    "I know the importance of Air Jamaica to the country and tourism, and the passion that people feel towards the airline, but we are losing 10 billion Jamaican dollars on it," Golding said.
    Last year, Air Jamaica lost US$170 million, and this year it is projected to lose US$200 million. At least one major international carrier is said to have expressed an interest in investing in Air Jamaica, and as part of its bid has offered to repair the flood-prone Palisadoes road that leads to the Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston.
    The Jamaica Labour Party, in its manifesto for last September's general election, had listed the divestment of Air Jamaica as one of its plans for the transport sector.
    The party, which eventually won the election, said it would pursue negotiations for an equity partnership with a suitable international airline to revitalise Air Jamaica. Under the plan, the Government is to retain part ownership of the carrier which would "retain its name and its unique Jamaican characteristics".
    Last month, the administration received a US$820,000 grant from the United States Trade and Development Agency to assist in the divestment process.
    But even as the Government has been laying the groundwork to sell the airline, it has reportedly not been pleased with how it is being managed.
    Sources inside the airline said that the Government has not been impressed with the performance of chairman, Shirley Williams. In addition, the sources said her action on June 5 in ordering a flight to return to board an Inter-American Development Bank official after the aircraft's doors were closed did not go down well with the Government.
    They also said that the recent resignation of Noel Hylton from the board was an indication of the administration's intention to revitalise the management.
    It was not clear last night who would be invited to sit on the new board. However, the Observer source said that current members Paul Lalor and Richard Byles would likely be asked to serve again, as the Government was impressed with their performance.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

That's what I like about Bruce. If dem nah pay dem fare, Drivah, aks dem fi disembark NOW!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I hope Bruce doan have any plans fi put back Butch pon di board!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

signs of a good leader. Even if them a die hard labourite.

There is hope. The security ministry and now Air J.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Just happy to see the back of Shirley. I know Lazie is probably all overcome by her removal, but I couldn't be happier. The only thing impressive about her is that turbo broom she rides on! She can slap an Air Jamaica logo on that baby if she wants!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            Just happy to see the back of Shirley. I know Lazie is probably all overcome by her removal, but I couldn't be happier. The only thing impressive about her is that turbo broom she rides on! She can slap an Air Jamaica logo on that baby if she wants!
            Not certain about the Lazie reference. Last I heard she was still on the board, but she wasn't an Executive Chairman .... just a chairman. I'll wait until I hear more.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I know you are a supporters of hers, and I make no bones about it that I believe she is a waste. If she does not go, then Bruce has failed. Again!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I know you are a supporters of hers, and I make no bones about it that I believe she is a waste. If she does not go, then Bruce has failed. Again!
                Supporter? Really? Check the facts. http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/s...28&postcount=1
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

well bruce doesn't seem to waste much time..i wonder if he would have relieved paulwell of his portfolio if paulwell was in his ministry and was inolved in so many instances of youthful exuberance....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

long time

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Please, Lazie, that was easy.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Please, Lazie, that was easy.
                        Well, point out where I'm a supporter then nuh.

Comment

Lazie, stop gwaan like we haven't had discussions about Shirley from long time. I leave you to do the research.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Lazie, stop gwaan like we haven't had discussions about Shirley from long time. I leave you to do the research.
                            Yuh just show yuh hand. When unuh cannot back up unuh claims, unuh talk bout guh duh research.

What discussions we've had about Shirley Williams, for you to now claim I'm a supporter?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                              Not certain about the Lazie reference. Last I heard she was still on the board, but she wasn't an Executive Chairman .... just a chairman. I'll wait until I hear more.
                              Lazie?
                              She wasn't an Executive Chairman?

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/s...ie+Air+Jamaica
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X