• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brother, sister killed in deadly family feud

Brother, sister killed in deadly family feud
    BY HORACE HINES Observer staff reporter hinesh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008

GLENDEVON, St James - Popular Montego Bay businesswoman Dahlia Stewart-Dunkley and her brother 35-year-old steel worker Kenroy Stewart, were killed Monday night during a bloody family feud.

Residents told the Observer that the saga started on Monday afternoon when Stewart's 12-year-old daughter became embroiled in a fight with her male cousin while on the way home from school. The fight, the residents said, worsened when Stewart and his younger sister intervened, each siding with their respective offspring.
    A distraught Sobers Dunkley is flanked by his daughters Sandra (right) and Treisha (second left), while at extreme left is Keneish Stewart, the daughter of Kenroy Stewart, as they reflect on the family feud which left their loved ones dead. (Photo: Alan Lewin)
    Persons who said they were eyewitnesses told the Observer that the younger sister's boyfriend then ran for his firearm, when Stewart-Dunkley subsequently drove up and got involved in the fuss.

As the melee worsened, Stewart-Dunkley's firearm fell and a younger sister allegedly retrieved it and shot her in the stomach. The younger sister's boyfriend, residents alleged, then shot Stewart-Dunkley twice in the head. Stewart also received fatal gun shot wounds in the fracas.

The siblings, both of Charles Drive in Bottom Pen, Glendevon, St James died on the spot.

Both accused, who were also injured during the fracas, were admitted to hospital under police guard, after which they were taken into police custody for questioning.

A file photo of Dahlia Stewart-Dunkley who was shot dead during a family dispute at her St James home late Monday.
    Family members said yesterday that Monday's shooting was the second occasion in which Stewart was allegedly injured by his brother-in-law. They said he had been surviving on one kidney for over a decade after being shot by the same man during a feud.
    Yesterday morning, despair was etched on the faces of Stewart-Dunkley's husband, Sobers, and three of her four children at the family home.

"I don't know but I just feel a shock. Me only can say only God alone a keep me alive right now," said the distraught widower.

He added: "A pastor friend named Mr Jones called me and told me to keep calm and try to be strong and that everything makes up life. He keeps praying for me," said a tearful Dunkley.

He recalled that the last time he saw his wife was hours before the grisly incident, when he visited her at the Charles Gordon Market in Montego Bay, where she has a stall.

"Sunday morning I went to my brother's party and after I came in yesterday (Monday) I had a low feeling so I went by the market to see her. I kissed her and told her only one night me no see you and me miss you like is a month me no see you. Me tell her hurry up and come and she gave me some salt mackerel and roasted breadfruit to carry up... she never reach up here," he recalled.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

this is tragic. A suh much idiat have gun!

Comment

a suh much eediat inna one FAMBILY?!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Eediat thing fi true - now several broken families

and the darn pickney dem gwine continue to play and fight.

In primary school, my sister and my cousin had a piece of fight coming from school one day, and my sister was really giving my cousin an arse whipping. Well some boy felt sorry for my cousin and jumped in to help only to get a beating from sister and cousin.
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
        X