• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sex, lies and videotapes

Sex, lies and videotapes
    Lloyd B Smith
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"I did not have sexual intercourse with that woman." - Former United States President Bill Clinton during the heat of the Monica Lewinsky affair. The rest is history! Or his story?

The proposal that government should legalise prostitution then tax the proceeds of commercial sex workers has sparked much debate and controversy. Most stimulating if not titillating.

The likelihood of the Bruce Golding-led administration roping in an additional $3 billion for its cash starved coffers is indeed a most attractive proposition, but is this really practical and workable in the Jamaican situation?

Of course, this comes against the background of one sex scandal after the other, involving students and well-known celebrities. Indeed, the advent of the bluetooth and cellphones with cameras has led to a proliferation of blue movies that has been whetting the seemingly insatiable appetite of many Jamaicans whose daily lives are focused on sex, lies and videotapes.

Also, the nation's tabloids have been capitalising on this latest craze, while the dancehall artistes have been having a field day churning out lewd and suggestive lyrics that deal with all aspects of this whole sordid business. To put it bluntly, sex sells. Yes, sex is big business.

In this scenario, much speculation abounds as to the sex life of popular individuals in the society, and imaginations have gone wild as even innocent people become the subject of nasty, ill-founded rumours. From who is gay to who is a bowcat, from child molester to adulterer, wife beater to cheater, from "jacket" to "waistcoat", the sexual proclivities of Jamaicans would make a day in Sodom and Gomorrah look like a Sunday school picnic!

In all of this, there is the frightening revelation that more and more of our young people are indulging in sexual activities, some from a very early age. And what is even more disturbing is the news that an increasing number of them are in fact having unprotected sex with multiple partners.

The obvious outcome of this irresponsible type of behaviour is the spread of sexually transmitted diseases, including the deadly HIV/AIDS, unwanted teenage pregnancies, drug addiction, incest, carnal abuse, rape, "sexploitation" of minors and an overall breakdown in family values and morals.

It is against this sordid background that prostitutes are to be given an elevated status, all in the name of Mammon. It should be interesting to find out from Prime Minister Bruce Golding if he would knowingly have a "lady of the night" in his Cabinet? After all, if prostitution is legalised then such a woman would be for all intents and purposes a bona fide business person and taxpayer, so she could run for Parliament! In any event, this has happened in the United States and Italy where professional sex workers have run for office.

My concern, though, is how would such a sex tax work? Would the customer be subject to GCT, for example? And what constitutes a taxable sex act? This is mind-boggling! Even the Fair Trading Commission may have to be brought into the mix, because what if a client feels that he has not got his money's worth? And by the way, will male prostitutes including gigolos be taxed too? How will the books be kept and examined? Fascinating stuff. One curious acquaintance of mine has even queried whether or not if a male client dies during the act then is that tax deductible, especially if the victim dies with a smile on his face? What a way to go! Then there is the whole matter of quality control, thus ensuring good customer service and delivery. Can the Bureau of Standards handle this?

The sad truth is that this nation is falling apart at the seams amidst a tremendous amount of hypocrisy and double standards. In the final analysis, it is our children who are the major victims of this decadence and debauchery. The only subject that seemingly gets just about everybody heated and violent towards it is homosexuality, every other sexual sin is okay. Just don't get caught. on a cellphone or videotape. So we continue to live a life of lies while the nation descends into the abyss.
    That is why I cannot support legalisation and any taxing of prostitution in this country, not even if this means jobs, jobs, jobs. Quite frankly, any government that would want to put a tax on someone's one-night stand in some cheap hotel would not be worthy of my vote of confidence.

-lloydbsmith@hotmail.com
    Last edited by Karl; June 24, 2008, 05:34 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

There is just no end to this! I wonder when it's going to become passe and boring.

Just today, a co-worker told me he had 2 more - one with a Cornwall and Ruseas student, and there is one from Herbert Morrison. I guess the west haffi represent!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Them have nuff out deh.One with a girl from BNS, one Miss Courts and one with some UWI girls.

Comment

One with UWI girls?! There are several from UWI!

Dem say di BNS one a lie. She nuh come from no BNS.

Ms Courts? Hmmm...I'm in the market for some appliances.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Bwoy Lazie mussa kick puppa-lick?

im JLP government creating jobs, jobs, and more jobs

Pardon di pun...ride on Lazie! ride on wid yuh good creative, hardworking, intelligent, honest and clean JLP boys led by Brucie di greatest!

Maudib, Comment and Lazie - (sings) Haul ail di JLP! (while genuflecting with heads bowed in reverence! They rise with self-satisfied looks!)
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            Bwoy Lazie mussa kick puppa-lick?

im JLP government creating jobs, jobs, and more jobs

Pardon di pun...ride on Lazie! ride on wid yuh good creative, hardworking, intelligent, honest and clean JLP boys led by Brucie di greatest!

Maudib, Comment and Lazie - (sings) Haul ail di JLP! (while genuflecting with heads bowed in reverence! They rise with self-satisfied looks!)
            whats the point u're making Karl?
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

18 months!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

18 months!
                I fully understand that there are those who prefer almshouse.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  I fully understand that there are those who prefer almshouse.
                  Yes!

...and....

...are you in that group?

Comment

Yes!

...and....

...are you in that group?
                    Who said they not swapping black dog fi monkey again? Have you been paying attention to how the black dog was mismanaging the nation's affairs?

Comment

Working...
                    X