Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duh sah....

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    The Sex Workers Association of Jamaica has spoken out in support of recommendations for de-criminalization and levying taxes on Jamaica's sex industry.
    In a front page story in one of the dailies, Dr. Kevin Harvey Senior Medical Officer in charge of the Health Ministry's National HIV/STI Programme is quoted as saying the government could earn some $3 billion in revenue if they de-criminalized, regularized and taxed this sector.
    The Association Spokesperson Marsha Grant said its members are ready for this move and are more than happy to support the call.

Ms Grant argued that despite the fact that prostitution and other segments of the sector are covertly supported by many Jamaicans, it remains a largely underground enterprise, fraught with danger.
    She said de-criminalization would give workers greater protection.
    "They are the victims of physical, emotional and psychological abuse both from clients and from other persons who operate in the industry. This would open-up an avenue for them to access support from the security forces," she said.

Accessing better health care
    Ms Grant added that members of the Sex Workers Association are eager to gain access to other benefits taken for granted by Jamaican workers.
    "Currently, they are not accessing health services as much as we would like them to and this is contributing to their demise. Operating underground as it were, they have little recourse for fair treatment and for making investments that can better their and their children's lives," said Ms Grant.

The Spokesperson warned, however, that in spite of the Association's eagerness to see change, the members will only pay taxes if their contribution to the national coffers ensures an improvement in both the HIV/STD outreach programmes and the treatment they receive when seeking assistance from the Police and other Government services.
    Ms Grant said the Sex Workers Association of Jamaica is willing to sit with officials from the Ministries of Health, Justice, Finance and Planning to iron out a plan of action that will benefit all concerned.

She said her organisation has already started working with Jamaica AIDSSupport and the Caribbean Vulnerable Communities Coalition.
    ....one more time fi di GCT!!

Bruce did say he wanted to expand GDP. Do I hear 8 inch.. ahhh 8% growth ?
    In fact why not a free trade sex zone at the Caymanas site with a rail link to the port (obviously with a spur to Port Henderson) and Mobay? This would definitely generate sufficient traffic to support the rail revival.
    Just call it Sexport!! Only foreign exchange welcome..... Over to you Mike Henry.

where are the Silicon Valley economists when one needs them?
    Last edited by Don1; June 20, 2008, 04:03 PM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

and all this has dovetailed over the fact that sex workers want to pay taxes.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I don't mind sensible and constructive criticism from anyone regarding Jamaica. But some a unnu gwaan like unnu never was like di same Jamaicans unnu cuss off every day. One likkle plane ride up north could not have suddenly transformed unnu into God's chosen people.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

mosiah...is a good thing you yuh wasn't exposed to an overdose of gamma rays........

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

maybe things wasn't suh bad... it look like tings a get wussa an wussa hence de heightened criticism... but mi know weh yuh a come from, causen seh mi feel like mi neva leff yawd... mi can relate tuh both sides...
            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

I never even had a green card when I lived in the States, so at no time did I feel like a JNLIJ. I returned to Jamaica on several occasions, job-hunting, because I always knew that this was where I wanted to be. I believe my outlook has always been a little different from someone like HL who abandoned his country of birth and sold all for a piece of the American apple pie.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is dat befall some a dem?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

no is just yuh woulda turn into green monster who feeds on rage and anger and "will smash"nuff things!!!

Comment

Is Ben ok? I can't believe he as not made a post on this subject.

Comment

Working...
                    X