Conscience vote on death penalty in September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conscience vote on death penalty in September

The proposed Parliamentary resolution calling for a conscience vote on the retention of the death penalty will not make it into Gordon House before September.

Prime Minister Bruce Golding who instructed the Attorney General's Department to pen the motion said he now has a draft of it in hand.

However, Mr. Golding said he is proposing the matter be given some time to breathe in parliament before it is debated.

"I now have the draft resolution and it is a matter that I hope to have before Cabinet in the (next two weeks) and once we get the approval of Cabinet we're going to bring that to Parliament.

I'm going to suggest that the resolution sit on the table of the House until after the summer recess," he said.

Prime Minister Golding said although he did not want to prejudice the impending conscience vote, he expects the judiciary to move accordingly once Parliamentarians vote.

The Golding administration has insisted that it will resume hanging.

The previous People's National Party administration had argued that its efforts to carry out the death penalty were frustrated by rulings issued by the London based Judicial Committee of the Privy Council.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X