Obama tells black fathers to engage their kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama tells black fathers to engage their kids

CHICAGO - Barack Obama celebrated Father's Day by calling on black fathers, who he said are "missing from too many lives and too many homes," to become active in raising their children.
    "They have abandoned their responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our families are weaker because of it," the Democratic presidential candidate said Sunday at a largely black church in his hometown.
    Reminding the congregation of his firsthand experience growing up without a father, Obama said he was lucky to have loving grandparents who helped his mother. He got support, second chances and scholarships that helped him get an education. Obama's father left when he was 2.

"A lot of children don't get those chances. There is no margin for error in their lives," said Obama, an Illinois senator.
    "I resolved many years ago that it was my obligation to break the cycle — that if I could be anything in life, I would be a good father to my girls," added Obama, whose daughters, Sasha and Malia, and his wife, Michelle, watched from the audience.
    The importance of involved fathers
    Obama's appearance at the Apostolic Church of God was his first address to a church since he ended his membership at Trinity United Church of Christ, where he had worshipped for 20 years, following inflammatory remarks there by his former longtime pastor and others.
    Obama frequently emphasized the importance of God in his life and ended the speech by asking the congregation to "Pray for me. Pray for Michelle."
    Obama often speaks about the importance of parental involvement. In Washington, he sponsored legislation to get more child support money to children by offering a tax credit for fathers who pay support, more efficient collection and penalties for fathers who don't meet their obligations.
    The issue adds to his family values credentials and lets voters see him delivering a stern message to black voters.
    "We can't simply write these problems off to past injustices," Obama said Sunday. "Those injustices are real. There's a reason our families are in disrepair ... but we can't keep using that as an excuse."
    Obama urged black parents to demand the best from themselves and their children.
    He compared it to his own presidential campaign and early comments from black voters who said they liked him but didn't think a black man could ever be elected president. He said they were admitting defeat before the competition had even begun.
    "That was when I wasn't black enough. Now I'm too black," he said in a joking aside.
    He said parents who proudly tell him their child gets great grades, all B's, should encourage them even more.
    "All B's? Is that the highest grade?" Obama said. "It's great that you can get a B, but you can get a better grade. It's great that you've got a job, but you can get a better job."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Hell Yeah!!! Nuff a dem dislike Bill Cosby for saying it ... its good to see someone else pushing the message.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Too many a dem wutless, and dem need fi get dem act together.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

funny what if a white man said that? just pause for thought?

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
          funny what if a white man said that? just pause for thought?
          Its a message that needs to be sent. Yes, if a white man had said it, some clowns round here would be crying racism yes. Afterall, nuff dislike Bill Cosby when he spoke of the same thing. More people need to start saying it.

Comment

Is true if a 'wite mon' sey that, then the world turn upside down.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

it's not for a white man to say......sorry and that is for MANY reasons which i will not go into...unless pressed.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                it's not for a white man to say......sorry and that is for MANY reasons which i will not go into...unless pressed.
                Well .. consider this as you being PRESSED!

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  Yuh not only being PRESSED, you're being IRONED as well - suh start deliver yuh reasonings
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

1. if one considers that the break-up of the black family as an institution in the western hemisphere was as a direct and deliberate result of slavery as imposed by the white man then it is adding fuel to the fire for the same white man to turn around and make such a statement. To say that was 400 years ago while factually true is materially irrelevant because the values that we learn we learn from our parents FIRST.

when one considers that familes were broken up at will to (1) pay debts; (2)as punishment (3) stud farms it became NECESSARY for parents to learn how to detach themselves from their family. Not unlike the culture of violence now pervading jamaica, this became LEARNED behaviour.

2) A direct result of all of the above is that the black woman became the backbone of maintaining any kind of family relationship. fortunately in african society "nana" played a big role in the family so in sense there was some amount of familiarity in that role.

3.) Education. Statistics show that if your parents went to college it increases your chances of going to college are increased. Although the amount of black men in college is numerically higher, there still remains a huge section of the black community which is uneducated. The shackles are being broken but over generations.

4.) there were many black men who overcame...booker T, WEB, Frederick Douglass, GW Carver, Elijah McKoy, Oloudah Equiano, Matthew Henson.....these men were exceptional and when one considers what they achieved under the circumstances and in no way is comparable to everyone else.

5) It is therefore affrontery in my opinion for the descendants of those who purveyed the travesty to have anything to say to us in that regard. i agree with bill cosby and i agree with obama, jessie jackson should say it too, FIFTYCENT and P-DIDDY should be saying it too....

theres more (the NEED for the civil rights act even after slavery, the need for plessy vs ferguson to be overturned by brown vs the board of educatuion, the NEED for affirmative action) but that's it for starters.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Strange ... suh with all a dat, what wrong with you, me and others who are their for their families? As Obama pointed out in that speech, we cannot continue using the evil events as an excuse.

There is a saying from back home, "A nuh wha yuh say ... is how yuh say it!" I see nothing wrong with a white man saying it in a constructive manner. Figet bout Fifty and Diddy saying anything like that. Dem more concerned about dem bling that that the family structure.

Comment

lazie....i know you know better....this is exactly why i cited carver, equiano, mckoy and others. some people can and have but the majority do not yet have what it takes.....every generation some break the shackles which is why we are further along now than at any point previously everyone does not have the same ability, desire, drive and/or intelligence and many, too many still fall back to the lowest common denominator....how they were raised.

please re-read what i wrote and do not approach it with a preconceived or canned point of view.

Comment

These problems can only be solved within the community, and if you do not wear my skin, you can never comprehend or understand where we are coming from.

Comment

thank you. though i would not say "only" i would say "best"

Comment

I agree with your analysis, but i would add that not only do leaders in the black middle class need to say it, but they have been negligent in not saying it enough for the past 20 years.
                              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                              X