• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR Lawsuit

Former official sues NASCAR, claims harassment, discrimination

Story Highlights
    • Mauricia Grant was a technical inspector in Nationwide Series
    • Grant alleges racial and sexual discrimination, wrongful termination.
    • Spokesman says NASCAR has not yet reviewed the terms of lawsuit

The Associated PressAs an aspiring racing official, Mauricia Grant had grown used to working in a man's world.

When she finally made it into NASCAR, Grant was appalled at the way she says she was treated beginning from her first day on the job until her firing last October.

Now she's suing NASCAR for $225 million, alleging racial and sexual discrimination, sexual harassment and wrongful termination.

"I loved it. It was a great, exciting, adrenaline-filled job where I worked with fast cars and the best drivers in the world," Grant told The Associated Press. "But there was an ongoing daily pattern (of harassment). It was the nature of the people I worked with, the people who ran it, it trickled down from the top.

"It's just the way things are in the garage."

The 32-year-old Grant, who is black, worked as a technical inspector responsible for certifying cars in NASCAR's second-tier Nationwide Series from January 2005 until her termination. In the lawsuit, she alleged she was referred to as "Nappy Headed Mo" and "Queen Sheba," by co-workers, was often told she worked on "colored people time," and was frightened by one official who routinely made references to the Ku Klux Klan.

In addition, Grant said she was subjected to sexual advances from male co-workers, two of whom allegedly exposed themselves to her, and graphic and lewd jokes.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, lists 23 specific incidents of alleged sexual harassment and 34 specific incidents of alleged racial and gender discrimination beginning when she was hired in January 2005 through her October 2007 firing.

NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said the organization had not yet reviewed the suit.

"As an equal opportunity employer, NASCAR is fully committed to the spirit and letter of affirmative action law," Poston said, adding NASCAR has a zero tolerance policy for harassment.

In the lawsuit, Grant said she complained numerous times to her supervisors about how she was treated, to no avail. On one occasion, Grant said Nationwide Series director Joe Balash, her immediate supervisor, was dismissive of her complaints, explaining her co-workers were "former military guys" with a rough sense of humor. "You just have to deal with it," she says Balash told her.

On another occasion, she alleged Balash participated in the harassment.
    "Does your workout include an urban obstacle course with a flat-screen TV on your back?" she claimed Balash asked her during the week of July 28, 2007 while working in Indianapolis.

Grant told the AP her two younger sisters witnessed racial discrimination against the official while visiting her at Daytona International Speedway in 2006 and encouraged her to document every incident going forward.

The lawsuit details a series of those alleged incidents:
    • Grant was forced to work outside more often than the white male officials because her supervisors believed she couldn't sunburn because she was black.

• While riding in the backseat of her car pool at Talladega Superspeedway, co-workers told her to duck as they passed race fans. "I don't want to start a riot when these fans see a black woman in my car," she claims one official said.

• When packing up a dark garage at Texas Motor Speedway an official told Grant: "Keep smiling and pop your eyes out 'cause we can't see you."

• When she ignored advances from co-workers, Grant was accused of being gay. She also claimed co-workers questioned the sexual orientation of two other female officials.

After her termination, Grant said she went over her notes and recognized "a pattern of retaliation and discrimination."

"It didn't diminish my love for the sport of auto racing, but the job wasn't always the easiest thing to go to every day," she said.

Grant said she routinely complained to her supervisors. Two weeks after her final complaint, Grant said she was warned during the week of August 18, 2007 at Michigan International Speedway that she had engaged in "conduct unbecoming of a NASCAR representative" and would be fired unless she changed her behavior. She said the warning stemmed from a confrontation with a track official who stopped her as she passed through a gate to use the restroom.

Roughly two months later, Grant was fired, and NASCAR cited a poor work performance in ending her employment. The lawsuit claims other than a previous warning for using "street" language, Grant had never been disciplined for job performance and routinely received positive reviews.

"It is time for NASCAR to realize that not everbody is going to be bought off and not file a complaint," said Grant's attorney, Benedict P. Morelli of Morelli Ratner PC. "Not everybody is going to be intimidated and not file a complaint. Not everybody is going to be blackballed and not file a complaint."

In addition, the suit claims official Heather Gambino was fired in 2006 for complaining about a sexually hostile work environment. The suit also claims former official Dean Duckett, who is black, was reprimanded and ultimately fired last November for using "aggressive language toward a white co-worker."

Among those identified in Grant's suit are Balash, assistant series director Mike Dolan, supervisors Alan Shephard and Dennis Dillon, NASCAR's senior manager for business relations, the human resources director and 17 of Grant's fellow officials. All of the defendants are white.

"My supervisors all praised me. I was hanging in there with the guys," she said. "I am an athletic person. I went over the wall and faced malicious crews and competitive crew chiefs, and I was right there and held it down and was never lazy about it.

"And I knew that once I was terminated, there wasn't going to be an opportunity for me to find another industry like NASCAR to practice my craft."

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Last edited by Karl; June 12, 2008, 01:34 PM.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

i'm glad she is able toput a price on the humiliation....M$225 big ones.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

NASCAR harassment suit may prove costly

by Jason Whitlock

Jason Whitlock brings his edgy and thought-provoking style to FOXSports.com. Columnist for the Kansas City Star, he has won the National Journalism Award for Commentary for "his ability to seamlessly integrate sports and social commentary and to challenge widely held assumptions along the racial divide."

Updated: June 11, 2008, 8:05 PM EST

We owe Isiah Thomas and Sean Salisbury an apology.
      That's how bad the discrimination and sexual-harassment allegations 32-year-old Mauricia Grant brought against NASCAR are.Compared to the environment allegedly condoned at the popular racing series, the former Knicks coach's reputation for calling female executives "bitch" and the ex-ESPN analyst's habit of photographing and displaying his steak were greatly overblown controversies.
      Join the discussion

The talk is raging over Jason Whitlock's latest column. We know you have an opinion too. Join the debate right here.
      After reading through Grant's official lawsuit complaint, you'd get the feeling that NASCAR was filming an updated version of "Roots," beginning with the slave-ship scene where the captain is looking for a "black wench belly-warmer" to tide him over on the long journey home.
      Damn! If you're looking for confirmation of NASCAR stereotypes, you can pretty much find them all in Grant's $225-million lawsuit. According to Grant, her white male co-workers repeatedly flashed their weenies, dropped the N-word, asked to see her breasts, talked sympathetically about the KKK and called her a stupid, nappy-headed ho. And when none of those tried and true seduction techniques worked, "Mo" Grant says they resorted to spreading rumors that she was a "Ho-Mo."
      I mean this in the most non-offensive, non-gender-specific, Rick James way, Mauricia Grant is not a Ho-Mo, she's a soon-to-be "Rich Bitch."
      Yeah, she caught NASCAR ridin' dirty, and the settlement headed her way is going to make Anucha Browne Saunders and Chamillionaire blush. If you remember, Saunders won $11.5 million for tolerating Zeke the Freak's primitive sexual advances and bitch moves. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I don't recall Zeke showcasing Magic's Stick during his romancing of Saunders.
      No, what Grant experienced is on a whole different level, which should more than compensate for her entry-level status at NASCAR and the fact that her direct supervisors did not participate in much of the harassment.
      What she claims to have experienced will also render Brian France's position that he and her supervisors were unaware of her Mississippi Burning pretty hard to believe.
      "The disappointing thing is she makes a lot of claims, none of them reported," France said in a statement refuting Grant's charges. "It's inconsistent of our policies of our company and how we operate the sport. The fact that it went on as she stated, Ms. Grant, for many months, but never bothered to tell anyone at management what was going on — which is what our policy says — is very disappointing. We would have liked, if those types things were in fact going on, we would have loved to have done an investigation and a review of such an allegation."
      If what she alleges is even remotely true, she certainly operated in a hostile work environment, and it appears her supervisors did little to stop co-workers David Duke (not the famous one), Jonathan Dickerson, Bud Moore and others from torturing her mentally.

Jason Whitlock wants to know what you think about the important issues in sports today. Contact him here.

She claims that: Duke, Moore and Tim Knox all flashed their johnsons at different times; Duke, Dickerson and Russell Howard used the N-word in her presence; Dickerson told her that the KKK was no different from the NAACP.
      In all, I counted at least 20 allegations in her lawsuit that were racist, reprehensible and totally unprofessional. Her lawyers also listed perhaps another 20 allegations that seemed bogus and overly sensitive. Claims that NASCAR officials didn't come to her aid when a group of race fans shouted "Look at the black official" or complaining that her co-workers said "Mo looks hot today" weaken the seriousness of her legitimate charges.
      But that's nitpicking. I guess her lawyers wanted to overwhelm the court with volume. They don't need it. There's more than enough there to charge NASCAR with gross negligence and indifference without pointing out that chassis supervisor Alan Shepard asked Mauricia to purchase his mistress gifts.
      Before reading her actual lawsuit, I was suspicious of her allegations and motive. I had no doubt that Grant experienced an unprofessional work environment. I don't believe there is such a thing as a professional work environment. And I say that realizing that in my younger days I occasionally contributed to a lack of professionalism. I've never worked in an environment where women couldn't complain of some sort of aggressive or subtle sexual harassment. Inappropriate sexual relationships on the job are the norm more than an abnormality. And I've heard enough white, black, Mexican and Asian stereotype jokes to perform a Chris Rock standup routine.
      I expected Grant's lawsuit to be filled with stuff I'd seen before, stuff you see on every job.
      But this was different. She might have felt more comfortable working as a barmaid at a stripclub. I've heard they have the good sense to throw you out of gentlemen's clubs if you pull out your six iron or five wood. (Now, if you unveil an eight iron, they'll hand you a Chippendales application.)
      NASCAR is in serious trouble here. Unless it has some awfully good dirt on Mauricia Grant, the organization should angle for a quick settlement, fire most of the clowns who worked with Grant and get Isiah Thomas and Sean Salisbury to host a diversity seminar.
      Let Jason know what you think: Click here or e-mail him directly at ballstate68@aol.com.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

She needs to shut up and be quiet, like HL. America is about to vote for a black president!

Yay!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
        X