Commish In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commish In

Commissioner in Tuesday, 03 June 2008 [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Prime [COLOR=blue! important]Minister[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Bruce Golding has announced that Commissioner of [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Police[/COLOR][/COLOR] Rear Hardley Lewin has withdrawn his resignation letter.

Mr. Golding made the announcement in Parliament Tuesday afternoon.

The Commissioner's change of heart came following the intervention of Prime Minister Bruce Golding, the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Police [COLOR=blue! important]Services[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Commission and other local lobby groups.

RJR News also understands that the Prime Minister met with the Defense Committee to discuss the matter.

On Monday night, our news centre received confirmation that the Commissioner had resigned, after almost six months on the job.

His letter of resignation was reportedly submitted to the Police Services Commission Monday morning.

Commissioner Lewin took office on December 17, despite howls of protest from some quarters that someone in the Force should have been given the post of top cop.

It was expected that he would lead the charge in reducing [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Jamaica's[/COLOR][/COLOR] high level of crime which has seen over 700 persons killed since the start of the year.

News of Commissioner Lewin's resignation came weeks after the National Security Portfolio was removed from Derrick Smith and handed to Colonel Trevor McMillan, another [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]military [COLOR=blue! important]man[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR].

I would have done the same

Head of the Police Officers Association Superintendent [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Michael[/COLOR][/COLOR] James on Tuesday hinted that the Commissioner Lewin had not received all the tools to do the job.

He said were he in that position he too would have been forced to step aside.

"I would want to believe that if I find myself in a situation that is compromising everything that I would have earned over time I would not want to stay around and to be held up by the cynical public as a failure when the doings were not of my own."

Superintendent James also indicated that the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]relationship[/COLOR][/COLOR] involving the senior officers and the Police Commissioner had been improving.

"Rear Admiral Lewin meant well, there were challenges as to how he had gone about it but I don't think there was any discontent about his good intentions to move the organisation forward and move it quickly. I think all the members of the core would have recognized that he wanted to do new things in a short period of time," said Superintendent James.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

so it is safe to say the police officer them a give the commish a hard time?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Police officers?
      More like follow the power, which party is in Govt, and who is the leader...?
      The strange thing is Bruce and Levin were complicit in the most recent, infamous TG matter, and it was allowed to happen in Bruce's backyard.
      Perhaps Bruce should reconsider allowing his commissioner to launch their military style attacks on communities considering that commissioner time may be short.

Blessed

Comment

But the PM say him not messing with police operations. It was the rank and file lick out against him and fail to support his ideas. Did you hear the attack the officer made directed to the commish a week ago?

Bruce a part of the team which beg him to stay on.

Comment

Working...
        X