• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In defence of Portia

In defence of Portia
    published: Thursday | May 29, 2008

The Editor, Sir:
    I have to respond to a letter in Monday's Gleaner in the commentary section titled 'Put Party First', which I believe is completely out of line.
    There is no member of the PNP who is more dedicated to the party and ensuring its success than Mrs Simpson Miller. She has worked hard over the years to build our movement.

When we were in Opposition in the 1980s, while others were away trying to build themselves she was one of the few trying to keep the party alive. She is dedicated to the People's National Party, not herself.

Single candidate
    The infighting in the PNP is not of her doing, it is engineered by a few elitists who feel that leadership is only reserved for a few persons. The truth is that Mrs Simpson Miller worked with every single candidate in the last election including those who vilified her during the nasty presidential race. Were it not for her, I can assure you that many of them would be out in the cold and we would be an Opposition with eight or so seats.
    We have 28 seats, the biggest minority ever. Let me also remind the author of the letter that with only nine seats in Parliament in the 1980s Michael Manley retained his post at party president.

The suggestion that the party be put first should not to be directed at Mrs Simpson Miller, but to those intent on destroying the party for their own selfish reasons.
    I am, etc.,
    ELMAY JAMES elmayjames@gmail.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

aaah amen, come forward brother
    and tell it to the world. Yuh know what mi sarry say Nanny P werk so hard, she should ah leff dem to Brucie. Is only ten would sit at present in Gordon house.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      In defence of Portia
      published: Thursday | May 29, 2008

The Editor, Sir:
      I have to respond to a letter in Monday's Gleaner in the commentary section titled 'Put Party First', which I believe is completely out of line.
      There is no member of the PNP who is more dedicated to the party and ensuring its success than Mrs Simpson Miller. She has worked hard over the years to build our movement.

When we were in Opposition in the 1980s, while others were away trying to build themselves she was one of the few trying to keep the party alive. She is dedicated to the People's National Party, not herself.

Single candidate
      The infighting in the PNP is not of her doing, it is engineered by a few elitists who feel that leadership is only reserved for a few persons. The truth is that Mrs Simpson Miller worked with every single candidate in the last election including those who vilified her during the nasty presidential race. Were it not for her, I can assure you that many of them would be out in the cold and we would be an Opposition with eight or so seats.
      We have 28 seats, the biggest minority ever. Let me also remind the author of the letter that with only nine seats in Parliament in the 1980s Michael Manley retained his post at party president.

The suggestion that the party be put first should not to be directed at Mrs Simpson Miller, but to those intent on destroying the party for their own selfish reasons.
      I am, etc.,
      ELMAY JAMES elmayjames@gmail.com

Is this the same Portia that when questioned about Trafigura said, "dont ask me, go ask the PNP"?

If ah start laugh, I wont stop!

Comment

Working...
      X