'Crime can be conquered, but ...'

• 'Crime can be conquered, but ...'

Police Commissioner, Rear Admiral Hardley Lewin, yesterday said Jamaica must develop the political will to battle crime, noting that continued indecisiveness will only prolong the problem.

Addressing day two of the 65th annual conference of the Jamaica Police Federation, Lewin said the problem of crime must be properly understood.

"If we don't, we will find ourselves dealing with the symptoms and not the root cause," Lewin said.

The issue of politics

He said the issue of politics continues to divide communities.

"The solution is not too difficult to remedy but we first have to accept some truths," the commissioner said.

Turning to other issues, Lewin outlined a comprehensive plan to address concerns about police undertaking private jobs when they are off duty; the implementation of a 40-hour workweek and repairing dilapidated police stations.

He also disclosed that $800 million will be spent on acquiring new vehicles for the police.

Regarding the contentious 40-hour workweek for the police, the commissioner said he was committed to seeing it implemented soon.

"The 40-hour workweek has been languishing too long," Lewin said. "I am supportive of it in principle and I believe we have to move it forward and we have to do it quickly."

The commissioner also said a review of the Jamaica Constabulary Force is now under way with a view to making the organisation more efficient and effective.

Maybe we need fi get serious and scrap the focking JCF. Simply start from scratch or better yet ... hire some (wha Mosiah call dem?) consultants. Give BlackWater a contract and see how dem duh nuh?

No, nuh bodda wid wid di Blackwater experiment. Someting tell mi fi wi gunman dem woulda pick dem off like...BUD!

The commish is talking some serious tings here. I will have to address them a little later. But this is serious!

Well.. JCF does have superior training...

can't wait fi hear your views.

We do know it is the divide that is the factor and not politics.
              Case in point, two PNP areas separated by a road, and with different names, will they get along then?

Waste of time and chat, and we lack the will to fight crime. The more officials chat, the more tings remain the same.

All of us on the forum soon get over it, once crime reduces from its high projected rate of 1,500 homicides/year to the normal rate of 1,000 homicides/year.