'Crime can be conquered, but ...'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Crime can be conquered, but ...'

Police Commissioner, Rear Admiral Hardley Lewin, yesterday said Jamaica must develop the political will to battle crime, noting that continued indecisiveness will only prolong the problem.

Addressing day two of the 65th annual conference of the Jamaica Police Federation, Lewin said the problem of crime must be properly understood.

"If we don't, we will find ourselves dealing with the symptoms and not the root cause," Lewin said.

The issue of politics

He said the issue of politics continues to divide communities.

"The solution is not too difficult to remedy but we first have to accept some truths," the commissioner said.

Turning to other issues, Lewin outlined a comprehensive plan to address concerns about police undertaking private jobs when they are off duty; the implementation of a 40-hour workweek and repairing dilapidated police stations.

He also disclosed that $800 million will be spent on acquiring new vehicles for the police.

Regarding the contentious 40-hour workweek for the police, the commissioner said he was committed to seeing it implemented soon.

"The 40-hour workweek has been languishing too long," Lewin said. "I am supportive of it in principle and I believe we have to move it forward and we have to do it quickly."

The commissioner also said a review of the Jamaica Constabulary Force is now under way with a view to making the organisation more efficient and effective.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Maybe we need fi get serious and scrap the focking JCF. Simply start from scratch or better yet ... hire some (wha Mosiah call dem?) consultants. Give BlackWater a contract and see how dem duh nuh?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

No, nuh bodda wid wid di Blackwater experiment. Someting tell mi fi wi gunman dem woulda pick dem off like...BUD!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The commish is talking some serious tings here. I will have to address them a little later. But this is serious!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well.. JCF does have superior training...

Comment

can't wait fi hear your views.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

We do know it is the divide that is the factor and not politics.
              Case in point, two PNP areas separated by a road, and with different names, will they get along then?

Blessed

Comment

Waste of time and chat, and we lack the will to fight crime. The more officials chat, the more tings remain the same.

All of us on the forum soon get over it, once crime reduces from its high projected rate of 1,500 homicides/year to the normal rate of 1,000 homicides/year.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                X