• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A mother's relief

A mother's relief
    published: Wednesday | May 28, 2008

The Editor, Sir:
    On Friday morning I made a frantic call to one of the police officers who was assigned to me while I was a minister of Government. He has since been re-assigned and carries out duties in the downtown area and has another young policeman as his partner, who grew up with my younger brothers and sisters.

I felt like a mother who had just heard of the shooting of two young men and was waiting to hear if her son was one of them. The great sense of relief that I felt when he answered his phone was only tempered by the realisation that two other mothers would not feel this relief.

Under fire
    We send out our young men and women in the police force every day to face criminals without them having the proper support, either in terms of equipment, back-up, or community support. They have been under fire for a long time, from the criminals and those who consider themselves 'well thinking.'

All I can say is, wait until it comes close to home, and those who hide and give succour to the criminals, will know what it feels like to wait to hear if it is your son or daughter who has been led into a trap.

Like the people of Trench Town, all of Jamaica must say we will take no more and really act upon that decision.
    I am, etc.,
    ALOUN NDOMBET- ASSAMBA
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Did she drill her fellow MPs when they were in power to do more about the crime wave? If not, she can stay deh a talk bout "will take no more". Dat gone long, long time!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X