No announcement yet.

In his own words: Micheal Lee-Chin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dis is one smaddy I hope doan have a ounce a Jamaican blood inna har!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      I have a confession to make. Until today i had NEVER heard that Condi Rice had Jamaican connections, so I had to do some google-ing.

Jawge, see below from about.com. Very strange that she has never said anything about her Jamaican heritage.

Condoleezza Rice was born in Birmingham, Alabama, November 14, 1954, the only child of Jamaican immigrants, Angelena Rice and the Reverend John Wesley Rice, Jr. Her father was a minister at Westminster Presbyterian Church and her mother was a music teacher. She learned to read music as the age of three. Her name, Condoleezza, is a variation on the Italian musical term "con dolcezza" which is a direction to play "with sweetness".
      Because the information is INCORRECT!
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Angelena Ray Rice (Condi's mom)

Angelena Ray Rice (21 July 1924 – August 1985), teacher of high school music and science in Birmingham, Alabama and Denver, Colorado, was the mother of United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
        Rice was born in Alabama to Albert Robinson Ray III (b. Alabama, c. 1895), who worked in 1930 as a coal digger in Jefferson County, Alabama, and wife (married c. 1920) Mattie Lula ... Parham (Alabama, February 1899 – living 1930), paternal granddaughter of Albert Ray (Alabama, August 1870 – living 1900) and wife (married c. 1890) Angeline ... (Alabama, December 1871 – living 1900) and maternal granddaughter of Walter Parham (Georgia, January 1876 – between 1910 and 1920) and wife Emma ... (Alabama, October 1877 – living 1930).[1]
        Rice's husband John Wesley Rice, Jr., and their daughter lived in Titusville, a Black middle class neighbourhood in Birmingham, Alabama. She named her daughter Condoleezza, after the Italian musical notation “con dolcezza” meaning to play "with sweetness". Angelena Rice managed her daughter's schedule, schooling Condoleezza in academic subjects and music, and sending her to ballet, youth group, and church. Since Condoleezza could read fluently by age five, Angelena Rice wanted her to start school. When the principal of the black elementary school said she was too young, Rice took a one-year leave of absence and home-schooled her daughter. This education was rigorous and structured.
        Angelena Rice enrolled her daughter in a variety of schools to expose her to different social and educational experiences. She instructed her daughter to excel and be above average in every endeavour.
        Angelena Rice's parents protected her from Birmingham's Jim Crow laws by telling her to use facilities at home, rather than segregated washrooms and water fountains. Later, Angelena Rice was told her daughter could not use a "whites only" dressing room, but argued until the shop clerk relented.
        In 1969, Angelena Rice was diagnosed with breast cancer. She died in 1985.
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

I hear wi soon have nuff rice inna St. Elizabeth.

Comment

She might be Guyanese? dem have plenty rice...
            pr
            Peter R

Comment

"Confidence" ...key. The word pops up several times in his speech.

pr
              Peter R

Comment

Working...
              X