X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunmen shoot pastor

Gunmen shoot pastor
    published: Tuesday | May 27, 2008

Congregants of the Mount Carey Baptist Church in St James at a prayer meeting yesterday after the shooting of their Pastor George Simpson. Up to late yesterday, Simpson was in hospital in serious but stable condition. - PHOTO by Adrian FRATER

WESTERN BUREAU:
    Pastor George Simpson of the Mt Carey Baptist Church in St James was hospitalised in serious but stable condition yesterday after gunmen shot him about 7 a.m.

Simpson, who has been serving the community of Mt Carey as a pastor for 27 years, was standing on his verandah when men armed with handguns approached and opened fire.

His wife, who was also at home at the time, escaped unhurt.
    Residents who rushed to the pastor's house after the shooting found him suffering from head injuries.

Police on the scene
    With the help of the police, who were early on the scene, the injured pastor was rushed to hospital.

As news of the shooting spread, anger and anxiety gripped the community. Some people blocked the community's main road, claiming that the nearby Anchovy police have not been effective in combating crime.

Later, word came that the pastor was alive, prompting some of his members to go to church to ask God to spare his life.

"God, we are calling out to you in the name of justice and not in a spirit of revenge to bring these criminals to justice," said the Reverend Carriel Graham, pastor of the Mt Carey Abundant Life Church of God.

A barrage of gunfire
    While congregants were praying and wailing, a barrage of gunfire rang out from a nearby hillside.

People who were in the churchyard shouted "justice", thinking that the police had caught Simpson's attackers.

A senior policeman later told The Gleaner that security forces fired warning shots after they spotted a group of young men running from a house.

"We fired the warning shots to get them to stop," the policeman said.
    The men were held and taken to the Anchovy Police Station to be processed.

Simpson is the third religious leader to be shot in western Jamaica in 12 months.

Last May, Pastor Egnol Grant, head of the Adventist circuit of churches in Granville, St James, was attacked and shot by gunmen at his upscale Irwindale home.
    In February this year, Deacon Peter Salkey, who is also a police corporal, was shot and injured on the compound of the Bethel Town Seventh-day Adventist Church in Westmoreland.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Shatta wha a gwaan innah fi yuh neck a di woods?
    A nuh suh mi di kno dem place deh stay?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

was the pastor armed with anything other than the word of god?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

somalia, how are you? We
        are coming with open arms.

Comment

Shatta claim him want them to use Bible and block bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            was the pastor armed with anything other than the word of god?
            maybe not...
            maybe he had at least one gun...???

...but did the shooters ask him whether or not he was armed...or ask him to 'draw'? ...or did they just open fire?

mmmm??? Somehow I think if they had said anything that made him think he was in danger he would have taken evasive action and fled his verandah?

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

mmmm??? Somehow I think if they had said anything that made him think he was in danger he would have taken evasive action and fled his verandah?
              mi never know say man can outrun bullet? Better yuh did say if him did hand a gun him couldah send 1 or 2 a dem guh meet dem maker.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

unless he's faster than a speeding bullet........

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  mi never know say man can outrun bullet? Better yuh did say if him did hand a gun him couldah send 1 or 2 a dem guh meet dem maker.
                  Lot of things you do not know about 'bullet'.

Let me tell you it is easier for a shooter with a hand-gun to miss hitting you at 10 feet if you are a moving target than for him to hit you.

Comment

Lot of things you do not know about 'bullet'.

Let me tell you it is easier for a shooter with a hand-gun to miss hitting you at 10 feet if you are a moving target than for him to hit you.
                    I'll take your word for it ... I'd rather have a gun to defend myself.
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                      I'll take your word for it ... I'd rather have a gun to defend myself.
                      Point is the reverse is true i.e. you have the gun and you being unable to hit the target. Currently in JA the gun criminals 99.99+% have 'the drop' on the law-abiding individual.

It is simple the law-abiding victim does not realise he/she is targeted. When that law-abiding citizen becomes aware...he/she is either being victimised or is in heaven having milk and honey or in hell stoking the fires!

What then is the point of being robbed previous to being shot or dying with a gun on your person?

I say DISARM the entire society! Make "No guns" excepting the security forces the law of the land. Outside of the security forces and have gun on person? Clear indication that person welcomes BUD status!

Comment

good point but

Point is the reverse is true i.e. you have the gun and you being unable to hit the target. Currently in JA the gun criminals 99.99+% have 'the drop' on the law-abiding individual.

It is simple the law-abiding victim does not realise he/she is targeted. When that law-abiding citizen becomes aware...he/she is either being victimised or is in heaven having milk and honey or in hell stoking the fires!

What then is the point of being robbed previous to being shot or dying with a gun on your person?

I say DISARM the entire society! Make "No guns" excepting the security forces the law of the land. Outside of the security forces and have gun on person? Clear indication that person welcomes BUD status!

.... Good point, however it is too late to disarm the gunman so the next best thing is to require that every able person who meets a set of critera MUST carry a firearm....
                        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

that statistic willimprove to less than 99.99% .. consider the example provided the other day.....

1 less gunman, a law abiding citizen's life saved and maybe his family tooo.......you don't want to improve those odds karl?

Comment

Hopefully Bruce can apply the brakes.

What a wikid set the PNP was.. wikid and irresponsible.

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
                              .... Good point, however it is too late to disarm the gunman so the next best thing is to require that every able person who meets a set of critera MUST carry a firearm....
                              One thing that would come out of disaming all excepting the gunman and the security forces is easy recognition in majority of cases 'who is, whom'? BUDS, as would security force members, would stand out.

By and large BUDs are not 'so brave'...after an alarming number 'get weh bud get', as it must...dramatic drop in numbers of BUDs would occur.

Comment

Working...
                              X