Obama about to clinch victory, aide says

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama about to clinch victory, aide says

Barack Obama will formally capture the Democratic presidential nomination soon after next week's final primaries, the Illinois senator's top campaign aide is predicting.

In an interview with the New York Daily News, Obama campaign adviser David Axelrod said that after the June 3 primaries in South Dakota and Montana, Obama will "be at the number we need to claim the nomination."
    "We're very close now," Axelrod said. "When the primaries end, I think, we'll be where we need to be. … We'll be at the number we need to claim the nomination."

According to CNN's latest estimate, Obama is now 52 delegates short of clinching the Democratic nomination while Clinton is 246 delegates short of the magic number. There are 86 pledged delegates up for grabs in the remaining three contests. Just over 200 superdelegates also have not publicly declared who they are supporting.

Obama is unlikely to clinch the nomination with pledged delegates alone, but his campaign has said it expects enough superdelegates will declare their support of the Illinois senator soon after the final two primaries.
    Axelrod's comments come two days after Bill Clinton suggested some are trying to “push and pressure and bully” superdelegates to make up their minds prematurely.

The former president also suggested Sunday that if the New York senator ended the primary season with an edge in the popular vote, it would be a significant development.

"If you vote for her and she does well in Montana and she does well in Puerto Rico, when this is over she will be ahead in the popular vote,” said Clinton.
    Last edited by Karl; May 27, 2008, 12:59 PM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

was it ever about popular vote? is the us election about the popular vote? dem tink america is a "one man one vote" democracy....a wha duh dem a wha duh dem a wha duh dem dem dem......

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yeah but since the Dems have spent the last 8 years bitching and moaning that Bush stole the 2000 election because Gore won the popular vote, it would take some serious hypocrisy for them to now say that popular vote counts for absolutely nothing in thier own election. Hypocrisy that they are quite capable of displaying as politicians, mind you.

This is exactly why i could never be a successful politician. I have real difficulty trying to argue both sides of the same topic with equal passion and conviction depending on what is more convenient for me at different points in time.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Clinton still lobbying hard for the Super Delegates to choose her with her 'popular vote' argument.

That is her only hope.

Mi ah wonder now who Obama gwine choose as him running mate.. CNN a analyze di sed ting.. dem have Hillary as a candidate for VP.. ah wondah if CNN realize seh primaries nuh dun yet ?

LOL !!!

Comment

sam nunn i think....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
            This is exactly why i could never be a successful politician. I have real difficulty trying to argue both sides of the same topic with equal passion and conviction depending on what is more convenient for me at different points in time.

...that is why yuh name Gamma!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
            X