• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tacius Golding wins National Schools' Debate

(dem beat CC )

Tacius Golding wins National Schools' Debate
    published: Tuesday | May 27, 2008

Christopher Pearson, best debater for 2008 and captain of the Tacius Golding High School team, accepts the championship trophy from Dianna Blake-Bennett, marketing manager of Burger King, title sponsor of the National Schools' Debate. Tacius Golding defeated Cornwall College in Sunday's final. - Colin Hamilton/Freelance Photographer

TACIUS GOLDING was on Sunday crowned Burger King National Schools' Debate champions, following victory over Cornwall College in the finals played at Television Jamaica (TVJ) studio, St Andrew.
    The north St Catherine school, named in honour of the father of Prime Minister Bruce Golding, was also announced the most improved school in the competition.

Strong argument
    Opposing the moot 'Men should lead', Tacius Golding, according to the judges, enunciated their arguments more clearly and refuted more effectively. Its first speaker, Christopher Pearson, was adjudged best speaker.

Cornwall's eloquent speakers advanced the argument that men should lead. The team of Mikhail Williams, Travis Aitkinson and Norman Malcolm, presented well-researched points and built strong arguments in support of their claims.

In support of women
    However, Tacius Golding stood firm in opposing the moot. Among the arguments they advanced was that agreeing with the moot would relegate women to being mere followers. Cornwall attempted to counter this point by stressing that they were not comparing men to women.

Tacius Golding, meanwhile, reeled off a list of notable women who have been exemplary leaders. The list included civil rights symbol Rosa Parkes and United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
    Rochelle Jones, Tacius Golding's third speaker, pointed to Rice's mettle and contrasted it with Kern Spencer, who she said cracked under pressure by crying in Parliament.
    The Tacius Golding team said it should not be the case that someone leads because he is a man. Instead, a responsible adult, whether male or female, should assume a leadership role as the situation dictates.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

she is going to be a COLD one......

Rochelle Jones, Tacius Golding's third speaker, pointed to Rice's mettle and contrasted it with Kern Spencer, who she said cracked under pressure by crying in Parliament.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I think that's a poor choice for a moot in a debate though.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

i wouldn't have chosen it, but the subject is less important than how it is debated in my opinion.

in fact some of the better debates i have seen and been involved in had some innocuous moots.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I beg to second; even the rice/spencer analogy
          was a poor one. There seems to be a tendency in Ja to embrace poor anaologies in debates. I don't know why.

Comment

Working...
          X