Sensible Gleaner position on RIU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensible Gleaner position on RIU

.... choosing not to personalize the issue (artfully omitting direct reference to the Newsletter's campaign) but looking at the broader national concerns.

EDITORIAL - Reframing a tourism master plan
    published: Monday | May 26, 2008

This past week, the Riu Group, a Spanish leisure and travel company, began to remove the fourth floor from one of the buildings of a hotel being constructed at Mahoe Bay, on Jamaica's northwest coast, in order to comply with the country's building regulations.

The hotel is in the flight path of Montego Bay's Sangster airport and the offending structure apparently exceeded the height limit established by the island's civil aviation authorities for buildings in the vicinity. There has been much controversy if, and how, Riu received permits allowing it to construct the building and over other alleged breaches at the site.

Coincidentally, much of the controversy over Riu and the wider issue of the slew of investment by Spanish firms in Jamaica's tourism sector during this decade, sizzled, as Edmund Bartlett, the tourism minister, prepared for his participation in Parliament's annual debate on the state of the economy.

Feeling disenchanted

Mr Bartlett rejected suggestions that Spanish firms, believing that they are being picked on, have grown disenchanted with Jamaica's investment climate, to the point one firm has put on hold a major project.

The tourism minister may have been correct in the specifics, that the company in question may have delayed its development for economic reasons. But as Mr Bartlett is aware, business confidence is not often the result of a single or specific issue; it is mostly a creeping intangible. And hardly would Mr Bartlett or anyone deny that there has been a growing unease, if not outright resentment, of the Spanish entry into Jamaica, which has been given added weight by whatever may have been their alleged failings on environmental issues and adherence to Jamaican laws.

To be absolutely clear, this newspaper insists upon adherence to Jamaica's laws, rules and regulations by all persons and corporations, no matter their origins. So, ensuring that Riu is in compliance, is not an issue.

We think that this unease about the Spanish is not a narrow anti-foreigner matter or the product of government action, but is wound up in more complex issues of competition and the longer-term direction of an important sector of the Jamaican economy. Indeed, it points to the need for a broader and more fundamental debate, which Mr Bartlett had an opportunity to frame, but missed during his parliamentary presentation.

Choosing a market

The question that the government, investors in the industry and the wider Jamaica need to pose and answer is: What type of tourism does the country want and how, and who, will be allowed to play? The fact is, the world - and Jamaica - has changed substantially since this island's early foray into big-business tourism. And it is not clear to us that Jamaica, either psychologically or strategically, has defined which rung it can reasonably occupy on the global tourism ladder.

Mr Bartlett told Parliament that the tourism master plan developed in the earlier part of the decade is to be reviewed, the industry having surpassed some targets but failing to achieve others. That review must include debate on a philosophical and strategic frame within which we place tourism, lest we find ourselves overcome by jingoism.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

was that all?

it seems to me that there was an "artful dig" on the minister as well.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I see an issue is now being created about megahotels. Apparently, there is some study that says that megahotels are not good for Jamaica, given their impact on the environment and whatever else.

Begs the question - what is the ideal hotel size for Jamaica? I'm sure Sandals has that answer locked.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        was that all?

it seems to me that there was an "artful dig" on the minister as well.
        agree.... some implied criticism for Bartlett.... question is- was it deserved?

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          I see an issue is now being created about megahotels. Apparently, there is some study that says that megahotels are not good for Jamaica, given their impact on the environment and whatever else.

Begs the question - what is the ideal hotel size for Jamaica? I'm sure Sandals has that answer locked.
          I think Jamaica should have a mixed portfolio of resort types... high end, middle and budget properties ... properly structured in different zones.
          That would make the industry resilient to downturn or changing trends.

We need some of those crass mass resorts as a short term measure to address the jobs issue..... but they must be monitored carefully through the EIA process...... some questions:
          1. How does this jive with GOJ fast tracking development approvals?
          2. How do those opposed to big developments propose to create the jobs needed for the mass unemployed? I guess that's not their problem.

Obviously the bigger the resort the bigger the potential adverse enviro impact... but also the bigger the economic effects.

Like everything in nature..... a balanced approach is best.
          Last edited by Don1; May 26, 2008, 04:06 PM.

Comment

listen mutabaruka's people's court part 1 or again..as the case may be....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

At present we cannot compete on the global scale
              or even effectively in business. We are accustomed to the age old system of protection of govt. and using tax payers money to do business. The thought of competing in business is a foreign concept.

I am glad the spaniards have realized the weaknesses in our market an our inability to compete; hence no need to use their connections in the EU to hit back.

Look at the US: cable vision is giving Verizon a hard time, eating in their market of the phone business. I don't see Verizon running to the govt. I see them laying fibre optic lines and planning to get in the cable business.
              I went shopping in the mall: I went in the gap (who is directly across from Victorria's secret) I see them selling underwears (female). What I don't see is victoria secret jumping around saying that they provide higher end under wears and the gap is an inferior product. Competition is good for consumers and the market alike.

Comment

Yes.. Sandals has been noted for its inabilty to compete...

LOL !

Comment

Watch di ride.

Comment

Ok.

LOL !

Comment

di man jus' lan', still a taxi 'pon di run way and yuh welcoming committee greet him arready?!!!

Comment

Your champion has some very serious weaknesses.
                        laugh now.

Comment

Not a problem: I'm accustomed to landing in hostile territory.

Comment

no problem "top gun"......

Comment

Worse case him accept Wallstreet offer.

Him ah tun dem down from wha day...

Comment

Working...
                              X