Them tief Norman Manley Chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Them tief Norman Manley Chair

Last updated: document.write('Sunday, May 25, 2008, 11:48 PM EST'); Sunday, May 25, 2008, 11:48 PM EST

Norman Manley's missing chair 'embarrassing' PNP
    BY ERICA VIRTUE Observer writer virtuee@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, May 26, 2008

A chair that once belonged to People's National Party (PNP) founder and late National Hero, Norman Washington Manley, and which adorned the inner sanctums of the party's Old Hope Road headquarters for more than a quarter of a century has gone missing.
    The disappearance of the chair has embarrassed party officials, who say they are no closer to finding it.
    "It is so embarrassing and frustrating. Right now, no one has any idea where it is or who could have taken it, and it is hardly likely that an outsider could simply have driven into the headquarters and stolen the chair.," party chairman Robert Pickersgill told the Observer.
    According to Pickersgill, sections of the headquarters were cleaned for a press conference to disclose plans for the 70th anniversary launch. The press conference was held on April 29, and sometime later the chair was discovered missing.
    The history of the chair, which is considered the "holy grail" of the party, is still unclear.
    Pickersgill said Norman Manley himself could have made the chair, ". as I believed I read somewhere that he did some carpentry work, but I am not absolutely sure".
    Political historian and Observer columnist, Michael Burke, said his recollections are that the chair was brought to the headquarters at the insistence of Michael Manley.
    "I recall that in 1979, a year after the PNP moved its headquarters from 25 South Camp Road to Old Hope Road and I visited the office on an errand for my brother Paul, the chair was there." he said.
    Manley's son, Michael, according to Burke, ".wanted people who come to the PNP's headquarters to see a kind of museum detailing the history of the party."
    But that desire did not get much further than the chair and few more artifacts.
    Burke said he did not know if the chair was used by Manley at his home, law office or used while he attended meetings at the headquarters. Pickersgill said he did not know if it was inherited.
    But history aside, sources say the theft has left members of the party pointing fingers at each other, and has further widened the rift that has been rocking the party for more than three years since the leadership challenge which rejected Peter Phillips, Omar Davies and Dr Karl Blythe in February 2005.
    Current party president, Portia Simpson Miller, is said to be disgusted by the disappearance of the chair. So too are other officials, including the vice-presidents and general secretary. It is not known if former president P J Patterson had been notified.
    Party officials are said to have been too embarrassed to go public, while others believe it may help to put pawn shops on the alert to its significance, should it be brought in for sale.
    Made from hardwood, and dark leather for the back support, it was held together by gold studs at either side. The seat of the chair was also made from leather, and described as 'very rare.'
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

The chair sits in the foyer/lobby (maybe Maudib can explain the difference) of the PNP headquarters. Not a place with much security but I guess no one would ever imagine that someone would move with it. It's a hefty chair so maybe more than one person was involved if they wanted to move it quickly.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Maybe Termites got tuh it....

Comment

That's funny. I expected some thoughtless, stupid jab, but this is actually clever!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You need to raise your expectations...

Comment

May someone thought is was junk

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            Last updated: document.write('Sunday, May 25, 2008, 11:48 PM EST'); Sunday, May 25, 2008, 11:48 PM EST

Norman Manley's missing chair 'embarrassing' PNP
            BY ERICA VIRTUE Observer writer virtuee@jamaicaobserver.com
            Monday, May 26, 2008

A chair that once belonged to People's National Party (PNP) founder and late National Hero, Norman Washington Manley, and which adorned the inner sanctums of the party's Old Hope Road headquarters for more than a quarter of a century has gone missing.
            The disappearance of the chair has embarrassed party officials, who say they are no closer to finding it.
            "It is so embarrassing and frustrating. Right now, no one has any idea where it is or who could have taken it, and it is hardly likely that an outsider could simply have driven into the headquarters and stolen the chair.," party chairman Robert Pickersgill told the Observer.
            According to Pickersgill, sections of the headquarters were cleaned for a press conference to disclose plans for the 70th anniversary launch. The press conference was held on April 29, and sometime later the chair was discovered missing.
            The history of the chair, which is considered the "holy grail" of the party, is still unclear.
            Pickersgill said Norman Manley himself could have made the chair, ". as I believed I read somewhere that he did some carpentry work, but I am not absolutely sure".
            Political historian and Observer columnist, Michael Burke, said his recollections are that the chair was brought to the headquarters at the insistence of Michael Manley.
            "I recall that in 1979, a year after the PNP moved its headquarters from 25 South Camp Road to Old Hope Road and I visited the office on an errand for my brother Paul, the chair was there." he said.
            Manley's son, Michael, according to Burke, ".wanted people who come to the PNP's headquarters to see a kind of museum detailing the history of the party."
            But that desire did not get much further than the chair and few more artifacts.
            Burke said he did not know if the chair was used by Manley at his home, law office or used while he attended meetings at the headquarters. Pickersgill said he did not know if it was inherited.
            But history aside, sources say the theft has left members of the party pointing fingers at each other, and has further widened the rift that has been rocking the party for more than three years since the leadership challenge which rejected Peter Phillips, Omar Davies and Dr Karl Blythe in February 2005.
            Current party president, Portia Simpson Miller, is said to be disgusted by the disappearance of the chair. So too are other officials, including the vice-presidents and general secretary. It is not known if former president P J Patterson had been notified.
            Party officials are said to have been too embarrassed to go public, while others believe it may help to put pawn shops on the alert to its significance, should it be brought in for sale.
            Made from hardwood, and dark leather for the back support, it was held together by gold studs at either side. The seat of the chair was also made from leather, and described as 'very rare.'
            ... Perhap the person who took it thought it was junk.
            The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

KERN nuh easy a rhattid

Comment

Maybe a one a dem labourite Portia let inna the party who nuh know the history of Norman Manley -

You have fi watch them cause some people want seat by any means
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

heh heeeeeeeeeeeey.....what a sinting!

on a serious note it would be very very poor if it was taken by a party faithful.....

willi...symbolic of how this party has departed from daddy manley's vision? maybe daddy manley HIMSELF move it!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                  X