'Stress ah kill di Jamaican people'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Stress ah kill di Jamaican people'

Opposition leader makes impassioned plea for poor as food prices riseBY KIMONE THOMPSON Sunday Observer staff reporter thompsomk@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, May 25, 2008

OPPOSITION Leader Portia Simpson Miller used the stage at a divisional conference ofe her party in Spaldings last Thursday to chastise the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) Government for a number of its policies and decisions since taking office eight months ago.

Among the things for which they were criticised were the size of the Cabinet, the country's relationship with Cuba, party members holding dual citizenship, its decision to abolish tuition fees and the push to substitute wheat flour with that made from cassava. But the hinge of Simpson Miller's argument was the increase in food prices in recent months.

SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU: Minnie Clarke (Miss Minnie), former mayor of May Pen, wipes away tears of joy as Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller (left) and Richard Azan, the party's representative for North West Clarendon, visit her at home. (Photo: Kimone Thompson)
    In an emotional presentation, she made comparisons between prices under her government and those under the present JLP administration, and appealed to Prime Minister Bruce Golding to consider the realities of the poor.

"I hurt. I hurt for the household helpers earning $3,700 per week to go to the supermarket with four or five children. [They have to buy] flour, sugar, rice, cornmeal, cooking oil, and chicken. And they have to now be subsidising from buying a chicken to feed their children on a Sunday, to buying canned mackerel. I say to the Government now, be a Government of conscience and find a way to do something more," she pleaded.

"I tried to stabilise rice, flour, sugar, cornmeal, chicken, all the things I know would affect the masses. [But] under driver Golding, cornmeal price gone up, flour price gone up, rice gone up, sugar gone up, chicken gone up, chicken back gone up, bread gone up, cooking oil gone up, petrol gone up, gas oil gone up, taxi fare gone up, light bill gone up, water gone up, and this is the man that had declared that 'we are too blessed to be stressed, and Jamaica is too rich to be poor'. But I say to him tonight, stress ah kill di Jamaican people. Help!"

Prices were so high, she said, that some corner shops were selling bread by the slice.

"Imagine...I have never heard of that in Jamaica before. And I agree that there are international conditions but when I was prime minister, I operated under the same international conditions and I was being criticised by the then Opposition," she said.

Before the rally, which took place on the grounds of Spaldings Primary School, Simpson Miller toured sections of the North West Clarendon constituency with the party's representative, Richard Azan. She went into Cobbla, Alston, Silent Hill and met with a group of children in the town of Spaldings.

It was one of four political meetings taking place across the county at the time, but both the party leader and Azan insisted the purpose of the Clarendon tour was not to mobilise supporters for elections but to inspect some projects started under the PNP, which had apparently stalled under the new regime. They said it was also to fulfil Simpson Miller's campaign promises to meet with supporters more often.

Even so, general elections may be imminent based on the outcome of the dul citizenship case between West Portland MP Daryl Vaz (JLP) and the PNP's Abe Dabdoub.

"I've been silent," Simpson Miller said. "We've been watching them for seven months and then it turned eight months. I was giving them time to come into their own, but it's time now. The honeymoon is over."
    Last edited by Karl; May 27, 2008, 01:27 PM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

WOW!!! daddy manley right fi come back fi him chair...michael should come back fi him "rod of correction".....

Among the things for which they were criticised were the size of the Cabinet, the country's relationship with Cuba, party members holding dual citizenship, its decision to abolish tuition fees and the push to substitute wheat flour with that made from cassava

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Di PNP lose a seat?

Are you serious? They really criticised the JLP over those things?!?

sigh

Where is Ras Astor Black?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yep dem losea seat...and from within it would seem.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          WOW!!! daddy manley right fi come back fi him chair...michael should come back fi him "rod of correction".....

Among the things for which they were criticised were the size of the Cabinet, the country's relationship with Cuba, party members holding dual citizenship, its decision to abolish tuition fees and the push to substitute wheat flour with that made from cassava
          Ole people say" you live long enough you will see everything". We live to see JLP pro free education, PNP say wi cant afford it. JLP pro free health care, PNP say wi cant afford it. JLP expanding Jamaica's ties with Cuba and acknowledging Cuba's progressive policies and help for emerging countries PNP under Portia is concerned. JLP encouraging people to grow and eat local foodstuffs to deal with the cost of foodstuff and PNP ridiculing the idea. All that's left is for the PNP to encourage shopkeepers to hoard basic food items to destabilize this "communist" JLP government. That morally bankrupt leader Michael Manley must be repeating in his grave "The world no level, the world no level". What did 800 + die for again in 1980?. Oh yeah I remember, so the JLP could stop communism. It was obviously worth it.

Comment

As HL would say, "Duck, Rudi, duck! Mind yuh 'ead!"

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

true....but 800 would be a good year in these last couple of years!

Comment

Yeah you right. But I'm thinking that 800 milestone and the philosophy behind it has a lot to do with the 1500+ we seeing today.

Comment

General Election campaign began?
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

"We live to see JLP pro free education"

Rudi ... the JLP was against free education?
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
                      Ole people say" you live long enough you will see everything". We live to see JLP pro free education, PNP say wi cant afford it. JLP pro free health care, PNP say wi cant afford it. JLP expanding Jamaica's ties with Cuba and acknowledging Cuba's progressive policies and help for emerging countries PNP under Portia is concerned. JLP encouraging people to grow and eat local foodstuffs to deal with the cost of foodstuff and PNP ridiculing the idea. All that's left is for the PNP to encourage shopkeepers to hoard basic food items to destabilize this "communist" JLP government. That morally bankrupt leader Michael Manley must be repeating in his grave "The world no level, the world no level". What did 800 + die for again in 1980?. Oh yeah I remember, so the JLP could stop communism. It was obviously worth it.
                      Yuh seit?
                      ...now where is Maudib, Lazie and Comment to ONCE more
                      stand firm
                      with their arguments on the "stupid Michael Manley"!

...and not being hypocrites Maudib, Lazie and Comment shall call out that equally "damn stupid Brucie"?

If a laff a dead!
                      Last edited by Karl; May 27, 2008, 05:31 PM.
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Who want to go on this merry-go round with Lazie?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          Who want to go on this merry-go round with Lazie?
                          Merry-go-round? Why yuh feel yuh must continously try to tek a comical stance?

Comment

Very informative article from Eddie Seaga on the history of so-called "free education" in Jamaica.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...us/focus4.html
                            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                              Very informative article from Eddie Seaga on the history of so-called "free education" in Jamaica.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...us/focus4.html
                              Merry go round! Some jokers will dodge yuh post Islandman.

Comment

Working...
                              X