• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artistes sing Cash Plus woes

Artistes sing Cash Plus woes

Krista Henry, Staff Reporter

( L - R ) Beenie, Vegas
    The fall of the investment scheme Cash Plus Limited has not only brought scores of investors to their knees but has also inspired artistes to pen songs.

Dancehall artistes such as Beenie Man, Monster Empire, Assassin and others are lamenting the collapse of the company through music.

Cash Plus Limited was incorporated on May 5, 2003, by Carlos Hill, and during the period 2004 to 2007, received lenders' funds totalling $22 billion. Its lenders are still reeling from the bad news that they have to wait longer to see if they will recover their monies.

On the entertainment scene the Cash Plus woes have hit the right chords, as songs about the failed scheme have been getting 'forwards'.

Beenie Man speaks
    In his new song Understand Yu'self, Beenie Man speaks to the private sector, which he claims reaps the benefit while the poor suffers.
    "Dem invest inna Cash Plus and di whole ting go buss/afta wi give yuh trust nutting yuh do fi us, private sector understand yuhself," Beenie says.

In Monster Empire's Cash Minus, the group looks at the downfall of Cash Plus saying: "Di people waan back dem money now, yuh think cash a go plus, it a go minus ... a fren go encourage mi join up ... when di time fi collect come, time up." In the chorus one of the members of the empire sings, "want back money from Cash Plus to put inna di bank."

According to General B from Monster Empire, this was a personal experience for him and others in the group who lost money.

He told THE STAR, "It come in like me collapse wid it, nuff people put dem heart and soul inna Cash Plus."

For Assassin, money is at the centre of his latest song Money Make the World Go Round. In the song Assassin claims: "Tek some money from somewhere ... cause everybody waan spend some money ... people mek me tell yuh weh a di worse money, money weh yuh loss or money weh yuh caan get back like Cash Plus money," he deejays.

While these artistes talk about Cash Plus-related issues there are artistes such as Mr Vegas, who had invested money in the scheme but have not recorded a song.

"Bwoy yuh know Cash Plus have money fi mi. Right now mi think seh it just ... I don't even know what to say, Jamaican people see a way out to make money and it's unfortunate that it all came crashing down. It hurt a lot of people, just mek poor people poorer but I guess is just reality," said Mr Vegas.

George nooks upset
    Vegas says the investment he had in Cash Plus was money that he can afford to lose, but in the future he plans to put his money straight in the bank, showing no interest in investment schemes.
    George Nooks also admitted that he also invested in the scheme. "I'm very very upset, when yuh think that everything would work out you get to find out there was nothing there but there was always a risk, when you go into the office they told you what could happen."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X