RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How comes the observer watch dem nah post this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How comes the observer watch dem nah post this?

Dragon Bay will be region's first 6-diamond hotel, says Bartlett
    INGRID BROWN, Observer senior reporter browni@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, May 23, 2008

Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett greets Audrey Marks, president of the American Chamber of Commerce of Jamaica (AMCHAM), before the start of the organisation's speakers forum luncheon at the Hilton Kingston Hotel yesterday. (Photo: Lionel Rookwood)
    Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett yesterday said the planned US$100-million expansion of the Dragon Bay Hotel in Portland will transform it into the first six diamond property in the entire Caribbean.
    As such, he lauded local hotelier and chairman of Sandals Resorts International, Gordon 'Butch' Stewart, for embarking on the high-end development for that parish, which, he said, was necessary as the island seeks to cater to the increase demands of its high-end visitors.
    Bartlett said the 165 ultra exclusive suites will be more of a spa destination with a hotel.
    "I am very proud that it will be a Jamaican entrepreneur who will be doing it and it will be the latest of the Royal Plantation brand," Bartlett told an American Chamber of Commerce of Jamaica (AMCHAM) speakers forum luncheon at the Hilton Kingston Hotel.
    He said such high-end luxury products are needed at this time as budget and medium-level accommodation are already well represented on the island.
    "We need to go to the third tier, which will take us back to where we first began," he said, adding that Portland's capital, Port Antonio, is being defined as the centre for the main top-end development with the Sandals project and expansion of the Trident Hotel, both of which are expected to attract more than US$1,000 a night.
    In a previous interview with the Observer, Stewart had said the Dragon Bay Hotel, when finished, would be one of the finest resorts in the western hemisphere.
    "Port Antonio will be wasted if it is used for anything other than an upscale development," said Stewart. "Everything about it lends itself to high-end development. We plan an upscale spa/resort - the best in the hemisphere - which will be everything but inexpensive. We have additional land which is earmarked for a villa colony, which will share the beach facility with the hotel."
    Yesterday, Bartlett boasted that not only was Jamaica hot as a destination, but its home-grown brands have also achieved world acclaim.
    "I want to pay tribute to the Sandals brand as one which has captured the imagination of the world, and also SuperClubs," he said.
    According to Bartlett, Sandals has become the standard for excellence in all-inclusive hotels in the world.
    He added that other brands like the Sunset Jamaica Grande and Elegant Resorts have also been making names for themselves in the consciousness of the wider world.
    Also, with the introduction of top-end luxury accommodation, as well as the additional rooms slated to come on stream soon, the tourism minister said more than 33,000 new persons are to be employed in the sector.
    Bartlett also announced that Jamaica was named as the number four destination of choice in the Americas and that international auditing and consulting firm KPMG has declared Jamaica the number one investment tourism destination of the Caribbean.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

what difference would it make?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

A just now you a realise?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

mi head tuff. once u and lazie mek up unnu mind...need fi memba dat.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

funny thing is mi nuh mek up mi mind yet

yeah mi notice you join the spanish crew. Nuh worry you soon come join back the "protect the local environment" crew again.

Comment

you just don't get it, sass. you just don't get it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
            X