• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PM's response to editorial

PM's response to editorial
    published: Friday | May 23, 2008

The Editor, Sir:
    The campaign for gay rights does not end with the entitlement to Cabinet membership. Its sights are set on same-sex unions, same-sex marriages.Where is the line to be drawn? Is there a line to be drawn?
    Each society is defined by the values it upholds. It is these values that determine which behaviour is to be encouraged and which is just to be frowned upon and even sanctioned.
    Values inherently involve prejudices. For example, we are prejudiced against incest and prostitution. Should we now be required to recognise the rights of incesters and prostitutes and find accommodation for them in the Cabinet?
    The family unit which is the cradle of our society's values is already under severe stress. It needs to be protected and strengthened, not further undermined by endorsement of lifestyle practices which contradict the relationships on which families are founded.
    Your editorial could have benefited from deeper thought.
    I am, etc.,
    BRUCE GOLDING Prime Minister
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Sound like the republicans family values to me, only better put.

Stand firm Bruce for what you believe.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

well I agree with bruce in the bigger sense. But for him to say no gays in his cabinet how does he know that? That is the part which lends itself to stupidity. He ought to say that marriage is a union between man and woman and as for people life style that is within the law is fine. He wont dig into peoples bedroom but he wont ask and dont expect any to tell... simple

Comment

yeah......him stick him neck out yes....but him wanted to give the impression that he knows his cabinet.....saying "well i don't know if any gays are on my cabinet" would have been worse.

sodomy is still illegal.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I agree. I am sure that is what he meant but you are right he did not say it that way.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

you have fi understand some political dig in there as it was rumoured a year ago that at least one minister in the former cabinet was on the "tapes".

hense......
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

He doesn't know if there are incesters (is that a word?) or prostitutes there either!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Sodomy? Or buggery?

And how is buggery defined?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Same thing, my research tells me. But it would be interesting to note the definition of buggery. Unless we as Jamaicans want to define in our way.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Sodomy? Or buggery?

And how is buggery defined?
                    What?

Comment

What?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

buggery is kinda wider.....in the noun sense....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

sigh. could you have put that another way?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nuh di same ting? How is "our" definition different than others?

Comment

I don't know if our definition is different. First you have to define it. What is your definition of the word?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X