'Stop the unlawful strikes'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Stop the unlawful strikes'

Tough-talking labour minister sounds warning to workers in essential servicesBALFORD HENRY , Observer writer balfordh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, May 23, 2008

MINISTER of Labour and Social Security Pearnel Charles has warned workers in the essential services that his ministry will not tolerate illegal strikes in those services.
    "I am asking that we stop the unlawful industrial actions and let the process work," Charles told the House of Representatives on Wednesday.
    He noted that under the Labour Relations and Industrial Disputes Act (LRIDA), the only time industrial action is deemed lawful in the essential services is where the minister fails to act on a report from either the workers or their employer within 10 days.
    "Let me state, emphatically, that failure to act promptly will not happen under my administration. Therefore, I see no need for industrial action in the essential services. Equally, I will not fail to apply the provisions of the law for any defiance," he warned.

Services listed as essential in the schedule to the LRIDA are: water; electricity; health and hospitals; sanitary; fire; overseas telecomunications; those connected with the loading of ships, storage and delivery of goods at, or from docks; those connected with oil refining, distribution, transportation or retailing of petroleum; and civil aviation services.
    Charles also promised a number of amendments to the LRIDA and other labour laws as part of the legislative reform programme including the Employment Termination and Redundancy Payment Act; Foreign Nationals and Commonwealth Citizens Act; National Assistance Act; National Disabilities Act; and the Employment Agencies Regulation Act.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Di talking ting naah guh work Pernel. Any of those unions that strike illegally, lock up the top brass of the unions. In the school district that my wife teaches, if they should strike they are charged either 400 or 500 per day. Therefore ... they all thing twice before striking.

Something like that need to be implemented a yaad as well.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X