• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gambian president tells gays to leave or be beheaded

Gambian president tells gays to leave or be beheaded
    AFP
    Friday, May 23, 2008

BANJUL, The Gambia (AFP) - Eccentric Gambian President Yahya Jammeh has threatened to behead gays unless they left the country, according to reports yesterday.

"The Gambia is a country of believers... sinful and immoral practices (such) as homosexuality will not be tolerated in this country," the president told a crowd at a political rally, local journalists told AFP yesterday.

He went on to say he would "cut off the head" of any gay person caught in The Gambia.

The anti-gay campaign continued in the Gambian pro-government media this week with the Daily Observer publishing a virulent editorial.

"We have said it before and we will say it again. This is a Muslim and Christian country. Both the Koran and the holy Bible condemn homosexuality - pure and simple," the paper wrote on Monday May 19.

British gay rights group Outrage said in a reaction yesterday that the Gambian leader's comments came as no surprise.
    "Jammeh has a long history of homophobia," spokesman Peter Tatchell said.

"If he tries to carry out these threats, international aid donors are likely to withdraw their support, and foreign tourists will stay away in droves, thereby damaging the Gambian economy," he added.

The tourism industry is vital to Gambia's economy as the West African nation lacks other natural resources.
    Jammeh drew condemnation from African AIDS groups after he claimed in January to have found a "miracle" treatment for HIV/AIDS.

The method was based on medicinal plants and a Koranic verse. All participants were ordered to give up their antiretroviral drugs.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

This President more serious than our PM.

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    Gambian president tells gays to leave or be beheaded
    AFP
    Friday, May 23, 2008

BANJUL, The Gambia (AFP) - Eccentric Gambian President Yahya Jammeh has threatened to behead gays unless they left the country, according to reports yesterday.

"The Gambia is a country of believers... sinful and immoral practices (such) as homosexuality will not be tolerated in this country," the president told a crowd at a political rally, local journalists told AFP yesterday.

He went on to say he would "cut off the head" of any gay person caught in The Gambia.

The anti-gay campaign continued in the Gambian pro-government media this week with the Daily Observer publishing a virulent editorial.

"We have said it before and we will say it again. This is a Muslim and Christian country. Both the Koran and the holy Bible condemn homosexuality - pure and simple," the paper wrote on Monday May 19.

British gay rights group Outrage said in a reaction yesterday that the Gambian leader's comments came as no surprise.
    "Jammeh has a long history of homophobia," spokesman Peter Tatchell said.

"If he tries to carry out these threats, international aid donors are likely to withdraw their support, and foreign tourists will stay away in droves, thereby damaging the Gambian economy," he added.

The tourism industry is vital to Gambia's economy as the West African nation lacks other natural resources.
    Jammeh drew condemnation from African AIDS groups after he claimed in January to have found a "miracle" treatment for HIV/AIDS.

The method was based on medicinal plants and a Koranic verse. All participants were ordered to give up their antiretroviral drugs.

This President more serious than our PM.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

And dem really have strength fi Bruce and Jamaica?

Is only gays qualify as people? Old women suspected of being witches being killed in Kenya, demented old people being preyed upon by thugs in Jamaica, religious persecution all over the place and they only have strength for Jamaica, re the gay issue?

Hahahaha. A bloody joke to rhatid.

Jamaica, where the PM has publicly declared that he has instructed the Security forces to pursue instances of attacks against gays with the full force of the law, equal to all other major crimes! The world nuh level fi real.

If them think Jamaica will comply because they think Jamaica can be cowed, I think they better rethink.

I dont support the anti-gay hysteria, but i know how Jamaica is and I know it will take time and effort to chance. only a foolish person thinks otherwise.

Welcome to JamRock.

Welcome to real politick!

Comment

These gay rights guys are jokers , they pay lip service to thier so call cause .

If they have a hard time in the quote 1st world as Ben puts it, how dem tink dem a guh deal wid de 2nd , third and 4th world ?
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Willi as Mosiah has said, everyone has thier own cause to push.

If someones cause is abuse against women, would you tell them that children are people too so until you include them in your cause, go siddung?

If someones cause is racial discrimination, would you tell them that until he deals with religious discrimination, you have no cause?

Some people who have interests in the gay lifestyle have decided that unequal rights of gays in Jamaica and elsewhere is thier cause, to tell them that there are other causes , even more urgent causes ,does not make thier cause irelevant.

And BTW, that Gambian president just reinforces the sterotype that African leaders are a gang of thugs.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

So hold on deh?

Is Gay groups going to withhold economic aid to Jamaica or is it the Canadian and EU Govts that people are talking bout?

Gay group dont control Govt money, at least not directly.

Gleaner and other proffer the opinions that these Govts hold back aid for this. So again I ask, what about attacks on non-gays. Are non-gays children of a lesser GOD?
            Last edited by Willi; May 23, 2008, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
              So hold on deh?

Is Gay groups going to withhold economic aid to Jamaica or is it the Canadian and EU Govts that people are talking bout?

Gay group dont control Govt money, at least not directly.

Gleaner and other proffer the opinions that these Govts with hold back aid for this. So again ask, what about attacks on non-gays. Are non-gays children of a lesser GOD?
              Rahtid, a yesterday a Jamaican coworker and I was talking about this. I pointed to him that for the past few years more than 1,000 people have been killed in Jamaica, but as a gay person is killed it is automatically assumed they were killed because they were gay.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I don't know if the Gleaner is correct in that assesment, but if they are ,it would not be because non-gays are of a lesser god, it would be because the gay lobby is more powerful and have more money than some other lobbys and that is all politicans and businessmen respond to in the end.

Jews are not of a greater or lesser god, but mess with Jews as a community just about anywhere in the world and there will be an economic if not political price to pay. Maybe one day black people will learn that and use thier economic and politcal clout more effectively.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Which group represents the larger voting block?

Gay or straight?

BTW, according to my analogy, gentiles would be the ones assumed to be the children of...

Comment

Straight. Now answer me this...

Which group represents the smallest voting bloc in the US:
                    Jew, Latino or Black?

Which has the biggest influence over Washington?

Comment

And i don't think i should need to say this but..

I have NOTHING against Jewish people and thier community. As a matter of fact i wish our community would try to learn from thier economic success instead of buying into anti-Semetic sterotypes about why they have been so sucessful.

Comment

yuh seet....economic power...dem boycott dis (cruise, airlines, record lable) and lobby dat (marriage) ...... dem organised fi true.

member what ambassodor peter king's title was? btw yuh notice how dem silent when dem kill dem one anneda.......

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

White...the majority. LoL

Comment

You did not need to say it.

I did not take you for a bigot.

Comment

And as someone in the Justice buizniz you KNOW many if not most gay killings in Jamaica is gay on gay!

Comment

Working...
                              X