X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDITORIAL - Homophobic silliness and a failure of leadership

EDITORIAL - Homophobic silliness and a failure of leadership
    published: Thursday | May 22, 2008

Leadership often demands of the person who assumes that role a willingness to adopt what initially may be unpopular positions and, the ability to persuade and cajole those whom they lead to the embrace of new ideas.
    Indeed, this is a notion of leadership that was often canvassed by Prime Minister Bruce Golding, who, over the past dozen years or so, had sought to fashion himself as a man willing to shift paradigms and to nudge the rest of the country along with him.
    Mr Golding is often at his most eloquent in purveying his ideals for a higher form of governance, including a deep respect for the rights of the individual. Ultimately, Mr Golding talked of steering us towards a gentler and more tolerant Jamaica.
    It is, perhaps, unfortunate that we perceive these as noble ideals, rather than the way things are and ought to be. The question that now seems relevant is whether Mr Golding is willing to expend real political capital to achieve his declared ends? Or, as some might frame it, whether the prime minister is as deeply committed to these ideas of change and whether he has the stomach for the challenge?
    Sharp relief
    This matter has been thrown into sharp relief, internationally, in the face of the prime minister's interview on the BBC television programme 'Hardtalk' in which he displayed, to a global audience, that he is not immune from that most indelicate of Jamaican traits, homophobia. Unless, that is, Mr Golding was playing to a domestic political audience rather than stating a genuinely held belief.
    In recent years, Jamaica has fallen under international pressure for the society's treatment of gays and lesbians, who are, sometimes too often, subject to violence because of their lifestyles. Human rights lobbyists complain of the weak effort of the Jamaican authorities, including the police, to protect the rights of gays and lambaste the fact that sex between males remains a crime in this country.
    Moreover, several Jamaican dancehall artistes have been blacklisted in Europe and North America for their songs promoting violence against gays, and gay and lesbian lobbyists have promoted, so far not very successfully, economic boycotts of the island.
    In the BBC interview, Mr Golding was asked about Jamaica's attitude towards homosexuality. His initial answer was reasonable. There is a problem, but attitudes were softening. His government respected people's privacy.
    Past remarks
    Then Mr Golding was asked about past remarks that no homosexual could be a member of his Cabinet. Here, there was a bit of a waffling inconsistency: while he broadly viewed people on the basis of their abilities, he was under no compulsion to consider gays, in exercising his choice in forming a Cabinet.
    When he was pressed on the issue, Mr Golding resorted to the tactics of the cornered - neither he nor Jamaica would be dictated to. And, on whether gays can ever sit in a Jamaican Cabinet: "Sure ... but not in mine."
    Jamaica and Mr Golding can expect further pressure from the international community, which is the lesser of the outcomes from the PM's performance. His greater failure is that of leadership.
    A potentially unintended consequence of Mr Golding's trenchant statement is that people interpret it as vindication of homophobic and anti-gay violence and for the liberation of the voyeurs.
    The opinions on this page, except for the above, do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner. To respond to a Gleaner editorial, email us: editor@gleanerjm.com or fax: 922-6223. Responses should be no longer than 400 words. Not all responses will be published.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

bruce also what what people do privately is their business.....i think the so called "homophobic" jamaican population is being pushed by gays and they are pushing back.

i think jamaicans are very accepting that there are gays and that there is a gay lifestyle, HOWEVER, jamaicans are not comfortable with this in your face (no pun intended) agression by homosexuals ......

i know of and know many homosexuals in jamaica. indeed peter king's proclivities and parties were not unknown in the wider community. king, the priest, the other guy in new kingston were all killed by "someone they knew"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      bruce also what what people do privately is their business.....i think the so called "homophobic" jamaican population is being pushed by gays and they are pushing back.

i think jamaicans are very accepting that there are gays and that there is a gay lifestyle, HOWEVER, jamaicans are not comfortable with this in your face (no pun intended) agression by homosexuals ......

i know of and know many homosexuals in jamaica. indeed peter king's proclivities and parties were not unknown in the wider community. king, the priest, the other guy in new kingston were all killed by "someone they knew"
      I see they are killing women accused of being witches in Kenya. Is the Govt there doing enough to prevent it? Where is the outcry and pressure groups? Where is the call to include witches in Kenya's cabinet, or devil worshippers?

This whole thing is ludicrous. PMs have ABSOLUTE authority over who they appoint to their cabinets.

In present day Jamaica, an openly gay person can NOT function effectively as a Minister. Time we stop the pretense. If any PM tries this, its civil war in Jam or if we are lucky, only severe social unrest.

Comment

And the other thing is, as long as it is on the books as being illegal, isn't that an obvious problem for an openly gay person in a senior govt position?
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The witch analogy is...theatrical!

I agree with the rest of the post. However, I think the PM could have answered in a more "correct" manner.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Int'L circuit is a different level.

The same way he faltered on the west kgn and violence question (national debate) many cheered him on.

Comment

Only proves my point that the JLp does not understand the
              info age. Remember when I would grill Lazie and Ben about gays in cabinet? Bruce thought saying it locally would be cool and that's that. Wrong! Brucie this is a global village.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                Only proves my point that the JLp does not understand the
                info age. Remember when I would grill Lazie and Ben about gays in cabinet? Bruce thought saying it locally would be cool and that's that. Wrong! Brucie this is a global village.
                Grilled? Welcome back Jawge.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

When mi light firre pon di two ah yuh,
                  unnuh bob an weave all ova di place. Mi still ah go drop dat econ post
                  whey mi promise yuh

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                    When mi light firre pon di two ah yuh,
                    unnuh bob an weave all ova di place. Mi still ah go drop dat econ post
                    whey mi promise yuh
                    Yuh inna the wrong field Jawge ... yuh should be doing stand up. By the way .. yuh boy win La Liga.
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Cho walk in di park, don't tell
                      me you are setting me up for a chance to brag about Christian winning on penalties.

The world will soon know him as the king.

Comment

Bruce and dancehall

Golding
                        So, of course, all and sundry are flustered by Prime Minister Bruce Golding's BBC interview, in which he was definite that there would be no gays in his Cabinet and no repeal of the buggery laws; at least, not because of outside pressure.
                        He did not, of course, proclaim death to homosexuals, but some members of the gay community will surely interpret it as leaving leeway for same.
                        So what does this have to do with dancehall? The connection is obvious as the anti-gay stance (often lyrically violently) of many a deejay has led to protests, bans, campaigns and sponsorship withdrawals.
                        Diplomacy

The expression may be different, but Bruce and many deejays have said just about the same thing, that open (note, open) homosexuality will not be tolerated. The language of diplomacy and the language of dancehall work on different levels, but in this instance they express the same thing.
                        Of course, the Hardtalk host and British authorities did not tell Golding that he was no longer welcome in the country, as has happened with a couple of deejays.
                        So, the question is, does this give the dancehall fraternity any leverage to be able to point to the prime minister of Jamaica and say, "Him feel de same way too an him a de boss"? In theory, yes, but in practice no. The political directorate simply operates in a different sphere from the stage show or concert (though, of course, they may attend a few).
                        In the end, the deejays are on their own and it is left to see who will pursue their course of action and who will back down.
                        The interesting thing, of course, is that Golding's statement comes after Red Stripe's withdrawal from sponsorship of live music events in Jamaica, a move that many have attributed to the anti-gay lyrics of many dancehall entertainers. So, with its UK linkage, if that was really the case, does it now mean that Red Stripe will be regretting the decision, saying: "This thing runs deeper than we thought it did and getting out of sponsoring concerts is not going to help at all"?
                        And since the Sumfest sponsorship slack has been well taken up, the benefits of being title sponsors will accrue to someone else. These are interesting times, indeed.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          The witch analogy is...theatrical!

I agree with the rest of the post. However, I think the PM could have answered in a more "correct" manner.
                          This whole reaction is theatrical.

A few gays on line got it. They were pleased that he actually instructed the security apparatus to pursue anti-gay crimes with the same vigor as other serious crimes. THAT is really what is important!

People can chat fart about global village and other meaningless buzzwords. This is Jamaica we are talking about and certain political realities apply, whether we like it or not. It would be unwise for any GOJ to bow, as they will feel the wrath of the Jamaican people...and all the lovey dovey globall Village support will be for naught. POLITICS is the art of the possible!

Comment

Working...
                          X