Agriculture Ministry saturated with JLP supporters - Clarke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agriculture Ministry saturated with JLP supporters - Clarke

The Opposition claims that the Bruce Golding led administration is showing political favouritism in the appointment of persons to key positions in Government Ministries and Departments.
    Fingers are now being pointed at the Ministry of Agriculture.
    According to the Parliamentary Opposition, Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) supporters have been given various senior positions at the Ministry.
    The matter was raised by former Agriculture Minister Roger Clarke during his contribution to the Sectoral Debate on Tuesday.
    In critiquing Agriculture Minister Dr. Chris Tufton's budget presentation, Mr. Clarke warned the Minister to stop politicising the Ministry by hiring persons affiliated with the JLP.

"The Chairman of RADA (the Rural Agricultural Development Authority) Dr. Omer Thomas was a defeated JLP Candidate, the Executive Director of RADA was the campaign manager of Dr. Thomas and the Special Consultant to the Minister on public relations is the former NDM (National Democratic Movement) spokesperson on agriculture. Right now, the Minister has more advisors than farmers," said Mr. Clarke.
    Government members did not take kindly to his statements and things got so rowdy that House Speaker Delroy Chuck was forced to intervene.

Rethink plans for Caymanas
    Mr. Clarke also poured cold water on Industry Minister Karl Samuda's plan to turn sections of Caymanas in St. Catherine into an industrial park.
    The former Agriculture Minister argued that land in that area is the most fertile in the island and urged Mr. Samuda to reconsider plans to use it for big industry.

"I would ask that (reconsideration be given) to any move to take that prime agricultural land which has irrigation and all that out of agriculture to put into that kind of operation."
    In parliament last week, Mr. Samuda said 500 acres of land have been identified to house the Caymanas Economic Free Zone.
    The facility will comprise clusters of assembly plants, agro-processing facilities, as well as pharmaceutical and software development companies.
    The project is part of the government's plan to provide more jobs for hundreds of Jamaicans.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Still want to know if Dr. Omer Thomas bought his degrees or actually passed some exam for them.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Still want to know if Dr. Omer Thomas bought his degrees or actually passed some exam for them.
      Ask Phillip Paulwell nuh?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Nuh haffi aks nuhbody. If me have my legit university degree and people a run off dem mouth say mi buy it, yuh tink dat a go mek mi walk?!?

Dr. Omer Thomas -

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Nuh haffi aks nuhbody. If me have my legit university degree and people a run off dem mouth say mi buy it, yuh tink dat a go mek mi walk?!?

Dr. Omer Thomas -
          When he was head of the Jamaica Bureau of Standards, Karl Samuda questioned his credentials and Paulwell produced some papers that convinced Samuda that him;

1. Hold a seat
          2. Put him on the JLP ticket.

Suh what was the documents that Paulwell presented?

Comment

Mi cyaan undastan how dem politician dem do dem ting. But the facts remain the same.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

and what FACTS are those ?

Comment

Under the PNP there was a lot of activitst in Agriculture from the Sugar Industry, JAS, Coffee Board, Banana Board etc.

How soon them forget?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                X