• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z$100 couldn't buy a crumb

Z$100 couldn't buy a crumb

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dear Editor,
    I was taken aback by a report I heard on Nationwide radio on May 15 which said that Zimbabwe had issued a Z$500,000,000 note. That same report stated that this note could buy only two loaves of bread, at Z$250,000,000 per loaf.
    Now assuming that each loaf contains a total of 21 slices of bread, then each slice would cost Z$11,900,000 (Z$250,000,000/21). Assuming further that this slice could be broken down into crumbs and that each slice could give as many as 119,000 minute crumbs, then it would cost Z$100 for each crumb (Z$11,900,000/119,000).
    I tried to demolish a slice of bread following a crumb-making recipe appearing in The Cook's Thesaurus, available on the internet (http://www.foodsubs.com/Crumbs.html), into the tiniest of crumbs and could not get more that 1,190 pieces.
    Assuming that my best effort wasn't even 1/10th of the most efficient crumb maker, it would still mean that the most crumbs that one could get from a slice of bread would be 11,900. That would work out at Z$1,000 per crumb.
    Under any stretch of the imagination, Z$100 couldn't even buy a crumb.
    Egerton Chang
    86 Half-Way-Tree Road
    Kingston 10

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Don't even get me started...

Well, some will say at least is Black Man Time. Supposedly getting screwed by your own kind is less painful than being screwed by someone who looks different.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Egerton, you have time... but then again I'm a forumite.

pr
      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Z$100 couldn't buy a crumb

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dear Editor,
        I was taken aback by a report I heard on Nationwide radio on May 15 which said that Zimbabwe had issued a Z$500,000,000 note. That same report stated that this note could buy only two loaves of bread, at Z$250,000,000 per loaf.
        Now assuming that each loaf contains a total of 21 slices of bread, then each slice would cost Z$11,900,000 (Z$250,000,000/21). Assuming further that this slice could be broken down into crumbs and that each slice could give as many as 119,000 minute crumbs, then it would cost Z$100 for each crumb (Z$11,900,000/119,000).
        I tried to demolish a slice of bread following a crumb-making recipe appearing in The Cook's Thesaurus, available on the internet (http://www.foodsubs.com/Crumbs.html), into the tiniest of crumbs and could not get more that 1,190 pieces.
        Assuming that my best effort wasn't even 1/10th of the most efficient crumb maker, it would still mean that the most crumbs that one could get from a slice of bread would be 11,900. That would work out at Z$1,000 per crumb.
        Under any stretch of the imagination, Z$100 couldn't even buy a crumb.
        Egerton Chang
        86 Half-Way-Tree Road
        Kingston 10
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
        X