Finance Minister won’t bully taxpayers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finance Minister won’t bully taxpayers

Finance Minister Audley Shaw said his Ministry will not be bullying taxpayers in a bid to improve revenue collection.
    Instead he said the revamping of the Inland Revenue Department will bring about a more business-like approach.
    Speaking to members of the Kiwanis Club of Kingston Tuesday, Mr. Shaw offered the reassurance that persons who are found to be delinquent will not be bullied into paying.

"Instead of going to threaten someone with debtors' jail, say to someone ‘let's have a payment plan, let's work out something, let's negotiate something' because people we understand have ups and downs in business and there are many slips and slides and we need to understand and appreciate that and work out the system within the context of the need for a healthy respect for our tax system," said Mr. Shaw.
    In the meantime, Mr. Shaw said his ministry is on track with its revenue targets for the first quarter of the year.
    He added that the ministry is looking at innovative methods of tax collection.

"I am very pleased to announce that my revenue targets are on stream we projected 12% increase in revenue in April over last April and I am proud to tell you that we achieved it and surpassed it by several hundred million dollars," he continued.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Shaw, its not even 2 months in the new year ... suh ease up with the "on track with its revenue targets for the first quarter of the year." nuh?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      "Instead of going to threaten someone with debtors' jail, say to someone ‘let's have a payment plan, let's work out something, let's negotiate something' because people we understand have ups and downs in business and there are many slips and slides and we need to understand and appreciate that and work out the system within the context of the need for a healthy respect for our tax system," said Mr. Shaw.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

How you mean ease up. Is how long you think a quarter is?

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
          How you mean ease up. Is how long you think a quarter is?
          When the quarter done tell us that they've met the target. What I want to hear from them is how the continued increase in the cost of oil is going to affect the budget and how they're going to address it.

Comment

Nothing stopping him from doing that also.

Comment

Nothing stopping him from doing that also.
              We not hearing anything. This morning oil reached U$130 per barrel. Mi curious what was the amount they budgeted for.

Comment

What you think they can do about the oil?

Comment

What you think they can do about the oil?
                  Come now Me ... did I say they can do anything about the oil? If they had cast the current budget based on oil being U$100 and with a big player projecting that oil may reach U$150 by the end of the year, you don't see how that could affect the budget?

Comment

Working...
                  X