RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bruce Golding interview on BBC Hardtalk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Golding interview on BBC Hardtalk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/pr...lding20may.ram

or

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...lk/7410382.stm

I like how Bruce deal D B.Man question.

You Ben ? on BBC at dat , Red stripe watch yuh step.The man invoke culture , moral standards etc.

You ask if being homophobic is cultural , I ask is being religous cultural i.e christain , muslim , hindu , rasta etc ?

If your answer is yes , DEN D ARGUMENT DONE !
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Watching it now.....the man was positive, assertive and stuck to his beliefs - "no ********************man in my cabinet", although we know that may not be true.
      Hats off to the man...he was lucky he didn't get the tough guy though...

Comment

DRIVAH !!

I contemplating how Portia woulda manage.....?

sass crise.. wi woulda nevah live down di shame...

Comment

Bruce ah duh di bess him can given his cultural reality.. Jamaica is waay behind the rest of the progressive world.. ah juss suh it set.. California approving Gay Marriage, we just reach "b@ttyman muss keep tings tuh him owna yard..." and "we must not beat dem"

As sure as night follow day yard going to fall in line... ah just reality.. bettah ah man try and stop di sun from shining...

Comment

Don't spoil it now. Maybe she could handled it. He did make a grammatical error which he quickly corrected....he did well even if his answers were not real.

Comment

He could have said that his goverment would use anyone willing to contribute to the development of Jamaica..or smthing like....very politically incorrect..good thing we just a plantation democracy..

Comment

Haven't seen the interview..according to my TV it should have been on at 7:30 pm but all I got was the news.

Anyway, without having heard his answer Bruce knows that in JA to say anything remotely supportive of gayness is political suicide. Change for gays will have to come from the lobbyists and brave foolish souls.

It is hypocritical to equate sexual orientation with moral standards..bettah just say community standards because if we are to believe what people uphold and claim themselves to not be (orientation wise) in jamaica then all the moral decay that we seeing is being perpetrated by who?

pr
                Peter R

Comment

Foolish to equate sexuality with moral standards , A tough argument to sell to biblical people who swear they live by the book.

And there lies the problem the book.A scholar would ask , if as you say it is foolish , is the Bible or books of faith foolish? They call it an abomination ?

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

LOL !!

Continue to live in denial... Hard Talk woulda chew up Portia and spit har out.

What do you mean his answers were not real ????

Comment

Which Biblical people live by the book ?

Stap chat faught.

Comment

You don hear wha Shaggy sing ? "Church heathen" - they are the biggest hypocrites.

pr
                        Peter R

Comment

That would be a religous scholar defence and yours would be the gay rights retort on the good book.

The Battle lines are cleary drawn.Jamaica needs to attack these gay rights group , amnesty etc and declare to them how is it Jamaica is the most homophobic place in the earth when Iran says it doesnt exist , in parts of the muslim and african world its a death sentence?

Attack .Attcak Attack on the grounds of religous morality.

No room for gays
                          Not in my Cabinet, says Golding
                          Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Golding meets Gordon Brown LONDON, England - British Prime Minister Gordon Brown (left) meets the prime minister of Jamaica, Bruce Golding, outside 10 Downing Street in London yesterday. Golding was elected in September 2007 and it is his first official visit to the United Kingdom as prime minister of Jamaica. (Photo: AP)
                          Prime Minister Bruce Golding has forcefully reiterated that homosexuals have no place in his Cabinet, even as he sought to assure gay people that attitudes towards same-sex unions are changing in Jamaica and that the state respects their right to privacy.
                          In a sometimes combative interview with journalist Stephen Sackur on the British Broadcasting Corporation Television's (BBC-TV's) discussion show, Hardtalk, aired yesterday, Golding was emphatic in his declaration that Jamaica would not bow to the dictates of lobby groups who want to define standards and morals for the island.
                          Asked by Sackur whether he was more accepting now of homosexuals, given his declaration in 2006 when he was in Opposition that homosexuals will "find no solace" in any Cabinet formed by him, Golding said that in appointing a Cabinet a prime minister exercises judgement. "That is his exclusive responsibility. There's no right to being in a Cabinet," he said.
                          Sackur, apparently not satisfied with Golding's answer, said: "No, but you've just told me that you believe that Jamaica is on track to give real equality before the law to homosexuals. But you yourself have said that homosexuals will find no solace in any Cabinet formed by me."
                          Golding, however, shot back: "That has nothing to do with equality before the law."
                          Sackur pressed further, asking Golding: "Do you not have a duty to consider people on their merits?" to which the prime minister replied that he considered people in terms of their ability and the extent to which they are going to be able to exercise their function with independence.
                          When Sackur suggested that Golding clearly considered appointing people to his Cabinet based on their sexuality, the prime minister said that it was his responsibility to appoint an executive that will discharge its duties without fear, favour and intimidation.
                          "What kind of signal does that send about Jamaica to the outside world, indeed to potential investors." asked Sackur.
                          "One signal that it sends is that Jamaica is not going to allow values to be imposed on it from outside," replied Golding.
                          "We're gonna have to determine that ourselves, and we're gonna have to determine to what extent those values will adapt over time to change, to changing perceptions and to changing understandings as to how people live, but it can't be on the basis that lobby groups, far away from Jamaica, are going to start to define for Jamaica how it must establish its own standards and its own morals."
                          Jamaica has had a long battle with rights groups who have consistently lambasted the island for its strong opposition to homosexuality.
                          The previous People's National Party Government has, on more than one occasion, told gay lobbyists that they should not try to force the island to accept their way of life.
                          In the BBC interview, Sackur asked Golding whether he would want to live in a Jamaica in the future where homosexuals can be a part of his Cabinet or any Cabinet.
                          "I want to live in a Jamaica where persons are free to conduct their private relations," Golding replied. "But I'm not talking about leading Jamaica in a direction where its own values are going to be assaulted by others."
                          Sackur, however, was still not satisfied. "With respect, that is not an answer to my question," he said. "Let me put it to you one more time. Do you, in the future, want to live in a Jamaica where a gay man or a gay woman can be in the Cabinet?"
                          Golding replied: "Sure they can be in the Cabinet; not mine."
                          Sackur: "But do you want to live in a Jamaica where they can be and they should be and it would be entirely natural for them to be so?"
                          Golding: "I do not know that that is necessarily the direction in which I want my country to go."
                          Earlier in the interview, in response to Sackur's reference to violent attacks on men accused of being homosexuals in Jamaica, Golding said that the authorities were clear that crimes against persons because of their sexual orientation must be pursued with the same vigour as any other crime.
                          He also explained that while Jamaica had a long-standing culture that is very opposed to homosexuality, there is greater acceptance now that people have different lifestyles and that their privacy must be respected.

Comment

Peter hypocrites isnt just an antigay problem ! It it will continue to be as such until the end of time.

The Arab Muslim world will be more accepting of gays before the African world.

Comment

Jamaica! You nuh know is pure war and killing inna the Old Testament? We just living as they lived in biblical times, brother Maudib.

Since Biblical characters supported slavery and oppression I guess we OK with Sudan and Zimbabawe too.
                              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                              X