RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BTW Mo, just to be clear on teh dual citizenship thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTW Mo, just to be clear on teh dual citizenship thing.

You do realize that there is no constit. provision against dual citizens sitting in parliament, right?

The only provision is that you must be a Jakan or CWealth citizen, ordinarily resident in Jam at least 1 year before nom. day and must not have pledged allegience to a foreign power (by your own act) or must have renounced that allegience before hand.

This is why the court is involved, because unless its a clear case of naturalization, then the definition of swearing allegience to a foreign power, by your own act, become a technical distinction and needs a courthouse clarification. There is now a precedence set that renewing the PPT consitutes such an act. Of course, this too has just been appealed.

It is clear that we need to clean up the constitutional provisions around this to make it more clear and to update certain realities.

I have no problems with demand Jakan exclusivity, but I think it must be consistent and tighter. C-wealth exemption needs to go. Also, we should get all candidates to sign a legal declaration on Nomination Day that they are not in violation. It could read something like:
    1) Are U a citizen of Jam?
    2) Are you a naturalized citizen of any other country?
    3) Did you obtain any other citizenship, either by birth or thru parental rights?
    4) If the answer to 3 is yes, have you ever obtained travel doccuments for said countries after the age of 18?
    5) Did you in the past ever hold a foreign citizenship(s) that was renounced or otherwise relinquished?
    6) If the answer to 5 is yes, when did this change in status occur?

That should be sufficient to cause us never to relive this near useless distraction in the future.

Originally posted by Willi View Post
    You do realize that there is no constit. provision against dual citizens sitting in parliament, right?

The only provision is that you must be a Jakan or CWealth citizen, ordinarily resident in Jam at least 1 year before nom. day and must not have pledged allegience to a foreign power (by your own act) or must have renounced that allegience before hand.

This is why the court is involved, because unless its a clear case of naturalization, then the definition of swearing allegience to a foreign power, by your own act, become a technical distinction and needs a courthouse clarification. There is now a precedence set that renewing the PPT consitutes such an act. Of course, this too has just been appealed.
    Just for edification - Exactly why did the courts rule that Vaz had not conformed to the 'rules'?

I do not know what the ruling stated!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Agreed. And Danville fell down on the job royally by not implementing such a questionnaire. I think that should be his responsibility. At the very least, he had no business saying that everyone was properly nominated.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

By renewing his passport, that action amounted to pledging allegiance to the USA.

And that's why Sharon Hay-Webster's case is different. According to reports, she has never renewed her passport. In fact, I'm not sure she even has a US passport. That's only one difference between the two cases.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

AND those who appointed danville MUST shoulder some responsibility, or not?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Law Lord, is what kind of almshouse yuh a defen ?

The matter of dual citizenship has taken centre stage. While the Constitution must be followed to the letter, one cannot help asking how come a person aged 21 from a country like, say, Vanuatu (where Bislama and French are among the languages spoken) could live in Jamaica for a year and then be deemed eligible for a seat in Parliament on the strength of being a Commonwealth citizen, while a Jamaican who has spent all his or her life here would be disqualified by virtue of dual citizenship. Hmmm, something to think about.

The great Framers.... Poor framers never realize seh dem a leave di country and constitution in the hands of morons..

LOL !

Comment

I suspect Danville was occupied with more pressing issues..

LOL !

Comment

Danville shoulda prepare the questionaire to give himself at the job interview.

Comment

Certainly!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    By renewing his passport, that action amounted to pledging allegiance to the USA.

And that's why Sharon Hay-Webster's case is different. According to reports, she has never renewed her passport. In fact, I'm not sure she even has a US passport. That's only one difference between the two cases.
                    What did the judge say?
                    Is there somewhere on the web I can get at the judge's opinion(s) and ruling(s)?
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

That is what the judge said, Karl. You would have to go back to the newspapers following the ruling to get more of a verbatim account.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        That is what the judge said, Karl. You would have to go back to the newspapers following the ruling to get more of a verbatim account.
                        Just found this!

http://drpaulashley.blogspot.com/

btw - Who is Dr. Paul Ashley?

Comment

did someone say farmers of the constitution? big difference that you know!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

If Hay Webster have U.S. citizenship, it nuh matter whether or not she renew the passport, she's still a U.S. citizen. FACT or FICTION?

I too can say I'm a Jakan citizen, even though I have an expired passport - nuh suh
                            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                            - Langston Hughes

Comment

hmmmm that would mean that renunciation is the only cure for that, which is what seaga did, and at that time he would have had the benefit of having the framers of the constitution to guide him......hmmmmmmm

interesting point. does she have a us social security number?

Comment

Working...
                              X