RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ammunition for Patois in Schools Movement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dis medium is inadequate to explain to you di reason behind what gamma and I are saying. Just go back to what I found on the Internet:

Studies show that children attending supplementary courses in their mother tongue will master the official language of the region better.

I am arguing that English is not our mother tongue. Maybe that's where we need to start.

Is English our mother tongue, Lazie?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Dis medium is inadequate to explain to you di reason behind what gamma and I are saying. Just go back to what I found on the Internet:

Studies show that children attending supplementary courses in their mother tongue will master the official language of the region better.

I am arguing that English is not our mother tongue. Maybe that's where we need to start.

Is English our mother tongue, Lazie?
      So if its not English is what then? Igbo?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

No, seriously, Lazie. Ansa mi just dis once - is English our mother tongue? Remember, "our" means more than those of us who ply between Jacks Hill, New Kingston, Campion and parts of St. Ann.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          No, Karl. There is already "standard patois" out there. Ms Lou and Ms Cooper may differ but only slightly.

You now, whole diffrant ball game. For instance, how di hell you get "talk" to translate into "taa-k"?!? Hyphen?!? WT-F!
          So is taaalk correct...or taaak...or...?
          How many "a"s must our patois pronunciation for talk have? What is the spelling for the "k" sound?

...and who determines the "standard patois"? ...sets the inflexible patois dictionary guidelines? Ms. Lou, Dr. Cooper or....?

Finally I have not a clue...and therefore write as it sounds coming out of my mouth! Certainly when I speak no one see spelling???? Right???
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I undasta-n, Kaa-l!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

or as the stush would say "crawle"....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

unnuh tek set 'pon campion eh?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Do you believe we should encourage TEACHING IN patois ?

The fix for the low capacity for comminication in Standard english is to teach in Patois ??

Heh, heh. Before we attempt to be profound maybe we should attempt to master the less profound... properly enable the education system to transfer core knowledge at the basic and primary level.

A poor teacher in a poor system cannot turn out good students merely by having them instruct in patois... mi know unnuh rate di patois ting but tek time..

Comment

Do as I do.. not as I say...

LOL !

Comment

Poor teachers, poor system.

Work on fixing dat.

Stop trying to be profound wi nuh reach di level yet to be profound.. white man can afford to attempt profundity.. dem master di basics.

Mi tell yuh ahready seh nuh assume teacha a teach inna english.

Comment

baby steps....maybe eventually....but my immediate advocacy is for it to be taught

Comment

Well.. mi nuh have nuh problem with that.. as long as it is an option.

Will your son be doing French, Patios or Civics ?

Comment

What wrong wid Accord?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuh nuh si di price of Gas ?

Comment

depends on where he is at that time.....

Comment

Working...
                                X