RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ammunition for Patois in Schools Movement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patois is ours. We need to embrace it. Let those verandah socialites continue to twist up dem face when dem 'ear it!

Gamma, one day, you and I will be at Kings House receiving our ODs for our work in bringing scholarship and pride to our native tongue. Watch and see!

Mosiah, OD

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Same ting. Nuh English di maths book dem write inna?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
          Speaking of patois, Karl is the undisputed best writer of patois on the site. 'ail up Mas Karl.

Patois provides words that convey meaning that standard English doesn't without getting into circumlocution.

I believe though that the study of patois should be done in the context of Jamaican studies (e.g.history or social studies).

And the argument highlighted in red isn't really the situation in Jamaica is it? We not talking about immigrant children are we? You feel if we encourage the use of patois standard English might be better learnt?

pr
          Well, Sir Pr...I write as I hear...that is as heard from cradle to present...then attempt to convey the sounds and nuances.

Never studied our patois...and never will!
          jus taa-k! ...suh mi get hit, suh mi deliver hit! ...and who the hell can prove those who give us 'so called formal patois' are really right? Does Ms. Lou not put 'hit hout dere' di-frant dan Carolyn Cooper...and does she not...?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Patois is ours. We need to embrace it. Let those verandah socialites continue to twist up dem face when dem 'ear it!

Gamma, one day, you and I will be at Kings House receiving our ODs for our work in bringing scholarship and pride to our native tongue. Watch and see!

Mosiah, OD
            People talking in patios is one thing ... teaching it in school is sheer madness. Dem already having problems learning in English ... why confuse dem more? Our generation didn't learn in patios suh why now?

Using it in poetry, drama and lit is fine.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

No, Karl. There is already "standard patois" out there. Ms Lou and Ms Cooper may differ but only slightly.

You now, whole diffrant ball game. For instance, how di hell you get "talk" to translate into "taa-k"?!? Hyphen?!? WT-F!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

why teach SPANISH or any other language other than english? don't is the same set a confused people?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Our generation? We have always struggled to speak the Queen's English. Yuh more helping my argument than yours when yuh say dat.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

in ENGLAND dem struggle to speak the queen's english...dem speak and write the queen's english in america?!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Our generation? We have always struggled to speak the Queen's English. Yuh more helping my argument than yours when yuh say dat.
                      We have? Sorry, let me correct it then ... I've never had a problem speaking english.
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I thought our work was done.

A luta continua!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So citing your proficiency with the language is evidence that we as a country are also proficient? Say it ain't so, Lazie!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

brawta......

Comment

So citing your proficiency with the language is evidence that we as a country are also proficient? Say it ain't so, Lazie!
                              I made the mistake by saying "our" and you shot that down ... maybe because of your difficulty with english, so I corrected it.

Our primary language is English, why would anyone want to take the backward step to teach our children in patios? If you were conducting an interview to recruit a new employee and all he spoke was patios, would you be impressed?

Comment

...and a 'little more than that'...the teachers do not often introduce the subject and its topics in an interesting way...rather they seem to attempt, when teaching Mathematics, throwing everything they were taught about teaching out the window.

It is fact that too many of our kids are taught...YUP taught...that Mathematics is 'hard fi learn'. Teachers either consciously pass on to the kids a 'turn off' or having inherited that 'turn off' themselves, subconsciously pass on the 'turn off'. It is, I think, a subject where when concepts are understood...you in a real sense do not have to study (not totally true....but you certainly will remember the various formula and see the logic of 'the steps' -see/understand the logical thinking process as you learn and move on to problem solving...

Kids are wide-eyed caught in the headlights...inquisitive & inordinately curious beings. Concepts...'understanding concepts'/'discovering' concepts is sure turn on!

Make the teaching/learning experiences interesting and fun - butta!

Fun! = Teachers will work harder at preparing for class and finding ways to present the subject matter in an interesting way.

Fun! = Kids will eagerly 'devour' the info passed on...and will be constantly seeking 'more'!
                                Last edited by Karl; May 21, 2008, 11:36 AM.
                                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                                X