X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Klansman endorses Obama

Sen. Robert C. Byrd endorses Obama

1 hour, 40 minutes ago

Sen. Robert C. Byrd, a former member of the Ku Klux Klan and a one-time opponent of civil rights legislation, endorsed Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination on Monday.
    Obama is vying to be the nation's first black president.
    Byrd's support comes almost a week after the Illinois senator's 41-point loss to Hillary Rodham Clinton in the longtime lawmaker's home state of West Virginia.

Byrd said he had no intention of getting involved while his state was in the midst of a primary. "But the stakes this November could not be higher," he said in a written statement.
    Byrd said Obama has the qualities to end the Iraq war, which he has strongly opposed.
    "I believe that Barack Obama is a shining young statesman, who possesses the personal temperament and courage necessary to extricate our country from this costly misadventure in Iraq, and to lead our nation at this challenging time in history," Byrd said.

Byrd has repeatedly apologized for his time in the Ku Klux Klan, which he joined as a young man in the 1940s to fight communism. He also opposed integrating the military, and filibustered the 1964 Civil Rights Act.
    Byrd is the longest-serving senator in history. As Senate president pro tempore, he is in line for the presidency after the vice president and House speaker.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Poor Hillary.. what next ?

Former Feminists backing Obama ?

Comment

now, that IS a surprise... robert c. byrd or west virginia endorsing a black man for president of the united states of america... what next...
      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

I wonder why

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
        Sen. Robert C. Byrd endorses Obama

1 hour, 40 minutes ago

Sen. Robert C. Byrd, a former member of the Ku Klux Klan and a one-time opponent of civil rights legislation, endorsed Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination on Monday.
        Obama is vying to be the nation's first black president.
        Byrd's support comes almost a week after the Illinois senator's 41-point loss to Hillary Rodham Clinton in the longtime lawmaker's home state of West Virginia.

Byrd said he had no intention of getting involved while his state was in the midst of a primary. "But the stakes this November could not be higher," he said in a written statement.
        Byrd said Obama has the qualities to end the Iraq war, which he has strongly opposed.
        "I believe that Barack Obama is a shining young statesman, who possesses the personal temperament and courage necessary to extricate our country from this costly misadventure in Iraq, and to lead our nation at this challenging time in history," Byrd said.

Byrd has repeatedly apologized for his time in the Ku Klux Klan, which he joined as a young man in the 1940s to fight communism. He also opposed integrating the military, and filibustered the 1964 Civil Rights Act.
        Byrd is the longest-serving senator in history. As Senate president pro tempore, he is in line for the presidency after the vice president and House speaker.

... Politics make strange bedfellows, however some folks are wondering if some folks are supporting Obama until he locks up the nomination then they support John McCain.
        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

if so, what can be done about that?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Nothing. And I doubt there are any significant number of people like that anyway.

Is funny how this Obama success is difficult for many of us to wrap our mind around, me included. First he had no chance, then he would be killed before he had a chance, then Billary would steal it, then.......
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

not me, my initial belief was that he should not have run now, once he decided to run i have really admired his campaign. he is very astute, shrewd and so far i he has run a steady campaign. he has made some missteps but far less than the other candidates.

* i like the way he has handled the wright issue ;
              * i like that he hasn't gone for the cheap shots (bosnia, the tears, the departure from the FL & MI accord signed LAST year.

*don't like, the "leave michelle alone" tone. it is protective but she has put herself out there
              * didn't like the clinging to guns and religion statement
              * don't like the "preconditions" spin.....this one he has to work through.

hillary is VERY intelligent but she relied too much on the old style campaigning thing (i guess because it worked for 2 campaigns with Bill). that is why obama's campaign seems so fresh because it has been tailored to the times (the youth vote especially). this is another error in judgment on hillary's part.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

your problem is the constant sewage yo listen from the Limbaugh's Hannity's, and Ingrams of the world....

I notice mCain with all is expertise thinks Ahmadinejad is the leader of Iran? add that plus is pro NAFTA, CAFATA views, anti minimum wage votes, anti-women rights votes, lobbyist (who work for foreign governments)ties, 95% george bush voting record,etc..makes it an uphill battle.....not to mention that the Republicans are going to have spend heavily in FL, GA, NC, Mississippi(Barack only needs 1/3 of the white vote in that state)...and o yes is global warming acknowledgement(I can see the conservatives face now)... yo bwoii grandaddi McCain ago have a hard times...yo hear bout Sydney Mccain's Somolia dealings?
                Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

if a man don't want fi defend him wife, how him ago defend the country?

his preconditions arguement is simple...How can the preconditions be the subjects we will negotiating about?

hillbillies are bitter! .... let me go sip my latte
                  Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                  Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

sigh

remember when yuttie could only recite vybz kartel? look at him now!

sigh! latte even!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Time

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                      Nothing. And I doubt there are any significant number of people like that anyway.

Is funny how this Obama success is difficult for many of us to wrap our mind around, me included. First he had no chance, then he would be killed before he had a chance, then Billary would steal it, then.......

Include me too...I still have my doubts...and he better be careful how he takles the status quo...he need to continue to move wisely and tactitcally....and Billary can still steal the election. All you need is a relevation...followed by an implusion...
                      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

dat mi a seh !!

Mi waan know if is di same person !

Comment

Yuttie ??

Is you dat ?

Comment

Yuttie?
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Your problem is that you constantly listen to one side and not the other, and so are like a crackhead high on Obama.

MCCain should not even be close to any Democrat given the economic and political climate of this post-Bush election, yet he is statistically tied with both. How you explain that?

Unoo moveon.org types so out of touch it nuh funny.
                              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                              X