Sports Tourism Policy to be Developed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Tourism Policy to be Developed

The Ministries of Tourism and Information, Culture, Youth and Sports, are to collaborate on the development of a sports tourism policy.
    Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, speaking in the 2008/09 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on Wednesday (May 14), said that a team comprising representatives from both ministries and key figures from the sporting arena will be established to formulate the policy. The move, he said, was in recognition of the impact that sports tourism has on the country's growth and development.

"Sports tourism is an area of great emphasis for us. We are establishing a team with the Ministry of Sports and some of the leaders of the main sporting activities that bring visitors to the island - cricket, football, athletics, golf, basketball, and so on, recognizing that we have tremendous facilities, some of which are very idle, that can be fully utilized and can bring (in) investments, income, and jobs to the people of our country," the Minister stated.
    He informed that the Government was looking to fully and better utilize a number of facilities, including the Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium, Sabina Park, and the National Stadium, "as we try to bring in large sporting events over the next few years."

Mr. Bartlett also announced plans to aggressively promote Jamaica as a golf destination in a bid to "develop the top-end of our (tourism) market."
    "There are so many good reasons for this. our proximity to the world's largest outbound (tourism) market - the United States; our excellent all-year round climate; our good airlift; our 12 world class golf courses, our highly trained caddies, and indeed our out of this world presence in the marketplace. (These) are all driving forces that are propelling players of all category and variety to come," Mr. Bartlett stated, adding that 32 million people live in Jamaica's primary tourism destinations, who are driven by the sport of golf.

http://www.jis.gov.jm/parliament/htm..._DEVELOPED.asp
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

As the Forum's resident golf expert, and having played several courses in Jamaica, I disagree with the phrase "12 world-class courses."

White Witch and Tryall are the only two courses capable of hosting a major international pro golf courses. I have played both. White Witch
    with the Ritz Hotel chain as a major sponsor, has the best chance.

Half Moon Bay and Cinnamon Hill look like fine courses, they could probably host a second-tier event. I have not played either course.

Breezes Runaway Bay , Caymanas, and Sandals are well above average, and could host a second-tier event, such as Seniors, LPGA, or European Tour. I have played all three, and I know Breezes as well as the caddies. Breezes drawback to a world-class event is the lack of a full-size driving range and not enough space for parking, corporate tents, etc.

Constant Spring is a decent course, OK if you are staying in New Kingston. To go from Portmore to play Constant Spring, factoring in cab fare, green fees, and caddie fees, is a waste of money. I would rather take my chances with the horses.

Ironshore has some interesting holes, but was in terrible condition when I played there. Every time I go past Ironshore, the course looks brown and burnt.

I have not played Negril Hills.

Manchester Golf Club and Gran Lido Braco are nine-hole courses.

Comment

What about the course in New Kingston ?

Comment

If you are talking about Constant Spring Golf Club, it's OK if you are staying in New Kingston.

The Cable & Wireless Golf Academy in New Kingston is a driving range, not a golf course.

Comment

Tryall hosted the JW World Champs for the first 5 years. It has the most pedigree.

Comment

Technicality...

Comment

Ignorance....

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I nevah even boddah tell him seh di New Kingston driving range have a Golf Course right next to it.

Comment

C&W Golf Academy = About Us Page

This is from the C&W Golf Academy, linked through the Jamaica Golf Association www.jamaicagolfassociation.com

Nestled between Emancipation Park and Liguanea Tennis and Squash Club and within walking distance of New Kingston’s
                  popular hotels, the Cable & Wireless National Golf Academy is the island’s first public driving range and putting green.

It is located on lands with a view of New Kingston’s towering buildings and the distant Blue Mountains. Spanning an impressive 240 yards, the driving range plays like a real golf course with undulating fairways, 6 manicured greens and well-placed holes, bunkers and ponds. From the Academy’s 23 bays you may
                  practice your swing and drive, or on the adjacent putting green,
                  you may hone you short game skills.

Our Amenities include:
                  23 Artificial-turf Practice Bays
                  Target Greens - Distance Calibrated
                  Large Putting Green, Chipping Green & Sand Bunker
                  Rental of Clubs and Accessories
                  Corporate & Individual Membership
                  Available for Private Functions

Opened from 8:30 a.m. to 10pm, the Academy is well lit at nights, and the cost of using the facility is simply the price of renting a
                  bucket of golf balls, approximately J$250. You may bring your
                  clubs or rent clubs from the Academy for a nominal fee.

J$250 is a good price for a bucket of golf balls at a driving range. However, I would NOT want to be walking around New Kingston with a set of golf clubs which would make me a target for theives.

Comment

Why yuh a waste yuh time argue wid him bout certain tings? Di ongle Golf him know have 4 wheel.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes but they don't talk about the Golf course right next door to it.

I assumed the driving range was part of the whole package.

Comment

Working...
                      X