Dual citizens in Parliament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual citizens in Parliament

The lady Colombia Pres is a dual French natrional. Vaclev Havel of Czech republic is a US citizen, as was the Polish Prez. The GG of Canada has dual citizenship. Tons of countries allow their top dogs to have dual citizenship.

However, I see nothing wrong with excluding them if you have worries of apparent conflicts of interest (COI). One technicality is WHEN they need to shed the offending citizenship. Hayles did so AFTER being elected and sitting in Parliament (October). Sure, he started the process before Nomination Day and it took that time. However, we must realize that the US could have TURNED down the application and also that in Sept/Oct Hayles was STILL a naturalized US citizen sitting in parliament for that time!!! That is the clearest violation of the consitution we know of. Did not even need a judge to figure it out.

Here is my problem with the current regs in Jam. It does not exclude CWealth citizens...HOWEVER, the definition of Commonwealth has CHANGED since the 1960s. Back then what was meant is that citizens of countries that were former British subjects that swore loyalty to the same Queen, HAD no C.O.I.

Well, much has changed since then, as this sort of reciprocity has gone away (or never existed in the case of the Bahamas and maybe Canada, though it still exists in England). Furthermore, the status of many CW countries have changed. TnT is now a Republic and theoretically their Prez is a Foreign Power! Mozambique, which was never a Brit. colony, does not hafve English as an official language and never swore allegience to the Queen is now a member of the Commonwealth and technically their citizens can become MPs in Jamaica after 1 year of residence!!

Finally, given the visa exclusion situation in most cases, it is more relevant to include ONLY Caricom States in the exemption, not CW ones! The Constitution DOES need changing, even if we decide to maintain exclusions to most dual nationals!!!

One other point, there is no exclusion for green-card holders, but they enjoy most of the rights of US citizens and can run away at a moments notice. Same for permanent resident of other countries. Is that consistent?

I give you Alberto Fujimori, former president of Peru and holder of dual citizenship, who sought refuge in Japan when he was in trouble in Peru.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mo, you read what I posted??

I am NOT disagreeing with you on exclusion, just saying that it can be argued both ways, if we choose Intl precedent.

I have no probs with an exclusion requirement, BUT if we keep it it SHOULD be modernized as I indicated. What we have now is an anachronism.

For the record, I understand you reasoning about COI and Fujimorri is a good, coherent and powerful example! I dont understand why you have become so strident and emotional, when you have good, copmpelling arguments and a good debating head to put it forward!!!

Comment

Why do you think I am emotional about this?!? There is no compromise (except regarding Commonwealth citizens) in my book so there is no need for emotion.

Btw, is the Commonwealth anything more than a games held every 4 years?

And, how come our GG can have dual citizenship?!? Dat nuh mek nuh sense eedah!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So you agree it needs cleaning up, the constitution that is!

It is an anachronism.

BTW, no exemption for Caricom??

Not even for your beloved Trinis? LoL

Comment

Yes, it needs cleaning up. Said dat long time! As soon as mi realise say a Trini could become PM, mi know sinting did wrong wid di constitution!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yeah man.. dis part of di constitution is killing Jamaica.

I hope is not this preventing us from juss bring in some farin white man/woman and replace all di permanent secretaries...

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                Yes, it needs cleaning up. Said dat long time! As soon as mi realise say a Trini could become PM, mi know sinting did wrong wid di constitution!
                Lawks Mo - I feel your pain
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Mosiah has a point.

Though it is not critical (in our current context, as we never had an issue so far), it is a consistent stand and removes the appearance of a COI.

I have no problem in demanding a higher standard of commitment if choosing to serve as MP. I would even go further and DEMAND that all MPs must live in their constituency... at least 25% of the time.

Comment

The good thing about this is an outdated law has been exposed, now we need to update it to be relevant.

The law is being guarded on the basis of 'close elections' according to Mosiah.

If this is not evidence of a law needing to be removed I don't know what is.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                      I would even go further and DEMAND that all MPs must live in their constituency... at least 25% of the time.
                      As fi dat! I absolutely abhorred the relocation of Vaz and Dabdoub to Portland to run as MP. These Jamaican whites saving the hapless people of Portland. Sass say him nuh mind, and him come from dehso, so who is me?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Vaz white???

Dont make me laugh! In America, who would call him white...steeuuuuppsss.

Now almost every politician in Jam is a carpetbagger. Portia never lived one day in PainLand and Bruce lucky if he can find Tivoli without a Chauffeur. LoL

Nah, they are mostly all "immigrants".

Comment

I agree.. wi need some Farin whites to save us.. wi mek a mistake in 1962..wi need to confess, make the neccessary changes and move on.. why wi continue to fool ourselves is beyond me... wi cyaan manage di wuk !

Comment

By our standards, him white like di driven snow! It's not so much about his actual colour. I have no problem with that. It's the mentality that often comes with it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not even close....but his mentality...well I wont argue with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X